2007-your Man In Manila

f210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff de Luna vs SVB

Thanks for the updates, Jay. The match-up between Jeff de Luna and SVB sounds interesting. Please tell us who won.

JMuck

Silver Member
I don't think shane should let up on anybody.Just negotiate the right game.Let-up is not part of Shanes vocabulary,nor should it be.

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JMuck said:
I don't think shane should let up on anybody.Just negotiate the right game.Let-up is not part of Shanes vocabulary,nor should it be.

lol! If you only knew Romy's speed, Shane will make a killing! But I guess a lot
of you folks don't know how it works down there, and we're talking about
money games, not the tournament itself...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
gopi-1 said:
You're probably talking about Romy Salamin (glasses). I heard that lately he's
the favorite whipping boy of some of those local unknown shortstops there.
Just tell Shane to ease up a li'l bit and try to make it look like a coin flip and
I'm sure Romy will bug all of his backers that staked him at one time or
another to back him up against Shane for some high stakes action. EZ money! :D

At the end, someone came in and told Romy he was playing the U.S. champion, who beat Ronnie. That match is over!

By the way, this old "whipping boy" can still play a mean game of 9-Ball. Maybe the filipino shortstops can beat him, but he would be a pretty strong shortstop in the U.S.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
JimS said:
Evidently Shane is feeling better now and the foot is not a problem. Good news.

He had no problem with his foot yesterday. A fast healer, thanks to filipino medicine. Full cost of medical treatment and prescription antibiotics - $70! Welcome to the "third world"!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
vin said:
what happended to svb vs deluna? :)

No match! My fault entirely. Shane and Jeff were scheduled to play at 8 PM, and I got a call for a production meeting at 8 PM. It lasted until 10 PM, and it would have taken us 30 minutes to get there. Now try playing a Race To 21 Ten Ball, and we're looking at 1 to 2 AM. And I had a "call" for 9 AM today. Work comes first!

So we put the match on hold. It will happen, I'm sure. Both guys are ready to go. Big action last night at One Side, Alex vs. Lee Van. Lee Van won two sets for a few K. He and Dennis remain the "money kings" here.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Jay please post the date when SVB and De Luna will match up. Me and my pals are in Manila and it could be nothing but great to watch Shane gambling live. No other opportunity for us I'm sure, unless I'm in the US which I don't know if happens or not.
Is there any way to know about OneSide or other action beforehand? So far we managed to catch only those happened when we were present at the club. But we can't spend all the time there :) Could be great to know when big sharks come free.

arian dacongan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i envy you jay,,,i was going to be there but i cannot leave the "biz" here,,plus i'm not feeling well ....wished i was there...i have some business plan also there if i go..too bad maybe not 'till next year...

...continue to have a wonderful time jay...lucky you..

..(on the side note: did you get your hands yet on the one on your avatar??!!:) :), just kidding 'pare. don't have to answer)

Holly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Photos of the Night Action

I won't spill the beans on the SVB vs. DeLuna race to 21, which took place last night at Bugsy's...that is our dear Jay's right to tell the tale :) But I will be taking photos all week both of the tournament for AZB as well as the action around town. We will be posting them shortly. Mike is working on them this morning.

Love Manila, the people, the pool! The flight is nothing compared to the wonder that is this place.

Anytime you get the opportunity to visit...you must stop by Bugsy's - Perry Mariano and his lovely wife Verna are wonderful folks who have a great little action place. There is only one table, but it's a wonderful Gold Crown with two levels of comfy seating...great for serious action.

Will post more later....off to take a few snaps.

Peace - Holly

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shane and Jeff got together at Bugsy's last night, but not before Shane got "hustled" again. We got there early and a young man challenged Shane to a game. So it was a quick little race to nine for 2,000p. Just one more young filipino who plays like God! Shane battles his way to a hard fought 9-7 win. There is no easy money in the Philippines. We find out this is Mike Feliciano, who only finished tied for 3rd-4th in the recent Pacman Invitational. 19 or 20 years old and plays high speed 9-Ball. He could cut a swath across the USA!

DeLuna bounces in, full of vim and vigor. He is spunky to say the least, brimming with confidence and bravado. It's his home court, and everyone loves him here. He is greeted all around by his buddies. Shane ignores all this and continues to hit balls. The kid's a PRO!

They agree to play a Race To 21 Ten Ball for $2,000. Mika and Corey take a piece also. Bugsy is Jeff's stakehorse and all he needs. Perry Mariano (Bugsy) is a well respected member of the Philippine pool scene. Even Yen Makabenta makes an appearance here to watch the festivities. DeLuna has a thunderous break, maybe the srongest in pool today. He makes the Ten Ball rack look like 9-Ball on a bar table. But every so often the cue ball gets away, and scratches. Shane is steadier and they both play very good for the first half of the match. Only one or two errors on a super tight (tighter than the tournament tables) Brunswick Metro. Both men are firing balls in from everywhere. It's an impressive display of power pool.

Over here, a "referee" works the money matches, racking balls, calling hits, and marking balls that have been moved. With the score Shane 15, Jeff 9, Shane misses a thin cut on the two ball. Jeff must have thought it was a bad hit, because he picks up the cue ball and takes ball in hand and makes the two. "What" Shane says? He didn't foul! All of us watching saw that it was a good hit. Even the ref, none other than Mike Feliciano appears confused. I jump up and ask the ref what just happened. I ask him if there was a foul. He shakes his head. He knows there was no foul, and so does everyone else. I ask him to make the call, and he hands the cue ball to Shane. Shane runs out for a 16-9 lead.

I approach Yen and Bugsy and tell them I do not want to get involved in the match, but it must be fair for both players. They agree and the match continues. The match gets ragged after this, and both players make numerous errors. They trade games and Shane wins 21-13. It's over for the night, a three hour match. It's 1:30 AM and I have to report for work at 10 AM. We're outa there!

Before we leave, Bugsys asks me if Shane wants to play Gabica tomorrow night. I check with Shane, and naturally he says yes. He is ready to play anyone, even Godzilla. Gotta get back to work. More later.

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What took you so long Jay? :mad:

Seriously, I love the way you report things in and around the tournament
trail, very animated and is it as if I was there too! But next time, can you
afford us a little longer of your time? I'll buy you the most expensive shampoo
and conditioner when you get back here! :D

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
I have been here some days now, but only been at One Side 2 nights, and 1 night at Fusion.

First night at Fusion I met Marcus Chamat, Rodney Morris and some more WC-players watching a 15 000 P match against Mika Immonen and Radalfo Luat. Luat won in the end.

The other day I met the players from Holland at One Side, and a lot of players around the world had already arrived. I played one small set with Lolong, but lost 10 - 8.

The very next morning I tried my luck in Qualifier nr 9. I warmed up with a guy from Taiwan, and we played alternate break 10 racks. I had 1 Break and run, and 4 dry breaks, so I lost 9 - 1. The guy never missed, it was amazing to watch... He won a qualifier last year, but didn't get his name.

I met a player from Singapore in the qualifier. He got a dry break so I went up to 2 - 0. After that he didn't miss and I had 2 stupid mistakes, so lost 7 - 4. The guy from Singapore won also a qualifier last year.

At evening (Thursday) I went back to One Side, because the rumour was that Efren was coming in that night. The place was packed with locals = world players, and everyone wanted to play Efren. He played a short set with Johnny Fulcher, but then he wanted to quit. He had a match with Lee Van Corteza later that night, race to 31 in 10-ball, for 100 000 pesos, so he didn't want to play anyone, and declined all offers. Vincent Faquet offered him to play one pocket without handicap, but he even declined that offer to, and said he wanted to prepare for the match later at night.

Then he saw me, and he smiled and said hello. I was happy he remembered me from our 4 days with one pocket in Feb, so I said hello back, and then asked him to play one pocket, and he put up a big smile and said ten six! We agreed on 10 - 5, and then started to play.

Pretty cool, a lots of people watching, including all those Efren didn't want to play. Guess they were in shock why he suddenly changed his mind and wanted to play. I don't know either, but I was just happy I got another chance to play the best player in the world!

I lost 50 dollar, and 3 - 1 in the match. One game lasted for atleast 30 minutes, with lots of safeties.

Later that night, Jonni Fulcher wanted to get in stroke, so he challenged this young Filipino nicknamed Buddy, one of Bugsy's players. Buddy asked me about Jonni's speed, and I didn't tell him he was ranked top 5 in Europe at the moment, cause I didn't want him to get nervous. So I told him that if he played good he would beat him, and that I would sponsor him with 5 000, and we split 70/30.

Jonni didn't understand what happened to him. At 8 - 2 Buddy made his first mistake. In the end Buddy won 11 - 5, with only 1 mistake.

Later that night I bet 10 000 against Dennis Orcullo on the match Efren - Lee Van, and since Efren won I got 10 000, so in the end Efren made money for me ;)

Today I went to a local cockfight, and I won 8 times my money :) Great show, fun entertainment, but I do prefer pool :)

It's great to be here in the Philippines. Everyone knows who Bata Reyes is, it's just amazing. On the plane from Amsterdam I was sitting next to two Filipinos, and when they found out I played pool they said about 10 names of poolplayers in the Philippines without hesitation. And these two didn't play the game, they said they was only watching it on tv and reading newspapers.

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good thing you are having fun there Roy even though you didn't make it to
the big dance. I know for a fact that there's a lot of peeps here who would
rather be in your shoes, right NOW! Enjoy the tournament and say hi to
Lolong, Efren and Efren's manager Rolly Vicente and the rest of the gang for me!

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reports Jay. Very nice of you to do so. SVB getting lots of action reminds me of the reverse situation of Efren at Red's in Houston. So , maybe SVB needs an alias. How about calling him Wayne Newton.

Roy, good to hear from you and see that you are having a good time. Very impressive that you got a game with Efren. YOU DA MAN !!!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
This field of 128 will be stronger than the U.S. Open field of 233. Fewer weak players and almost all are strong players. Again that is my opinion.

That is a STRONG statement. I wish I could see that field. Well, maybe I can through your eyes. Keep the posts coming, Jay.
Thanks,
JoeyA

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Shane and Jeff got together at Bugsy's last night, but not before Shane got "hustled" again. We got there early and a young man challenged Shane to a game. So it was a quick little race to nine for 2,000p. Just one more young filipino who plays like God! Shane battles his way to a hard fought 9-7 win. There is no easy money in the Philippines. We find out this is Mike Feliciano, who only finished tied for 3rd-4th in the recent Pacman Invitational. 19 or 20 years old and plays high speed 9-Ball. He could cut a swath across the USA!

DeLuna bounces in, full of vim and vigor. He is spunky to say the least, brimming with confidence and bravado. It's his home court, and everyone loves him here. He is greeted all around by his buddies. Shane ignores all this and continues to hit balls. The kid's a PRO!

They agree to play a Race To 21 Ten Ball for $2,000. Mika and Corey take a piece also. Bugsy is Jeff's stakehorse and all he needs. Perry Mariano (Bugsy) is a well respected member of the Philippine pool scene. Even Yen Makabenta makes an appearance here to watch the festivities. DeLuna has a thunderous break, maybe the srongest in pool today. He makes the Ten Ball rack look like 9-Ball on a bar table. But every so often the cue ball gets away, and scratches. Shane is steadier and they both play very good for the first half of the match. Only one or two errors on a super tight (tighter than the tournament tables) Brunswick Metro. Both men are firing balls in from everywhere. It's an impressive display of power pool.

Over here, a "referee" works the money matches, racking balls, calling hits, and marking balls that have been moved. With the score Shane 15, Jeff 9, Shane misses a thin cut on the two ball. Jeff must have thought it was a bad hit, because he picks up the cue ball and takes ball in hand and makes the two. "What" Shane says? He didn't foul! All of us watching saw that it was a good hit. Even the ref, none other than Mike Feliciano appears confused. I jump up and ask the ref what just happened. I ask him if there was a foul. He shakes his head. He knows there was no foul, and so does everyone else. I ask him to make the call, and he hands the cue ball to Shane. Shane runs out for a 16-9 lead.

I approach Yen and Bugsy and tell them I do not want to get involved in the match, but it must be fair for both players. They agree and the match continues. The match gets ragged after this, and both players make numerous errors. They trade games and Shane wins 21-13. It's over for the night, a three hour match. It's 1:30 AM and I have to report for work at 10 AM. We're outa there!

Before we leave, Bugsys asks me if Shane wants to play Gabica tomorrow night. I check with Shane, and naturally he says yes. He is ready to play anyone, even Godzilla. Gotta get back to work. More later.

Before Shane leaves the Philippines, he needs to play a match with Bata.

Good luck to the both of you. Thanks for the detailed post.
JoeyA

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Jay,
Thanks for the updates. Hope you are having a jam up time in Manila, it sure sounds like it.
Also, thanks to Roy for the updates.

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
Mr. Jay,

Can you ask someone to take a panaromic picture of the inside of the dome?

I'm curious as how they setup the place because that is more like an arena.

Last edited: