2 balls on head spot 1 pocket

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Saw Shane play this shot & make it in his pocket straight in. Curious what stroke is employed to make this shot.the 2 balls have been spotted as opponent owed 2.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a draw stroke with the CB set slightly off-center.

I think BJ has said you don't need the draw. Anywhos, there is also another alternative: setting the CB to the opposite side and three railing it while the first ball slides over towards the same pocket the back ball two rails towards.

Lou Figueroa

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think BJ has said you don't need the draw. Anywhos, there is also another alternative: setting the CB to the opposite side and three railing it while the first ball slides over towards the same pocket the back ball two rails towards.

Lou Figueroa
Lou I have never seen this from the "opposite" side? Is there video of it? Either ,as well as both balls , can be made depending on the hit and the table as SVB played it.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Saw Shane play this shot & make it in his pocket straight in. Curious what stroke is employed to make this shot.the 2 balls have been spotted as opponent owed 2.
Some draw and the "10 times fuller" aiming technique: aim the first OB 1/10 of the angle toward the pocket.

It's also possible the second ball will go in the same pocket, banked (with throw) two rails the long way - this might be what Lou's describing.

pj
chgo

P.S. Balls are spotted on the foot spot.

10 times fuller.jpg

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou I have never seen this from the "opposite" side? Is there video of it? Either ,as well as both balls , can be made depending on the hit and the table as SVB played it.

There is but I’m not sure exactly where.

I first saw it like over 20 years ago on an Accu-Stats video featuring Cliff Joyner. I watched, practiced it, and shot it against Tom Wirth in the US One Pocket Open. It wasn’t that well known a shot and when I pulled the trigger Tom lept out of his chair. He pulled up short when he saw the back ball headed right to the pocket off the second rail. It’s a good shot if you need the last two : -)

Lou Figueroa

• Love
Reactions: Pin

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I think BJ has said you don't need the draw. ...
Draw does help the ball go through. The shot is in Willie Mosconi's "Winning Pocket Billiards" but set in a different and much easier position. I've known the shot since 1965 because I learned it from Willie.

... Anywhos, there is also another alternative: setting the CB to the opposite side and three railing it while the first ball slides over towards the same pocket the back ball two rails towards. ...

For those who don't follow written descriptions so well, here is that shot:

CropperCapture[738].png

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And here is a video with all three ways of playing the shot:

I prefer the simple draw version. If you can draw the cue ball straight back from the front ball the shot is going to be very close. All you need to know is how far to the side of the spot to place the cue ball. Experiment.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Efren has a video on him showing youngsters how to make it.

Seem Jim the pilot make it at bogies, was the first I'd ever seen the shot

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can also shoot a variation using the same principles if you’re left behind the balls and bank the first one.

I shot it on a guy once and he said: I’ve been playing 1pocket for 30 years and never knew that shot was there.

Lou Figueroa

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member

I prefer the simple draw version. If you can draw the cue ball straight back from the front ball the shot is going to be very close. All you need to know is how far to the side of the spot to place the cue ball. Experiment.
I just took your coaching and tried it. The first attempt with right hand was a complete failure because I over amped. Switched to the left and nice smooth stroke. The head ball went straight in. Darn you are a good coach!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Saw Efren make both balls in the same hole in two shots at Hard Times .
It was a prop bet . Way too easy for Efren

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

YOU DA MAN😉

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw Efren make both balls in the same hole in two shots at Hard Times .
It was a prop bet . Way too easy for Efren
He made it look easy, it's not easy on most tables to pocket both. Make 1 and get the other "horseshoe" isn't too tough.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen Artie make both, like they were hangers. I learned the draw head ball shot before I could draw my ball. It was the only 1P shot I knew for years. I didn’t start playing 1P soon enough(huge mistake in retrospect)

best
Fatboy

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

What kind of a table is that? Looks like a 7' but not a Valley because of the aluminum trim around side pockets and the corner pockets look very tight.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What kind of a table is that? Looks like a 7' but not a Valley because of the aluminum trim around side pockets and the corner pockets look very tight.
It's a 9-foot GC-3. It had 4 1/4 pockets, more or less. The same table as this (5/4 Warning!):

Sadly, that pool hall -- Shoreline, Mountain View -- closed several years ago.