4-1/8” Corners at the Derby?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The standard Diamond pro-cut pockets are 4.5", which IMO is already too tight. I can understand making a couple of the "action" tables tighter for the one pocket players, but making ALL 40 some tables tigher than 4.5"? That's totally nuts IMO. Can anyone verify this is actually the case?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The standard Diamond pro-cut pockets are 4.5", which IMO is already too tight. I can understand making a couple of the "action" tables tighter for the one pocket players, but making ALL 40 some tables tigher than 4.5"? That's totally nuts IMO. Can anyone verify this is actually the case?
If the photo shown here in post 4, posted by Lou is in fact a Derby City 2023 table, looks like 4–1/4” to me.

tomatoshooter

Are they going to do this to other sports too? Maybe the NBA could have smaller hoops, NFL could narrow goal posts or the NHL could have smaller goals. Pro pool is turning into a circus! Maybe the next US Open they’ll have to shoot while standing on one leg. Other sports have regulation size hoops, goals, .. etc. Seems like the color of balls, pocket size, color of cloth change with each tournament.. no standards
Baseball stadia are different sizes.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were going on and on about this being Diamond's new standard during Turning Stone. Not sure how I feel about this, but I'm quite surprised.

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it seemed like matches were taking a lot longer and people were hanging up and rejecting balls o even on new cloth. outside of top players i didn’t see a run of more than two from anybody and even decent players were missing hangers. it changed the game thst is for sure and i think the tables will be miserable after a month of play

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it seemed like matches were taking a lot longer and people were hanging up and rejecting balls o even on new cloth. outside of top players i didn’t see a run of more than two from anybody and even decent players were missing hangers. it changed the game thst is for sure and i think the tables will be miserable after a month of play

Regular Pro Cut Diamonds are miserable after the cloth is worn in. This make zero sense. IMO:)

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don't have to be 4.5, but there is a lot of wiggle room between 4 1/8th and 4.5 as someone who donates to the one pocket div, I would rather play a little looser than 4 1/8th
I donate to the 9 ball division, so a little something in common there.

As far as I know, most of the stronger one hole players would rather play on a tight(er) table. A few strong players have been over to my house on several occasions to play rotation, but since the pockets play tight, they usually end up saying….”This is a good one pocket table.”

My table is a 2000 model Diamond Professional with the red label. Just the old school oak that most of us have played on. I’m pretty sure the pockets are 4.5” at the front of the pocket, but the way they’re cut, probably no more than 4.25”in the back where balls can hang just deep enough without dropping that you can’t clip the ball in coming offs the rail the next shot, you’d have to hit ball first.

I could tell you how long my Simonis 860 has been on there, but nobody would probably believe me. They’d say that I need to get it recovered. But it’s in really good shape and plays about medium speed, not slow and not fast like new tournament cloth. To me, it plays perfect and that’s the same scenario we find on most pool hall tables to begin with. It definitely makes you have to hit the balls good if you fire anything in. If I want to speed the table up, I usually just vacuum it real good and it’s noticeable that it’s playing a little faster for a week or two perhaps.

Good luck in the one hole at Derby. I can’t wait to get there tomorrow, it’s practically the only tournament I go to and without my wife knowing I typed these words….it’s my favorite week of the year.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Regular Pro Cut Diamonds are miserable after the cloth is worn in. This make zero sense. IMO:)
Personally, I like the diamond 4.5" pockets, but I do agree with you in general. For players like me that play all the usual games (9 & 10 ball, 8 ball, banks, onepocket and 14.1) , I really really hope they don't get any tighter. Banks especially is a game that is negatively impacted on tighter pockets, imo. Maybe if 9 ball was the only game going, then sure, tighten them up and stop manufacturing ball #'s 10-15.

But pool is a collection of games, and that is what makes it fun to me. Otherwise, quitting pool and taking up snooker might be best. But you won't be seeing banks and a whole range of other shots though.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are they going to do this to other sports too? Maybe the NBA could have smaller hoops, NFL could narrow goal posts or the NHL could have smaller goals. Pro pool is turning into a circus! Maybe the next US Open they’ll have to shoot while standing on one leg. Other sports have regulation size hoops, goals, .. etc. Seems like the color of balls, pocket size, color of cloth change with each tournament.. no standards
Smaller holes in golf?

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The change in pocket size is interesting. I don't know if it will hurt the pro pool product, however it may discourage amateur participation.

I remember watching CJ and Dennis play rotation on a tight table for money. The match included a safety battle most racks, not great to watch.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
The change in pocket size is interesting. I don't know if it will hurt the pro pool product, however it may discourage amateur participation.

I remember watching CJ and Dennis play rotation on a tight table for money. The match included a safety battle most racks, not great to watch.
Tighter pockets discourage run out pool and big packages, which excite fans. It's like baseball trying to discourage home runs.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I`m not sure I agree with that. lots of dead money in banks.
I agree. The players that go from my area only go for the banks and one-pocket. I think it's easier to not look like a total banger in those two games against pros than 9 ball, and I think that's the opinion of a lot of other players too.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buffalos’s in New Orleans has 4 1/4 on all their 9’ tables, even the 10’er.
That's a player's room though. Sadly 9 foot pool in the Midwest is struggling. I don't think this will help, but then again not too many rooms are adding 9 foot tables at all. So basically -- I don't know.