2021 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually I’ve been busy so I didn’t get a chance to take my first good 14.1 solo practice session until tonight. Just to be able to post a decent number to help my confidence, I moved to an easier table for this session – a 9-footer with 4-3/4” corners as opposed to the 9-foot 4-1/4” corners table or the 10 foot 4-1/4” corners table I normally practice on.

On my second attempt, I managed a 43. It was a smooth 3 racks but I screwed up and did not plan out a good break ball. I made the shot, but missed the pack with the cue ball coming off the end rail behind the pack. I managed a couple more 2 rack runs in the 1-1/2 hour practice session, then called it a night.

At least this gives me one in the books for 2021 for a starting point. I think I’ll stick to an easier table for now to see if I can get some higher runs for my confidence, as opposed to just torturing myself struggling to run more than 28 on the tighter tables.

A very easy 4 racks on our 7 foot Diamond. I was starting to think this might be the magical (100) night. I had no choice but to leave an under the rack break ball, but I set it up perfectly. I struck it very firm with high outside, attempting to extract the cue ball off the side rail and back up towards the middle of the table. Somehow the ball rattled out. I guess I hit it a little too hard. I exploded the rack wide-open and would’ve had a good chance at 70+, but not to be tonight.

I’m very encouraged that I’ve got a legitimate shot at some higher runs and possibly a shot at the elusive 100 if I keep working at it on our 7 foot table.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'

When I'm working from home I'll take breaks and go downstairs to hit a few. My 15mins got stretched out some and I finished with the above. Last ball was the break into the new rack. I know what you're thinking. He froze to ball, maybe he slug racked himself... Nope wide open... Just put my favourite opening shot into the horn.

Sooo bad....

Will Maynard

Registered
Hi 14-1 players:) Post your 2021 runs in this thread and I'll keep this first post up to date with everyone's high run. This list is for regular posters here on AZ Billiards. Videos are always in demand and generate good discussion and I'll post links if you upload them. Rules are cue ball fouls only, call pocket, any rack method allowed, any cleaning methodology allowed, run does not have to start from break shot, run can be practice or in an actual game. *Feel free to make the rules more strict if you prefer for yourself. Good luck all!

Prior Year Threads:
2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006

2021 Results:
106 - gerard soriano - Jan 13
85 - The_JV - Jan 14, Also 58
57 - jacob - Jan 20, Also 56, 55, 52, 51, 51
43 - ChrisinNC - Jan 13
42 - DJKeys - Jan 2
42 - djoverboard - Jan 21
15 - iusedtoberich - Jan 22 - Video 15
Thanks for this post through the years. Here's my first entry for 2021
It's a 58 ball run with commentary

Will Maynard

Registered
Nice run! Those are some of the narrowest rails I have ever seen - makes it look like a 10 foot table!
Thanks. Sometimes it feels like a 10 footer. The rails are bolted to the slate from the side. There is a nut inside a horizontal hole in the slate.

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hi 14-1 players:) Post your 2021 runs in this thread and I'll keep this first post up to date with everyone's high run. This list is for regular posters here on AZ Billiards. Videos are always in demand and generate good discussion and I'll post links if you upload them. Rules are cue ball fouls only, call pocket, any rack method allowed, any cleaning methodology allowed, run does not have to start from break shot, run can be practice or in an actual game. *Feel free to make the rules more strict if you prefer for yourself. Good luck all!

Prior Year Threads:
2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006

2021 Results:
106 - gerard soriano - Jan 13
85 - The_JV - Jan 14, Also 58
57 - jacob - Jan 20, Also 56, 55, 52, 51, 51
43 - ChrisinNC - Jan 13
42 - DJKeys - Jan 2
42 - djoverboard - Jan 21
15 - iusedtoberich - Jan 22 - Video 15
Start me off with a 59 on 1/24/21 all breakshots were underneath the rack...lol

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Start me off with a 59 on 1/24/21 all breakshots were underneath the rack...lol
Wow, all 4? Just curious how you hit your breaks shots from underneath the rack? Inside, outside or center ball? Low or high or center ball? I seem to have a lot of trouble extracting the cue ball back towards the middle of the table on these shots, to allow myself a manageable next shot.

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran 85 balls today on a 7 foot diamond. That is the second highest total ever for me. I missed shooting at a pocket that had a ball right near it. I thought I had a "big" pocket. The object ball double kissed the "helper" ball and missed. I could have shot a different ball as the rack was partially open. I will be second guessing that decision until I can get to the table again. My goal of 100 feels close.....

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
51 for tonight. Missed an easy break ball, but was pretty flat on it. Not sure it would’ve gone much longer anyway.

I’d like to run 100 but am setting the goal to beat last year’s high of 74 for now.

I lose interest in pool sometimes in favor of other hobbies - guitar, running, cycling etc. The thought of putting in all these hours again is daunting. This game is so tough.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
51 for tonight. Missed an easy break ball, but was pretty flat on it. Not sure it would’ve gone much longer anyway.

I’d like to run 100 but am setting the goal to beat last year’s high of 74 for now.

I lose interest in pool sometimes in favor of other hobbies - guitar, running, cycling etc. The thought of putting in all these hours again is daunting. This game is so tough.
Looks like there’s at least a half a dozen of us who have posted runs this year, who are shooting to achieve that magical 100 ball high run mark. It will be interesting to see by the end of the year if any of us have reached that common goal!

Like a few others that have posted on here, I’m kind of cheating in making my attempts on a 7 foot Diamond instead of a 9 foot table, but that’s the only chance I’ve got of ever getting there.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like there’s at least a half a dozen of us who have posted runs this year, who are shooting to achieve that magical 100 ball high run mark. It will be interesting to see by the end of the year if any of us have reached that common goal!

Like a few others that have posted on here, I’m kind of cheating in making my attempts on a 7 foot Diamond instead of a 9 foot table, but that’s the only chance I’ve got of ever getting there.
Chris, I know you have mentioned the tight tables in your room, but I don't remember whether you have mentioned having a 9-footer with corners that are about 5"? Running 100 on one of those is certainly legitimate. I'm not sure how a looser 9 footer would compare in degree of difficulty with a tighter 7-footer (like a pro-cut Diamond).

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris, I know you have mentioned the tight tables in your room, but I don't remember whether you have mentioned having a 9-footer with corners that are about 5"? Running 100 on one of those is certainly legitimate. I'm not sure how a looser 9 footer would compare in degree of difficulty with a tighter 7-footer (like a pro-cut Diamond).
The easiest 9 footers we have are 4-3/4” corners, but they still have 143° pocket facing angles, which will spit a ball out. To me, they would still be much tougher to run 100 balls on than a 7 foot diamond.

If I’m ever able to run 100 on the seven footer, my next goal would be to try to do it on one of those nine footers.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
The easiest 9 footers we have are 4-3/4” corners, but they still have 143° pocket facing angles, which will spit a ball out. To me, they would still be much tougher to run 100 balls on than a 7 foot diamond.

If I’m ever able to run 100 on the seven footer, my next goal would be to try to do it on one of those nine footers.
That's my set up. GCI with 4.75" pockets, original Monarch Superspeed Cushions that still have lots of life left in them. Cloth (860HR) is about a year old now. The pockets are set up OK, but they aren't super forgiving anymore either. I don't think pocket size is predominantly what makes 14.1 the difficult endeavor that is. I think running 100 on a table with 5" pockets is still quite an accomplishment.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A very easy 4 racks on our 7 foot Diamond. I was starting to think this might be the magical (100) night. I had no choice but to leave an under the rack break ball, but I set it up perfectly. I struck it very firm with high outside, attempting to extract the cue ball off the side rail and back up towards the middle of the table. Somehow the ball rattled out. I guess I hit it a little too hard. I exploded the rack wide-open and would’ve had a good chance at 70+, but not to be tonight.

I’m very encouraged that I’ve got a legitimate shot at some higher runs and possibly a shot at the elusive 100 if I keep working at it on our 7 foot table.
57 on 2/4/21 on 7-foot Diamond

I bested my year high run by one ball. Ran a full four racks but left very little angle on the side of the rack break ball. I hit it as hard as I could and made the shot, but buried the cue ball in to the side of the rack and left no shot.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Wow, all 4? Just curious how you hit your breaks shots from underneath the rack? Inside, outside or center ball? Low or high or center ball? I seem to have a lot of trouble extracting the cue ball back towards the middle of the table on these shots, to allow myself a manageable next shot.
How you hit them depends on the position of the object ball. Towards the end of the rack clipping the two corner balls, you need outside follow out to the center of the table. If you are going to hit the middle of the rack, you need inside follow to go three rails out to the center of the table-

-dj

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How you hit them depends on the position of the object ball. Towards the end of the rack clipping the two corner balls, you need outside follow out to the center of the table. If you are going to hit the middle of the rack, you need inside follow to go three rails out to the center of the table-

-dj
That inside 3 cushion follow shot I’m very familiar with, but it just seems like too many times the cue ball gets knocked off course below the rack by another ball in its 3 cushion path to get back towards the middle of the table, and either ends up either getting knocked in to the corner pocket right where I’m shooting from, stuck on another ball or near the end rail where I have a very hard shot up table.

I’ve just started experimenting with the high outside shot instead, after seeing it on one of Niels Feijen‘s recent 14.1 break shot videos, and I seem to be getting better results with that.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I rarely play to use a break ball below the rack. Generally when there's no opportunity to generate something above/side.

Not that I've had any bad luck with them. Just not on the radar mostly

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rarely play to use a break ball below the rack. Generally when there's no opportunity to generate something above/side.

No that I've had any bad luck with them. Just not on the radar mostly
Yes, it’s definitely not a preferred location for a break ball, but sometimes it is the only potential break ball available.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
135.jpg

Whoo Hoo.... That's a 127 :p (edited for accuracy)

I tightened up big time once I hit the mid 80's. Didn't take a single risk for the next 20 balls. It was weird though. Once I got passed that glass ceiling the next 34 went smooth.

Look like I will have to go through with that overhead camera...lol

For sake of full disclosure. I used a template rack that never interfered with play, and never took a break ball location near the rack.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
View attachment 584340
Whoo Hoo.... That's a 135 :p

First 14 after BIH break, then each mark counts as 15. The little tick above the 14 was the last break ball I made. I ended up missing the opening shot after that break. ...
It sounds like you are scoring incorrectly. It's 14 for each rack (prior to the break ball for the next rack), not just the first one. That would make it 127 (9 racks plus the break ball for the next one). Heck of a run; congratulations.