1967 Balabushka Cue / Tascarella Authentication

Bill Yerd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Original Condition George Balabushka Cue Burton Spain Blank Tascarella Authentication

SOLD
I had an 18 minute phone conversation with Pete Tascarella Sr. on September 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM about his cue.
Pete was very kind and helpful.

Pete looked up his copy of the Letter Of Authentication and remembered the cue and working with the original owner.

Pete said he can make a matching second shaft for the cue to your/the buyers specifications with a phenolic ferrule for $225 or with an Ivory ferrule for $300.

With a second custom made shaft you would be able to preserve the pristine condition of the original shaft and tip and play with the second shaft which would be custom made to your specifications.

Pete said that when he wrote the Letter Of Authentication for this cue he used the term "white" instead of the term he now uses "natural" when describing the maple/natural colored veneers.

Pete explained this by telling me that there wasn't any actual white colored veneers back when this cue was made and later cue makers started using bleached wood to create white veneers.

Pete also confirmed that my asking price was accurate for this cue in it's current excellent unrestored original condition.

Please see Letter Of Authentication for cue specifications and details.
Letter Of Authentication provided by Peter A. Tascarella Sr. of Tascarella Custom Cues.
Not mentioned by Pete in his letter is this cue comes with the original black vinyl case sold with the cue by George Balabushka in George's garage and an interesting handwritten detailed story of the original owners acquisition of this cue.
The story includes the explanation behind there being only one shaft and how George died while owing a second shaft to the owner of this cue.
The original owner has confirmed that the cue was made in 1967 and purchased in the spring of 1968.

This cue as stated by Pete, is in excellent un-restored condition.
This cue still has the original tip installed by George Balabushka when new.
AzBilliards only allows for five images to be downloaded.(More photos available. See details below)
Please see the five photos I have provided.
The cue is in almost perfect condition other than a few hair line marks on the ferrule from normal use and very small ding just above the collar on the shaft.

Now is a great time to purchase this cue.
The value or resale price of this cue will only go up.
The economy is poor right now and my low asking price and best offer format reflect that.
Every year there will be fewer authentic and original Balabushka cues in the world and it will become much more rare to find one in this type of unrestored original condition.

Escrow services will be provided using a well known, experienced and respected AzBilliards member that I have already contacted and he is aware of the pending sale of this cue and has seen the photos.
I will absorb/cover the cost of the escrow services from this provider.
If you would like to suggest a different escrow service provider that I agree to use, you will be responsible for any escrow service fees or costs incurred.
I prefer Cashiers Check for payment.
You are welcome to use PayPal, but must agree to an additional charge of 3.9% of the selling price to cover the cost of additional PayPal fees.

Please contact me for additional photos and or if you have any questions and or if you have specific information that you think will help me sell the cue.
I can explain how escrow services work if you are not familiar with them.
Please respect my time and effort and do not request additional photos or information unless you are a serious prospective buyer.
You can PM me and let me know if you would like to keep all details of the transaction private.
We can exchange contact information.

Thank You for your interest.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 4,910
  • DSCN0023 - Copy.jpg
    DSCN0023 - Copy.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 5,323
  • DSCN0008.jpg
    DSCN0008.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 4,996
  • Tascarella Letter Of Authenticity 2.jpg
    Tascarella Letter Of Authenticity 2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 5,013
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 5,025
Last edited:

Bill Yerd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Original George Balabushka Cue / Burton Spain Blank

It really is a nice cue.
You are welcome to suggest your own escrow service provider.
I have many more pics if anybody is interested.
I am open to reasonable offers.
Thanks for looking.

Bill Yerd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bushka George Balabushka Cue For Sale Price Drop

Price drop to $8,900 Or Best Offer
PM me if you would like to keep the transaction private and or if you have any information or leads that might help me sell the cue.
Thank You.

Bill Yerd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent Unrestored Condition George Balabushka Cue

Thank You both for your encouraging words of endorsement.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Out of curiosity, how can one tell that it's a Spain blank rather than a Szam? Just trying to learn something today. :)

Bill Yerd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Burton Spain & Gus Szamboti Blank Differences?

Out of curiosity, how can one tell that it's a Spain blank rather than a Szam? Just trying to learn something today. :)

That question could probably be best answered by Pete Tascarella Sr. or Barry Szamboti, but I am sure their are some AzBilliards forum members that are very experienced with the two blanks.
I am fairly sure somebody on this forum would be proud to give us a detailed answer, impress us with their knowledge and correct or maybe confirm my guesses below. We will also probably be asked to move this discussion to the proper forum category, but I appreciate your interest and the bump.

I am going to guess that Boti blanks have more even points and are less likely to have visible glue lines.
I would also think that there might be a few differences in the dimensions or specifications of each blank such as the length of the points and space between the points etc...

Bill Yerd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternative Escrow Services For Balabushka Cue Sale

I would like to also suggest Scot Sherbine of Proficient Billiards to provide Escrow service for this cue if buyer does not want to use the well known, respected and most popular Escrow Service Provider from AzBilliards I have previously mentioned. I have done business with Scot in the past and find him to be very professional and trustworthy and I am sure many of you have also.
Here is a link to Scot's description of what he will provide with his Escrow Service taken from the Proficient Billiards website:
http://www.proficientbilliards.com/services/escrowservice.htm

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0

For us laymen, the few Szamboti Bushka's I've seen have been birdseye forearms. For Pete he can measure the angle of the points. Each cuemaker uses a different jig to cut the points, so that is one way to do it. Veneer thickness is another.

Chris

Last edited:

Bill Yerd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Original Authentic George Balabushka Cue For Sale

Thank You to everybody that looked at this cue and to those of you who provided helpful information.
I really was hoping to sell the cue by now.
I will keep it posted here on AzBilliards and hope somebody realizes what a great cue and piece of history it is and can afford to make the purchase.

Bill Yerd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Balabushka Billiard Cue Pool Stick For Sale

what color are the veneers and is there any unusually active wood grain on the butt

dean

The veneers are ebony and maple colored.
I don't see any unusually active wood grain on the butt.
The maple forearm has a tight and straight grain and the Ebony points and butt section are very dark with very little if any signs of grain.
Thanks for your interest Dean.

CueBuff

To Play or Collect
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Burton Spain blank -or- Gus Szamboti blank

From Wikipedia:

Balabushka cues are generally separated into three distinct classes and time periods related to what blanks Balabushka was using
in cue construction:
The Titlist blank era (1959-1966), the Burton Spain blank era (1966-1971) and the Gus Szamboti blank era (1971-1975).

-Wish I had enough Dough to buy this, I love it. :thumbup:

BTW: Pete offers an extra Shaft for a very nice price! Would like to get one from him (for any old Cue, would be great!). :)

Good luck with the Sale!

Joost

Bill Yerd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
George Balabushka Pool Stick Burton Spain Blank Peter Tascarella Authenticated

All offers will be considered.
Thank You for your interest.

Bill Yerd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Reserve Auction On eBay Starting At $6,427

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up and let you know I have the cue on eBay with a no reserve action format. The starting bid is $6,427.