14'4" x 18'2", big enough???

bstroud

Deceased
I would say "go for it".

Get a short cue for the few shots needed.

Allen Hopkins learned to play in just such a situation.
Didn't turn out too bad for him.

Bill S.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
14’ 4” room width = 172”

9’ table playing area width = 50”
2 cues x 58” each = 116”
Total = 166”

Perpendicular stroking room = 6” (3” per side)

pj
chgo

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
The oversized 8’ table would work, and you’d never have a complaint.

If you decide to go foe the 9’ table, which you know you’ll have a challenge once in a while, I would suggeat getting a weighted short cue, commercially available from a few differwnt companies. My BalanceRite short cue is weighted and balanced so well that I can actually play racks with it without any issue (except for stretched out shots of course).

Weighted short Balance Rite 52”

Freddie <~~~ never needed it

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I would say "go for it".

Get a short cue for the few shots needed.

Allen Hopkins learned to play in just such a situation.
Didn't turn out too bad for him.

Bill S.

Um, if this guy says its OK. Well then I hope you know what to do!

Trent from Toledo

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
14’ 4” room width = 172”

9’ table playing area width = 50”
2 cues x 58” each = 116”
Total = 166”

Perpendicular stroking room = 6” (3” per side)

pj
chgo

My room was 14' 3", and it worked out . I rarely had to get my short cue out. Like never. But, I'm short. Anyone that is taller (that's like... everyone but Alex P.) and spreads that back leg backwards would be up against the wall.

The question for the OP's situation is really about the 18'2" dimension, which looks like it would work for an oversized 8', but would be super tight for the 9'.

Freddie <~~~ not an NBA candidate

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here's a spreadsheet "room size calculator" that shows the room sizes needed for different tables and different amounts of stroking room.

It shows that, with a 9-footer, your 14' 4" room width gives you 3" of stroking room per side, but you'd need 18' 6" to get 3" of stroking room on each end (so you'd only have 1" on each end in your room).

But with a full size 8-footer your 14' 4" x 18' 2" room gives you 5" all around.

pj
chgo

Attachments

• room size.JPG
    room size.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
My room was 14' 3", and it worked out . I rarely had to get my short cue out. Like never. But, I'm short. Anyone that is taller (that's like... everyone but Alex P.) and spreads that back leg backwards would be up against the wall.

The question for the OP's situation is really about the 18'2" dimension, which looks like it would work for an oversized 8', but would be super tight for the 9'.

Freddie <~~~ not an NBA candidate

Good observation, I never thought about that part. Now I have one more question to ask clients when they tell me they have a tight space!
Thanks

Trent from Toledo- I am 6' 1" <~~~~~me either

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Here's a spreadsheet "room size calculator" that shows the room sizes needed for different tables and different amounts of stroking room.

It shows that, with a 9-footer, your 14' 4" room width gives you 3" of stroking room per side, but you'd need 18' 6" to get 3" of stroking room on each end (so you'd only have 1" on each end in your room).

But with a full size 8-footer your 14' 4" room width gives you 5" of stroking room per side and your 18' 2" room length gives you 5" per end.

pj
chgo

I did all the math in my earlier post and I used all the measurement to the outside edge of the table and we all know Diamonds have 7-8" rails, so that gives some wigggle room to the nose of the cushion. It works out with very little in the room. Not to mention how many 9' I have actually installed in tight spaces.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Yeah, but that chart and its ilk are just stupid and dupe too many people. People need to know what they're up against (har har) when putting a table into tight spaces. Obviously, you know this.

I like Pat's chart much better. It shows the backswing. One of the things that we also should consider is the cuestick actual length. With tip and bumper, 58" is incorrect, especially with a tall bumper like McDermotts. And anyone who wants to play with an extension, forget the Brunswick chart.

Freddie <~~~ needs an extension

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will measure my width at home, but I do tap my butt down there. It happens pretty often when I play with all my balls.

Normal length stick.

Out of in you end os...or was i?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I will measure my width at home, but I do tap my butt down there. It happens pretty often when I play with all my balls.

Normal length stick.

Out of in you end os...or was i?

you are friggin HILARIOUS!

I am sure you are great company at the pool room!

:)

Trent from Toledo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Sorry Craig but its not big enough. My room is 23' x 14' 4". Its just big enough to fit my Olhausen 8'+ (46 x 92) with a 4" stroke and 9' will not fit!

Sincerely,

Bob Olson
TWOFORPOOL

No disrespect sir, but, you might want to learn to use a tape measure. :)

Trent from Toledo

lmfao

3rd grade math?
A 4" stroke sounds about right to me, if you consider the rubber bumper on a 58" cue. At least my chart says so.

pj <- all about the chart
chgo

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The room size is fine. No, you won't be asked to host the Mosconi cup, but it will get the job done. I had almost the exact same sized room with a 9 foot diamond and had no issues. If you are frozen to the rail and shooting perpendicular to it (a rarity), you aren't going to be using a 18 inch backstroke anyway. I can't ever recall it even being an issue for me. I do agree with other posts regarding a lack of room for anything else, but otherwise I say go for it.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
The room is too small. You'll need at least a 15' X 20' space for a 9' table. Shorty sticks are horrible. Stick with the 7' table.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say go for it if you want a 9'. You have enough room.

In the long direction, you will have 59" from the cushion nose to the wall. That leaves room for a 1" backswing if you are using a 58" cue.

In the short direction you will have 61" from the cushion nose to the wall. That leaves room for a 3" backswing if you are using a 58" cue.

One important thing to be sure of is the measurements you gave. Did you take them yourself by measuring with a tape measure from wall to wall? Or are they off of some floor plan provided by a realtor or builder? I would not trust a floor plan measurement as far as I could throw a 9' pool table.

Good advice right here.

I used to have a 14'-4" wide room with a 9' table and it worked fine.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
You may want to ask yourself if you jack up when shooting frozen and perpendicular to the rail while considering your choices.

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an 8.5' in a tighter space than that, relatively. You'll adjust. IMO most of the concern you're having now during the planning phase, it just goes away once it's setup. Sure, you want to plan as best as possible, but based on my own experience, your space is enough for a 9'. As one example, I didn't get a weighted 52", I didn't even know they existed at the time, so I just got 48" and 36" house cues. Yes, the 36" is just plain awful - plan to miss, unless it's an easy safety or something. But the 48" is no problem to play, not at all. And it's pretty seldom you'll even need the 48".
EDIT: My planning was for a solo practice space only; I did not account for entertaining / guests. Entertaining has other considerations.

Last edited: