1Pocket: Situation 3/3/08 (2)

trendkill

Takin' notes?!
Silver Member
I'd probably shoot the 12 with a touch of follow so I don't leave the 2 railer on the 10 and leave the cb on the rail or close to the corner pocket...

trendkill

Takin' notes?!
Silver Member
supergreenman said:
What's the score? This effects how I'd play.

Let's say you're down in the ball count...and need the rest to win...

I personally like to play like I need every ball on the table, don't give up anything.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
AZE said:
The bank doesn't go, hence the point of the two balls.

Yes, I noticed the two balls. I am sure you put them there for that reason. I do not play one pocket that much, but, I surely believe that this bank goes with inside english.

You have left just enough room to pass by. My drawing may be off slightly, but as I stated, I believe it goes.

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
AZE said:
Show me what you got purd'-lady

Hi I'd love to join...

Here are some possible solutions:

Page 1: Make the 12, dock the CB and wait for better chance. Make sure follow the CB down to stick in on the rail. Very do-able.

Page 2: Roll it up to the 8 and 3. Do-able but risky. I would like to see my opponent bank the 12 over balls from there

Page 3: 2 rail the 8 with soft inside draw, aim to kick the 3 on the way back. I know it's a low percentage shot but at least it's possible in theory.

Page 4: I noticed the way you set up the 11 and 13 as if the 13 will go to his pocket. I almost want to leave the CB in a place for him to go at it because imo it's a low percentage shot and the 11 will go near my pocket.

(In a real game I'd go for #1 unless I know the table well and really have a good feeling about other shots)

CueTable Help

Btw, to all friends, please remove the CueTable code when quoting other's post. This will help loading the page quicker for everyone... :)

Last edited:

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
Klock;It might be off, but for the sake of the shot it doesn't go by.

As far as the score, sorry for not posting that. You are down in count, let's say 6-3? You and opp. play about the same speed.

CueTable; Nice shot. That's one of my favorite shots in this position, but there is another one that I really like. Let's see if someone guesses it.

Last edited:

senor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a nifty, not too difficult response. You might even get lucky and hit it perfect so that your opponent can only see the 3 and the 12:

CueTable Help

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
I would shoot into the right side of the 8 and hit the 8 into the left side of the 3 and get them both out of there and try and stop whitey.the 3 should go 2 or 3 rails and stop on your side of the table. JMO.

Southpaw

trendkill

Takin' notes?!
Silver Member
Southpaw said:
I would shoot into the right side of the 8 and hit the 8 into the left side of the 3 and get them both out of there and try and stop whitey.the 3 should go 2 or 3 rails and stop on your side of the table. JMO.

Southpaw

That's a bad shot, imo. In order for the 3 to go that far, you would need to hit firmly...and hitting the 8 on the side, you can't stop whitey in that area...so you're letting your rock loose. I wouldn't do this unless I'm just hitting balls around with a friend...even then I wouldn't shoot this. JMO.

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
trendkill said:
That's a bad shot, imo. In order for the 3 to go that far, you would need to hit firmly...and hitting the 8 on the side, you can't stop whitey in that area...so you're letting your rock loose. I wouldn't do this unless I'm just hitting balls around with a friend...even then I wouldn't shoot this. JMO.

Looks like its lined up to shoot the 8 head on and get enough of the 3 to move it out of there and just stop the cue ball.

Southpaw

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Senor's answer is what I would do. Being behind I need to get balls into play and the presence of the 10 on the spot will keep him from going for some low-percentage bank on the 12.

It would be tempting to take the 8 & 3 out, but it would leave a pretty common return bank.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
What would Efren do?

I wouldn't even attempted this shot, but I guess that if God were playing one-pocket against Efren, this is what Efren would have done to him, just to let everyone in the audience know who's the real boss...

CueTable Help

senor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Franky said:
I'd try to force a better opportunity next inning:

CueTable Help

Nice thought, but it's almost like conceding the 3 ball, I think almost everyone would shoot the kick into the 3 as the response, then move the 8 from your side after the 3 is pocketed.

Franky

woman I said NO!!!
Silver Member
senor said:
Nice thought, but it's almost like conceding the 3 ball, I think almost everyone would shoot the kick into the 3 as the response, then move the 8 from your side after the 3 is pocketed.

I would be delighted to see my opponent kicking at this ball if he only needs two and I need most of them. Its nearly a diamond from the pocket. I am actually daring him to shoot several shots...this is just one of them. None of them are free. If you can kick this ball in the hole or hang it up deep 3 out of 4 times or so, then I guess its a decent shot for you.

If he hits the three full and knocks it above the point of the pocket on the long rail, I'm banking it in and running balls. If the 3 stops pretty much anywhere outside of the pocket jaws but isn't bankable, I'm knocking it away.

The only way he betters his position by kicking at the 3 is if he either makes it, or hangs it up so deep that I can't knock it out.

Danny Kuykendal

Danny K
Silver Member
Two rail the eight, as was mentioned before, using mostly center-low, so the cue ball goes to the rail and kicks the three towards the pocket, hooking the opponent on the eight. I've seen Efren play this shot before. The main focus is on the cue ball, so the shooter doesn't get himself into trouble.

Danny

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny Kuykendal said:
Two rail the eight, as was mentioned before, using mostly center-low, so the cue ball goes to the rail and kicks the three towards the pocket, hooking the opponent on the eight. I've seen Efren play this shot before. The main focus is on the cue ball, so the shooter doesn't get himself into trouble.

Danny
If I'm understanding this correctly it's my shot and I have the bottom left pocket and I'm down 6 to 3. Then I would not select this option because it seems too complicated. I would not like leaving the cue ball in the area of where the three is because the three and the eight might set up for a return bank. This is a desperate measure. Being down 6 to 3 does not call for panic.

I prefer Franky's idea best and would welcome for him to attempt the kick on the three, something I would not do especially with the 3 so close to the rail.