2015 US OPEN 10-BALL & 8-BALL CHAMPIONSHIPS! July 24-31, Las Vegas, NV!

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I'm a person that typically buys quite a few streams from TAR (in the past), CSI, and Big Truck. I'm not a big one pocket fan, but if it's the best players in the world matching up at almost any other game I'm usually in. I've decided that as a consumer I'm no longer spending my money watching barbox rotation games. It's the dullest form of pool there is. The ball is dead on the break, the layouts are cake, 0 chance of a table turnover after someone gets an open shot. 8 ball is slightly more entertaining because even though there are a lot of runouts the outs can be difficult and entertaining. I might buy some of the 8 ball, but I'm not buying any of the 10 ball.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the difference between the USBTC 8 & 10 Ball and the US Open 8 & 10 Ball?

Well, the first one is actually a tournament for bar tables.

The second used to be on 9 footers but was changed for space/cost reasons.

It's fine if the event wants to change things to 7 footers, but I won't be interested in it our the outcome. Seems as more time passes, the less professional the game gets, easier tables, less prize money, no TV coverage. Soon the pinnacle of pool will be played on carnival tables playing 3 ball with cues with no tips.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply guys but it was kind of a rhetorical question, meaning I really don't see a difference besides the changing of the name, which is sad. It should be called The USBTC II. Just like Turning Stone has 2 events a year, you don't see them naming the second one The US Open Turning Stone. These 2 events are the same d@mn thing.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Complain if you want, people, but don't complain to CSI. They're just trying to have the events while losing less money. Complain instead about the state of pool players and fans - about ourselves - who don't spend enough money on pool to make it viable to hold the kind of tournaments you'd like to see.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[...]

What is the solution? Mandatory push out like CJ has been talking about?

I think 10 ball is better than 9 ball in terms of having the other player get a chance at the table. 10 ball is probably the most challenging type of game on a 7 footer. On a 9 footer, maybe move to 12 ball? I'm just throwing ideas out there.

I think CJ has hit the nail on the head here. Mandatory pushout goes a long way--maybe even all the way--to fixing the problems.

Even 9-ball on a 7' table for top players would be an interesting game with mandatory pushout. Every game would be a battle for who is the first to get control. After a pushout, a player would either be attempting a not-so-straightforward-and-maybe-sellout safety, or he would be going for a missable shot. Either way, the shooter has a bead of sweat on his brow, the commentator has interesting things to say, the spectator is glued to the decision and the outcome, and the subtle differences in skills get tested...

I think your 12-ball idea has merit as well.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Complain if you want, people, but don't complain to CSI. They're just trying to have the events while losing less money. Complain instead about the state of pool players and fans - about ourselves - who don't spend enough money on pool to make it viable to hold the kind of tournaments you'd like to see.

Telling it like it is isn't complaining ,

You can believe thier loosing money if you like but I'm not buying one word of it

shoreboy

Banned
Same?

Thanks for the reply guys but it was kind of a rhetorical question, meaning I really don't see a difference besides the changing of the name, which is sad. It should be called The USBTC II. Just like Turning Stone has 2 events a year, you don't see them naming the second one The US Open Turning Stone. These 2 events are the same d@mn thing.

Yep...looks exactly the same to me. Using your logic, any 9ball tourny played on 9ft tables should be called Turning Stone X

USBTC vs US Opens.png

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few questions....

The ultimate world 10 ball championship organized by Badi Nahzat was on nine foot tables. So it has been proven to be able to be held on big tables. Yet, there was still no massive industry support (Bca, WPA) for the event (remember his open letter explaining why he cancelled the event).

Why would it be any different (in terms of success) with seven footers?

Why was Charlie Williams blasted by WPA for naming a ten ball tournament "world championship" with nine foot tables, but a WPA blessing is given for a tournament with seven foot tables?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are not 6,000 people going to watch the 8 and 10 ball US Opens, that is just the league players that will be there for the USAPL and BCAPL tournaments.

And many of the top tier pros can walk anonymous through them because they don't all follow pro pool like many of us here do.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Telling it like it is isn't complaining ,

You can believe thier loosing money if you like but I'm not buying one word of it

Please show us how it can be done.
Please do the math.

128 players , 350$ entry, 10ball, races to 10
Enough 9 foot tables to finish in 3 days ( plus racks and balls)
At least 30k in payouts .

shoreboy

Banned
Riiiiggghhhhtttttt

A few questions....

The ultimate world 10 ball championship organized by Badi Nahzat was on nine foot tables. So it has been proven to be able to be held on big tables. Yet, there was still no massive industry support (Bca, WPA) for the event (remember his open letter explaining why he cancelled the event).

Why was Charlie Williams blasted by WPA for naming a ten ball tournament "world championship" with nine foot tables, but a WPA blessing is given for a tournament with seven foot tables?

Funny. Badi proved that a rich man can lose his own money hosting a tourny on 9ft tables. We already knew that and thats why the event went away.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please show us how it can be done.
Please do the math.

128 players , 350$ entry, 10ball, races to 10
Enough 9 foot tables to finish in 3 days ( plus racks and balls)
At least 30k in payouts .

Your right it's never been done before ,, what the hell was I thinking :cool:

Do you actually believe Ozzy would put on a event that not only does not make money but loses money ,, ?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your right it's never been done before ,, what the hell was I thinking :cool:

Do you actually believe Ozzy would put on a event that not only does not make money but loses money ,, ?

Every pool tournament is a money loser, and this thread is full of people in denial about that fact.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every pool tournament is a money loser, and this thread is full of people in denial about that fact.

Ask CW how he drives that Jaguar or whatever it is. No one knows the sponsor money that comes in except the promoter-nor hotel room kickbacks and vendor money. Many other things as well. Even Barry B made money PLENTY of years especially when he got the convention center free for years and years.

Hotels give the ballroom space free as well when rooms are going begging and they are guaranteed to fill up X amount

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think that the underlying point here is less about the money and more about the meaning behind the title itself.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A few questions....

Badi's event was not a world championship, just the Ultimate 10-Ball Championships.

What do you mean by "a WPA blessing" for an event on 7-footers? Are you thinking of Matchroom's points events for qualifying for the Mosconi Cup team?