2 inch balls on 7ft bar box

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The confusion is because that site is a British one, I can see how it makes little sense to everyone on here (and it could be worded better), but as we don't really have 7ft American tables over here (they are almost always 9ft, occasionally 8ft), a 7ft table would automatically be assumed to be English pool, which does use 2" balls.

The reference to 1 7/8" balls is because our homes are tiny and so a lot of home tables are 6ft with 1 7/8" or 2" balls.

That is interesting. And it makes sense to keep things proportional. In the US about the only time you see smaller balls is on one of those tiny desktop pool tables or on a small child size table.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What Im saying is I dont know squat hence why Im asking for advice. Tge advice Im asking for is it worth buying 2 inch balls for a 7 foot table and is there much difference in play, if so what could I expect to see? They sell different sizes, dont have a clue if I ever used them on bar boxes in bars I played at because I didnt care to pay attention then.

Since you guys are authorities on pool could you let me know the difference play wise between using the different sizes Aramith sells? The reason I want to know is to shoot pool at home with family and friends on a table not a regulation tournament. Having some experience of playing pool in bar leagues over the years I have played on many Valley 7 ft tables and they ran better than what I have at home for some reason Im trying to figure out. My first step was asking here

At home I have a near mint 1973 Valley 7 ft table, its level with new felt and new cushions and with new 2 1/4 Aramith balls. Maybe the balls are cheap China knockoffs, maybe 2 inch balls I read off google is the answer. to have tge table run like tge better bar tables Ive seen. I dont know. I dont claim to know. I dont care the size of the balls I only care to get some helpful suggestions to make my table run better so I can enjoy pool at home. Instead of hearing me and helping me out you guys wanna talk about The USA Regs and cushions are not called bumpers anything but answer my question. its pretty sad because you just want to be right online but right about what? I dont care to be right, if I knew I was right I wouldnt be asking strangers for help. Sounds like none of you have tried using 2 inch balls on 7 ft table so if you havent tried it why are you answering my question on it? I guess I have to call Aramith to ask them to explain.

I had an easier time understanding Shakespeare in college than that paragraph you just typed

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IF player grade equipment was mfgrd on a 1 1/8 ball scale, You could have tables you can travel with, tiny cafes with a dozen tables. correct me if I'm wrong, a snooker table would be 3x6 ... no limit to the cosm...

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Just because, here's a chart showing different size pool tables with ball sizes and rail heights that are proportional to a 9-footer with typical 2 1/4" balls and 1 3/8" rails - i.e., the total area taken up by balls is the same percentage of the total playing area, and rail heights are the same percentage of ball heights.

Area-wise, 2" balls are closest to proportional on 8-foot tables. Unfortunately, typical pool rails are ~1/8" higher than proportional for 2" balls. There's been some discussion on here about the effect of mismatched balls/rails. My guess is a typical rail would drive a smaller ball more downward into the table, resulting in less cross-table speed and wider rebound angles.

pj <- COVID posting
chgo

Proportional Balls.JPG

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not always.

At at one community center we have played 8 ball and Golf pool for decades with 2 1/8th inch balls.

What you used does not mean that was the general widely used standard. The place you were at just used the wrong ball set (or a worn out set) for the table, if it was a standard pool table with standard cushion height. There is a set standard for a set table setup, anything outside of that would be rare and in most thinking, incorrect.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Just because, here's a chart showing different size pool tables with ball sizes and rail heights that are proportional to a 9-footer with typical 2 1/4" balls and 1 3/8" rails - i.e., the total area taken up by balls is the same percentage of the total playing area, and rail heights are the same percentage of ball heights.

Area-wise, 2" balls are closest to proportional on 8-foot tables. Unfortunately, typical pool rails are ~1/8" higher than proportional for 2" balls. There's been some discussion on here about the effect of mismatched balls/rails. My guess is a typical rail would drive a smaller ball more downward into the table, resulting in less cross-table speed and wider rebound angles.

pj <- COVID posting
chgo

View attachment 559052

If we assume a 59" x 13mm cue is proportionally correct for a 50" x 100" table (should we consider Earls 8' javelin to be standard on a 9' table?) what would be the proportional cue length and diameter be for each table?? :smile:
(this may help move you up one spot on post count):grin-square:

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can not believe I read this whole thread, but I am happy the King Cobra is posting because I always seem to learn good information.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
If we assume a 59" x 13mm cue is proportionally correct for a 50" x 100" table (should we consider Earls 8' javelin to be standard on a 9' table?) what would be the proportional cue length and diameter be for each table??

What about proportionally sized pockets???

Maniac (would love shooting 2" balls into 5" pockets :thumbup:)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
What about proportionally sized pockets???

Maniac (would love shooting 2" balls into 5" pockets :thumbup:)

Definitely yes!!!! I had assumed the pockets would shrink and stretch proportionately to ball diameter but maybe I am wrong, :D
I really want to see where the cue length goes, especially if we consider Earl's 9 1/2 foot javelin a standard for 9 footers. :eek:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj <- COVID posting
chgo

View attachment 559052

Expending this, if we take an average player height for a 9 foot table, to play on a 12 foot table you would need to be 7' 6" tall and for a 7 footer you should be 4" 6"

garudabhatnagar

Expending this, if we take an average player height for a 9 foot table, to play on a 12 foot table you would need to be 7' 6" tall and for a 7 footer you should be 4" 6"
Definitely yes!!!! I had assumed the pockets would shrink and stretch proportionately to ball diameter but maybe I am wrong, :D
I really want to see where the cue length goes, especially if we consider Earl's 9 1/2 foot javelin a standard for 9 footers. :eek:
These are good calculations how to you people do this :O