2007-your Man In Manila

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hardknox222 said:
SVB is fearless and would play anyone without hesitation, even Efren.
I'm curious what the "rap" is about Efren in the Philippines? Whether he is even considered to be in the top ten 9-ball players anymore.

So, while an Efren/SVB match would have loads of marquee value, I'm guessing it would be a fairer contest to put up one of the Philippino hot young guns against Shane.

Doc

f210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gulfportdoc said:
I'm curious what the "rap" is about Efren in the Philippines? Whether he is even considered to be in the top ten 9-ball players anymore.

So, while an Efren/SVB match would have loads of marquee value, I'm guessing it would be a fairer contest to put up one of the Philippino hot young guns against Shane.

Doc
\\

Yeah. I want to see SVB match-up against Lee Van Corteza. Lee Van just beat Chia Ching WU in a money match for $3,000. Jeff de Luna is a good player but I do not think he is in the league yet of Dennis Orcullo or Lee Van Corteza.

f210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TannerPruess said:
I think Shane beat Lee Van Corteze in FL at the 10 ball World...

If I remember correctly, Lee Van beat Shane too in one of their matches, so they are about even.

powderburner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aye. At Las Vegas this year. enjoypool .com or something. Race to 7? 9 ball is no real match at this level.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
hardknox222 said:
Shane is amazing. From what I've heard, he hasn't lost a money match yet. I wouldn't be surprised if the Filipinos are a little scared of playing him for money right now... with his willingness to play anyone, it's unbelievable that none of the top Pinoys like Cortezza, Orcullo or even Efren are taking him on. The Pinoys seems to be getting beat on their own turf. I am Pinoy and I would always favor a Pinoy over any other player... except Shane. So far, he has bested Orcullo at 10-ball (which was supposedly Dennis' best game) and recently Alcano at the US Open twice!

I would love to see a money match between Shane and Yang Chin Shun.

Oh, I'm sure Shane would have got action if we made it down to One Side. With the tournament in full swing, there won't be anymore matching up for a while. Shane's first priority is to win this thing. He plays his Group (13) today. And it's a strong group.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

Yes, he is still considered Top Echelon here, which is reserved for only the very best players. Efren, Django, Alex, Dennis, Lee Vann, Ronnie, Marlon and maybe Jeff De Luna. Not many on this level.

The premier game over here remains Rotation, and no one can beat Efren at this game. To be the best at Rotation over here is like being the best at One Pocket in the USA.

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Jay,
I saw you in the stands last night during Earl's match. When it was over, you had disappeared. I'm leaving tomorrow. If we're gonna play, it will have to be tonight. If not, I'll be in LA in June.

I was kinda hoping to sample some local talent tonight, if ya know what I mean.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
As expected the Taiwanese and filipinos are coming up big so far. Many from both countries will be in the final 64. I worked the TV commentary for the group with Ko Pin-Yi in it yesterday. He is the 18 year old Taiwan Qualifier winner. This guy is the real deal! He drilled both Thorsten and the next guy he played, something like 9-3 and 9-3 again. He is a calm cool executioner, showing no emotion in either match. A good looking young man, who plays like a seasoned veteran. Watch out for him!

Mika looked good in his matches, very comfortable on these tables. Maybe because he has so much time in on them the last few years. Francisco is playing GREAT! He let his opponent to the table ONCE in one match yesterday. He got to kick at a ball! The performance everyone was talking about. Marlon looks good to me as well, such a nice relaxed game he plays. Ronnie also is on top of his game. De Luna does not know or care about a soft break. He just crushes the balls, making 2 or 3 almost every time. He made four balls twice in his last match. OUCH! The filipinos as a group look hungry and determined to keep the title here.

The Taiwanese players have dominated the Asian Tour this year, and it is easy to see why. They all play a similar methodical, clear the table style. No mistakes, always in line, and no hiccups either. They appear unflappable, but for some intangible reason I still like the filipinos in a clutch situation, where all the marbles are on the line. They come from two different schools. The Taiwanese train in an Academy, with a complete curriculum, including Martial Arts, Meditation and so forth. The filipinos train in pool rooms, fighting for blood money every day.

We all (TV Commentators) watched Earl play his last match of the night, sitting high up in the stands. You get the sense that many people are there to see the anticipated Earl "meltdown". A lot of people chose to sit near Earl, almost hoping to engage him in banter. There was a very revealing little TV clip they got of Earl talking about his behavior problems. He really opened up and said that he knew he had mental problems, and that he was his own worst enemy. He knows that his actions are unhealthy and don't help him play good pool. I was stunned to see him being so candid.

That said, Earl acted very strange in his match with Li. At times holding his head in his hands and not looking at the table. The referee Nigel Rees had to tell him more than once it was his turn. He had "rabbit ears" for any comments from the crowd. Almost every trip to the table was met with anguish and dismay at the predicament he faced. He was not happy with any shot or situatiuon he faced. He actually got a couple of very fortunate rolls, but didn't seem to be aware that the Pool Gods had shined on him.

Several times he swung his cue wildly about, almost hitting Rees on two occasions. And it would have been a hard blow. He finally did give Rees a tap on the noggin, luckily not one of his harder strikes. Rees handled it well, laughing it off. Some officials might have scolded Earl and things would surely have escalated. After that tap on the head, Earl went to some length explaining to the crowd between games that ALL players swing their cues. RIGHTTTT!!

Li had the meltdown, missing ball after ball when he had opportunities to win games. Earl did run a few racks. But I noticed he was pretty helpless on any long tough shots. If he can keep the cue ball close to the object balls, he can still run out. You can see flashes of Earl's old greatness, but not enough to surmount this field. There are too many authentic and "current" champions here. Watching Earl, one gets the feeling that he is never far away from coming totally unglued. One wrong word or perceived misdeed, and he could be off and running. He teeters on the brink of annihilation each day. Literally and figuratively.

I feel bad watching this man right now. I don't feel this is the place for him, in the glare of the tournament arena. He is obviously a very unhappy man, but he knows nothing else but to hit balls. So he does. It is almost like watching a wild animal act. They perform because they have to, not because they want to. This is my perception of what I see when I watch Earl perform now. I long admired Earl as the best tournament 9-Ball player of all time. But that is not the same man I watched last night.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cuaba said:
Jay,
I saw you in the stands last night during Earl's match. When it was over, you had disappeared. I'm leaving tomorrow. If we're gonna play, it will have to be tonight. If not, I'll be in LA in June.

Naughty boy! Shame on you. :)

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Jay,
When Earl walked into both matches he was very negative. He said he would lose both times before the matches started. Nobody in his corner wanted to talk to him because he was so negative. One guy said he could win and Earl just criticized him for saying such a thing.

But when he got to 5 against Li, his attitude turned around, and it was as if the antics before were just a show. He had taken it too far though.

When he accidently hit Nigel on the head with his cue, did that make TV?

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
Cuaba said:
Jay,

2 Words, Quezon Avenue . . .

Go for the free-lancers :D.

But if you go over the fence, just keep driving to Quezon Memorial Circle at the end of Quezon Ave.. . .:D

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
hope I'm not hi-jacking the thread since I could be called your man in Manila as well :)
The day after Efren defeated Alcano he gambled Ramil "Bebeng" Gallego in 10-Ball race to 26. It was 26 to 25 actually, Efren gave one rack spot. 60 000 pesos at stake, smth about 1500 USD I think. I witnessed it until 15-13, and it was 2 am so I had to leave, I need to sleep sometimes! :) In the morning I learned Efren won 26-22. So he is very good now, but he plays much more relaxed at One Side rather than at the venue. I mean he is the first Filipino hope, he is an icon, and last year it was visible how he can not bear this enornous weight of responsibility when all the nation expects you to perform. I doubt he can do good in the competition this year either.
Unfortunately I didn't see Shane gambling yet, he has to play in just an hour (and I'm heading to Araneta now), so no wonder he wasn't at One Side yesterday. Okay, I'll watch him playing live anyway now, but gambling is another story.
Yesterday I was a railbird for a local pro Jarry Pelayo against Karl Boyes, race to 15 10-Ball. Jarry played better but Karl had better luck winning it 15-13, sinking golden combos in last two racks. And Karl was leading 3-0 when Jarry managed to string 5 racks in time twice less than Karl got his three, like a running-out machine. But in the end I was not that successful as Roy Steffensen and didn't earn anything :)

I've talked to Jay for a while, funny thing when I met Mike first I asked him where's Jay and how he looks like since I have no idea. And Mike replied, well, he looks like... like Jay :)

chambalero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crosseyedjoe said:
2 Words, Quezon Avenue . . .

Go for the free-lancers :D.

But if you go over the fence, just keep driving to Quezon Memorial Circle at the end of Quezon Ave.. . .:D

everything you wanted to know about manila by night is right here
www.manilatonight.com

;)