2021 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting. You guys convinced me. I'm gonna buy one today. I tried using the Magic Rack but it interfered with my play too much.
Two other ways to get the same result are to tap the table and apply transparent donuts to the table. There used to be a product with 15 donuts in the correct positions on a sheet. You would place the sheet on the table and then transfer the donuts to the cloth.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Two other ways to get the same result are to tap the table and apply transparent donuts to the table. There used to be a product with 15 donuts in the correct positions on a sheet. You would place the sheet on the table and then transfer the donuts to the cloth.
So I bought an Accu Rack today, and while I wait for it get here, I brought out the Magic Rack again. It wasn’t really that bad as I remember it insofar as physically interfering with play goes. It definitely interrupts rhythm because of how much longer it takes to rack.
I ran a 43 for tonight’s high run. However, it ended because the rack really didn’t come apart that well after the break, ironically. The break ball was low and I may have caught the corner ball funny instead of it being a slug. Though I do notice that sometimes I have to work the balls to get a tight rack sometimes, even with the magic rack.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I bought an Accu Rack today, and while I wait for it get here, I brought out the Magic Rack again. It wasn’t really that bad as I remember it insofar as physically interfering with play goes. It definitely interrupts rhythm because of how much longer it takes to rack.
I ran a 43 for tonight’s high run. However, it ended because the rack really didn’t come apart that well after the break, ironically. The break ball was low and I may have caught the corner ball funny instead of it being a slug. Though I do notice that sometimes I have to work the balls to get a tight rack sometimes, even with the magic rack.
You’ll find the Accu-Rack clearly better than the Magic Rack.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
84 just now. Scratched after making the break ball (so 85 pocketed). It was a high on the pack, so I went into the top two balls, the follow took after and went straight in the opposite corner. It’s my personal high run so I can’t be too sore, but also, I was very close to 100 and feeling good with things going right.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
84 just now. Scratched after making the break ball (so 85 pocketed). It was a high on the pack, so I went into the top two balls, the follow took after and went straight in the opposite corner. It’s my personal high run so I can’t be too sore, but also, I was very close to 100 and feeling good with things going right.
Nice... Congrats.

When I reached the mid 80's for the first time, the possibilty of getting that 100 benchmark went from a hope to an expectation for me. That said I've only gotten into the 80's twice...lol. I'm a believer in that if you can string together 4/5 racks together then you already have the skills and knowledge to just keep on going. It really only boils down to making the right decisions. That was my mind set anyway..

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Nice... Congrats.

When I reached the mid 80's for the first time, the possibilty of getting that 100 benchmark went from a hope to an expectation for me. That said I've only gotten into the 80's twice...lol. I'm a believer in that if you can string together 4/5 racks together then you already have the skills and knowledge to just keep on going. It really only boils down to making the right decisions. That was my mind set anyway..
Thank you my man. I hope to get there. Some days I run 14s and that’s it. I wish I could control the hot streaks (along with everyone else).

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Some days I run 14s and that’s it. I wish I could control the hot streaks (along with everyone else).
The bulk of my runs are merely in the 20s. I generally don't schedule a block of time to hit balls. I'll usually just jump on the table as a break from other task and go until I miss. This really doesn't provide me any "warm up" I suppose. The point I seem to be having a hard time making is, I don't have hot streaks. More like minor success at catching lightening in a bottle....lol

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran a new personal best 98 balls this evening on a 7 foot diamond! I am mentally beat down because of how close I came to my goal of 100. I will eventually get there. I am even more determined after my close call....

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I finally did it. 101 just now. I filmed almost all of it. My phone ran out of memory and stopped filming in the penultimate rack. I noticed and cleared space and resumed - but it looks like I pocketed a ball or two before I realized it stopped recording.

I know this forum in particular has had prior issues with questionable video cuts - but I swear to god I ran 101 just now.

I’m on cloud nine. I’ll merge the two videos and get them posted tonight or tomorrow morning.

Edit: Since there's been some discussion about posting equipment specs, here's mine: 9' Gold Crown I, 4.75" pockets, original Monarch Cushions with 860HR. Tascarella Cue. 19.5oz, 58". Regular maple shafts with 1" LBM ferrules and Pete's standard non-layered tip.

Edit: Video is here. It’s missing balls 88 and 89 I think. Then picks up at 90.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
57 on 2/16/21

I tied my high run of the year 57 last night on our 7 foot diamond, matching the same number I achieved 12 days ago. I couldn’t manufacture a break ball and left the final ball at the head of the table and was not able to catch the pack after pocketing it.

I did use a magic rack for the first time which I think helped, although I had problems getting one of the balls to freeze. I’ve got a few Accu-Rack 15 ball racks on the way, which I think will do a better job of freezing all the balls.

I’ve come to the conclusion that on the beginning of every rack break shots on a 7’ table, you have to try to get the cue ball back out to the middle or even the head end of the table. If you leave it in the foot end with all the other balls, there’s just too much of a chance you can end up snookered right up against another ball and virtually no shot.

That is my third run of 56/57 in the last month. Hopefully soon I’ll be able to at least get in to the 5th rack. For the poster who said you have to run 50+ balls 100+ times before you’ll get to a 100 ball run, I only have 97 more to go! Honestly though, with the perfect storm, I feel like I could string 7+ racks for 100+ any upcoming session, if I’m focused without distractions. It’s just a mental wall at this point keeping me from getting there.
57 on 2/16/21

I tied my high run of the year 57 last night on our 7 foot diamond, matching the same number I achieved 12 days ago. I couldn’t manufacture a break ball and left the final ball at the head of the table and was not able to catch the pack after pocketing it.

I did use a magic rack for the first time which I think helped, although I had problems getting one of the balls to freeze. I’ve got a few Accu-Rack 15 ball racks on the way, which I think will do a better job of freezing all the balls.

I’ve come to the conclusion that on the beginning of every rack break shots on a 7’ table, you have to try to get the cue ball back out to the middle or even the head end of the table. If you leave it in the foot end with all the other balls, there’s just too much of a chance you can end up snookered right up against another ball and virtually no shot.

That is my third run of 56/57 in the last month. Hopefully soon I’ll be able to at least get in to the 5th rack. For the poster who said you have to run 50+ balls 100+ times before you’ll get to a 100 ball run, I only have 97 more to go! Honestly though, with the perfect storm, I feel like I could string 7+ racks for 100+ any upcoming session, if I’m focused without distractions. It’s just a mental wall at this point keeping me from getting there.
Another 57 ball run on 2/23/21 - my third high run of 57 balls in the last month. This time I had an absolutely perfect opportunity to set up an ideal break ball, and just choked and left it dead in with no angle to get in to the rack. Frustrating but still encouraging, as all 4 racks were well planned out easy shots. The fact that others on here have recently broken through to reach 100 is giving me hope!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I finally did it. 101 just now. I filmed almost all of it. My phone ran out of memory and stopped filming in the penultimate rack. I noticed and cleared space and resumed - but it looks like I pocketed a ball or two before I realized it stopped recording.

I know this forum in particular has had prior issues with questionable video cuts - but I swear to god I ran 101 just now.

I’m on cloud nine. I’ll merge the two videos and get them posted tonight or tomorrow morning.

My apologies... I just now noticed your update. Congrats...

Watching video now. A couple of tough spots early on but that 11 ball in the 4th rack had me worried when it's wiped it's feet. Despite knowing the run was far from being over..lol

Looks like you endured a couple of deadish racks after break shots as well... Good job overcoming those, but consider the template. Worlds of difference for me.

Suprised by the loose play on the last ball... Thought for sure you were going to just swing it over to the opposite corner for one of the two open balls on that side.

I can atest to that cloud nine experience. Loved the Rocky double air pump... (y)

Race ya to 200 ;)

Last edited:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
My apologies... I just now noticed your update. Congrats...

Watching video now. A couple of tough spots early on but that 11 ball in the 4th rack had me worried when it's wiped it's feet. Despite knowing the run was far from being over..lol

Looks like you endured a couple of deadish racks after break shots as well... Good job overcoming those, but consider the template. Worlds of difference for me.

Suprised by the loose play on the last ball... Thought for sure you were going to just swing it over to the opposite corner for one of the two open balls on that side.

I can atest to that could nine experience. Loved the Rocky double air pump... (y)

Race ya to 200 ;)
Thanks my man. The Accu Rack is in the mail and should be here sooner than later.

I might have caught the 8th rack a little funny and not hard enough, but had those balls separated better it probably would have been more than 101.

And it's on to 200. :cool: Maybe I can get lighting to strike twice, in the exact same spot lol.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

congrats! If your mobile uses fat32 memory chip they cut videos to 4gb. that is around 31-32 min. NTFS internal memory is not gonna stop until it is full. When i had Honor 7. i had alarm to reset record every 30 min. Maybe yours not have that problem but wanted to inform anyways.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
congrats! If your mobile uses fat32 memory chip they cut videos to 4gb. that is around 31-32 min. NTFS internal memory is not gonna stop until it is full. When i had Honor 7. i had alarm to reset record every 30 min. Maybe yours not have that problem but wanted to inform anyways.
Thanks! I've been entertaining the idea of just buying a dedicated camera with external storage I can use for video and not have to do the "what do I have to delete" dance any time I want to take video of something. Was really not impressed with the GoPro I bought on sale. I might just bite the bullet and buy a Canon or something so I can use for other applications too.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Balls 89 and 90 are the missing two. Brutal to have to bank #100, eh? Congrats on joining the century club!
Thanks! I always had a feeling if I ever got into the 8th rack, ball 100 was going to be a blood test lol.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Thanks. I always had a feeling if I ever got into the 8th rack, ball 100 was going to be a blood test lol.
See that was my trick... I purposely miscounted my run so the actual 100th ball would feel like the 108th for me mentally... :geek:

I'm just glad I cleared the real 100 mark by a enough distance so my horrible math didn't cause me to fall short. :sick:

I'm working on a setting up a cheap security camera to monitor the table 24/7. Just let it continually overwrite the internal storage so if and when I need some footage I can just grab it on the fly. The live feed through the phone app is pretty decent so I'm hoping that internal storage ends up producing some solid footage.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First post updated.

Great shooting all! Several new personal bests, a new leader, and a new century. Keep it up!
Oh if I missed any runs it was not intentional. Let me know and I will correct.