2021 US Open 9 ball Atlantic City?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ya....

In typical pool player spirit, I'm sure rooms will have a dozen or so cots stacked up to the ceiling to save on lodging costs.
Related to which.... I was talking to the events/sales manager at the Riviera back when they were the main hotel in Las Vegas for the huge league championship tournaments. She said that housekeeping had reported one room where a bed/nest had been made on the floor from pizza boxes. She seemed more amused than outraged. I imagine the hotel loves to have 7000 people in 1000 rooms, aside from the occasional grease stain on the carpet.💰💰🍕🍕🍕

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Related to which.... I was talking to the events/sales manager at the Riviera back when they were the main hotel in Las Vegas for the huge league championship tournaments. She said that housekeeping had reported one room where a bed/nest had been made on the floor from pizza boxes. She seemed more amused than outraged. I imagine the hotel loves to have 7000 people in 1000 rooms, aside from the occasional grease stain on the carpet.💰💰🍕🍕🍕
Our league was too cheap to spring for the Riv... We ended up 4 to a room in the back forty of Circus Circus...lol

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ya....

In typical pool player spirit, I'm sure rooms will have a dozen or so cots stacked up to the ceiling to save on lodging costs.
You know it. Four is a piece of cake: 2 in the beds and 2 on the deck.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our league was too cheap to spring for the Riv... We ended up 4 to a room in the back forty of Circus Circus...lol
I knew a girl who went there every year and thought it was great. She was not the classiest female around and had several dents in her chest from the ten foot pole.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Complete with old pizza crusts or did he find new boxes somehow?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I knew a girl who went there every year and thought it was great. She was not the classiest female around and had several dents in her chest from the ten foot pole.
Ya... fortunately I was a single man back in those days and maybe was in the room for an hour or two a day...lol

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'd be one of them if there wasn't this grey cloud of covid drama loaming over the border. :(

I hope the USopen stays on the East coast for the next while.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just saw on Mathroom's FB page that they filled over half of the 256 available spots within 3 hours of registration opening. That is great:)
Evidently any issue with the location was not a problem for a lot of people:

CropperCapture[713].png

Reactions: JAM

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I assume there will be a number of qualifiers around the world. Last time I think there were 30 or 40.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting that, garczar. I know I read that thread 12 years ago, but didn't remember much. However, it doesn't seem to answer why the players who weren't paid their prize money had no recourse (if that is true) against Mackey for payment from the money Camel paid to Mackey.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting that, garczar. I know I read that thread 12 years ago, but didn't remember much. However, it doesn't seem to answer why the players who weren't paid their prize money had no recourse (if that is true) against Mackey for payment from the money Camel paid to Mackey.
Long time ago. Those who may know have moved on and put this in their rear-view mirror. My guess it was 'Warren Zevon'- lawyers, guns,and money.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's full
I think they are saving 50 plus spots for certain World ranked players who have until 7/15 to send in their entry and maybe a bunch more for qualifiers around the World. They cant let the first 256 bums who want to enter, enter and be done with it. Spots will definitely open up. Some past champions who im betting are included now, will not attend for sure.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as the Harrah's room rate goes, be sure not to stay at Harrah's on Saturday and avoid Friday if you can. If you stay six nights and leave on Saturday (not Sunday), the room total for two queen beds is roughly

800 base rate for six nights, rate varies by day
30 "lodging fee"
150 "resort fee"
112 state tax
--------------
$1092 estimated total for two queen beds for six nights with all taxes and fees

Self parking is additional, but you get a $5/day discount.

Reservations have a 24-hour cancellation policy or you forfeit one night's charges.

My son said it will cost $1500 for the duration of the tournament for the room. For an off-site hotel it was maybe 800.

He did decide that he will play though (he won several local events last few months to make the extra money anyway) so looks like we have a road trip :)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you read through the rules/regs sheet I posted, it states that competitors must be at Harah's on the 11th (Saturday).
View attachment 600725
I'm thinking that if you make it into the money then the cost of staying there becomes moot

Maybe if you cash but you are still "losing" money by paying more at the hotel. You would be up another $500 if you can pick where you stay.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe if you cash but you are still "losing" money by paying more at the hotel. You would be up another $500 if you can pick where you stay.
If you can deal with having a roommate you get at least part of that back.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My son said it will cost $1500 for the duration of the tournament for the room. For an off-site hotel it was maybe 800.

He did decide that he will play though (he won several local events last few months to make the extra money anyway) so looks like we have a road trip :)
MR will get a piece of each room rental i would think- Wonder how much of the added $$ comes from the Hotel? Ill take a stab and say $40K.