4- Quarter Brazilian Rosewood

bobalouiecda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this dimension in demand for cue builders, for points etc? Since it is so hard to find can it be laminated to build cues? I can buy 12 Bd Ft. locally. Great color. Also how much is it worth please? I would rather not say what it is going for, but would buy all of it and sell some of it if it is a good deal.
Thanks for any help on this. Bob Healey
 
Would depend on quality, grain structure and color. If it's defect free, has an array of colors from black to red, and variegated grain like that of figured zircote then it could be worth a lot. If it's bland uniform chocolate brown with little or no character then not worth much. The best braz rose looks like a mix between deep red cocobolo and crazy landscape figured zircote. In braz rose, the figure is called "spider webbing".
 
Would depend on quality, grain structure and color. If it's defect free, has an array of colors from black to red, and variegated grain like that of figured zircote then it could be worth a lot. If it's bland uniform chocolate brown with little or no character then not worth much. The best braz rose looks like a mix between deep red cocobolo and crazy landscape figured zircote. In braz rose, the figure is called "spider webbing".

spider cue spider cue....does what no other cue can do :wink:
 
4/4 wood is, for the most part, not used in the construction of cues.
It can be used for points and J/Ps and that's about it.
Medium figure Brazilian is currently running about $100/bd.ft.
Most of it is being bought by guitar makers.
One option you have is to offer it on a guitar makers forum.
 
If they are at least 3/4 thick and 3" wide by 29" long, I'd be interested .
One piece laminated butt is ok by me.
 
4/4 wood is, for the most part, not used in the construction of cues.
It can be used for points and J/Ps and that's about it.
Medium figure Brazilian is currently running about $100/bd.ft.
Most of it is being bought by guitar makers.
One option you have is to offer it on a guitar makers forum.

If it's dry and stable, it can be used for forearms if you're making a shortspliced cue. You just cut it into squares and turn and taper it just enough to turn the joint end round. Then you cut your "V" grooves into the flats using points that are thick enough to make the necessary size at the bottom of the prong. I've made several cues from 4/4 wood in this manner.

Sherm
 
OK, there are many ways to skin a feline but wouldn't it be more practical to start with a chunk that's at least 5/4?
It's still available.
There's also the possibility that it could be made into shafts if someone were so daring. Talk about a hit.....
 
OK, there are many ways to skin a feline but wouldn't it be more practical to start with a chunk that's at least 5/4?
It's still available.
There's also the possibility that it could be made into shafts if someone were so daring. Talk about a hit.....

I agree. But I found some 4/4 birdseye once that was just spectacular and they ONLY had it in 4/4. That's when I figured out how to use 4/4 for prongs. I used ebony points and butt sleeves with this and they turned out real nice. I usually try to buy 6/4 when I have the option.
 
Back
Top