2023 World Pool Championship, Kielce, Poland

dendweller

I just saw Filler pot a ball (not alongside the rail) which hit the first diamond...it still went in. He and de commentators were very surprised it went in.

Alex got a warning or something for not hitting the break the right way. Can't find the specific rules on it. 2 balls past the head string and 1 went in...so i don't understand the problem. Anyone?
I remember back in the early 2000s watching Corey run through the field (think it was a BAC thing on espn) using a soft break. I don't understand why that's a problem. It's your break.
Corey was spreading the balls well enough to pretty consistently run out. I really don't get that rule.

Dextertje

I remember back in the early 2000s watching Corey run through the field (think it was a BAC thing on espn) using a soft break. I don't understand why that's a problem. It's your break.
Corey was spreading the balls well enough to pretty consistently run out. I really don't get that rule.
Well the answer to that is easy. They want inconsistant racks of 9 ball so it's a bit harder to run consecutive racks. I applaud it because i like to see safety battles and skill. If you can run like 6 or 7 racks in those circumstances it's much more fun to watch because they will have to shoot risky and attacking shots to make that happen.

If the break is too easy anyone in the field will use it. The pattern will be the same every rack and they get only easy shots and positions. Even i can run multiple racks under those conditions.

So far their rules are quite effective. I just can't find any info what was the basis for the warning that Alex got.

dendweller

Well the answer to that is easy. They want inconsistant racks of 9 ball so it's a bit harder to run consecutive racks. I applaud it because i like to see safety battles and skill. If you can run like 6 or 7 racks in those circumstances it's much more fun to watch because they will have to shoot risky and attacking shots to make that happen.

If the break is too easy anyone in the field will use it. The pattern will be the same every rack and they get only easy shots and positions. Even i can run multiple racks under those conditions.

So far their rules are quite effective. I just can't find any info what was the basis for the warning that Alex got.
I had not considered that.

ACL

I can't find anything either. Very strange warning from Marcel. It looks like Alex put behind him though.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
H

He seemed to get warned for a soft break, but the balls were spread really well and three balls past the head string. Can’t imagine how that could have been called a soft break.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just saw Filler pot a ball (not alongside the rail) which hit the first diamond...it still went in. He and de commentators were very surprised it went in.

Alex got a warning or something for not hitting the break the right way. Can't find the specific rules on it. 2 balls past the head string and 1 went in...so i don't understand the problem. Anyone?
All and all a well played match by both players, as you would expect from two champions. Good shot making, cue ball control, defense and counters. A very close match.

Alex pulled ahead 8-6 and Filler got out good to draw to 7-8, and then surprisingly Josh looked a little lost and confused in the next rack. He had a long semi difficult shot on the two ball with the three out in the open if he made it. The kind of shot he usually fires in and runs out. But not this time. Josh studied the shot a very long time and opted to play a safe! And it was a mediocre one at best. By far his worst of the match. It was as if he stubbed his toe when shooting.

There was a little back and forth and Josh got another open shot at the two in the side. This was an easier shot and the three was still in the open. Once again Josh studied the shot a long time, seemingly unsure how he wanted to play position for the three. Finally he shot…..and missed the easy two! Badly, it wasn’t even close! Alex ran out from there to win 9-7.

The first time I’ve ever seen a chink in Filler’s armor. This is not the same guy who was running over everyone a couple of years ago. That or Alex just has his number. He also knocked Filler out of the 9-Ball at DCC.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
also, max eberle knocked out by bautista, US open semifinalist (iirc?) hsieh knocked out by unknown spaniard

VVP

Registered
All and all a well played match by both players, as you would expect from two champions. Good shot making, cue ball control, defense and counters. A very close match.

Alex pulled ahead 8-6 and Filler got out good to draw to 7-8, and then surprisingly Josh looked a little lost and confused in the next rack. He had a long semi difficult shot on the two ball with the three out in the open if he made it. The kind of shot he usually fires in and runs out. But not this time. Josh studied the shot a very long time and opted to play a safe! And it was a mediocre one at best. By far his worst of the match. It was as if he stubbed his toe when shooting.

There was a little back and forth and Josh got another open shot at the two in the side. This was an easier shot and the three was still in the open. Once again Josh studied the shot a long time, seemingly unsure how he wanted to play position for the three. Finally he shot…..and missed the easy two! Badly, it wasn’t even close! Alex ran out from there to win 9-7.

The first time I’ve ever seen a chink in Filler’s armor. This is not the same guy who was running over everyone a couple of years ago. That or Alex just has his number. He also knocked Filler out of the 9-Ball at DCC.
In one of the commentaries, Alex Lely said that he asked Filler why he went back to CF and Filler said "no comment." Hope Predator did not force him to use CF as I have seen some speculate here.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta start'em early

1675346475703.png

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In one of the commentaries, Alex Lely said that he asked Filler why he went back to CF and Filler said "no comment." Hope Predator did not force him to use CF as I have seen some speculate here.

i found those speculations to be weird, but they are actually credible. josh filler seems to me to be not only a very habitual kind of guy but also superstitous. he has been playing lights out with his z-shaft, winning everything with it, and recently too. it's not like he's been in a form dip and would want to change things up because of that.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

Alex seems like he has been playing extremely well the last few months. I'd love to see him go far here.

kev_eh

i found those speculations to be weird, but they are actually credible. josh filler seems to me to be not only a very habitual kind of guy but also superstitous. he has been playing lights out with his z-shaft, winning everything with it, and recently too. it's not like he's been in a form dip and would want to change things up because of that.
When that was discussed by Alex and JJ in the commentary, JJ also speculated that the z-shaft "wears" over time because it's wood. Thus, the other potential reason for the switch, although the sponsor pressure to play their CF shaft is more likely. Not sure what JJ meant by that "wear" comment.