43 to old to start?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Because of the way the APA handicap system is set up, APA teams are always looking for beginners. Look around to find a team with a group of people you feel good with and join. If one team doesn't work out, don't let that discourage you. Try another.
Once you find the right team for you, you will enjoy learning the game of pool.

Rich R.
Don't forget to add, after you have had the fun and gotten better, you will need to form a new team because you likely wont fit on your old team under the point system. But yes, start and have fun, get better and love this game.

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't forget to add, after you have had the fun and gotten better, you will need to form a new team because you likely wont fit on your old team under the point system. But yes, start and have fun, get better and love this game.
And when you get so good you get kicked out of the APA totally just like Fast Larry :LOL:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
FWIW, the OP seemed to really get into it, had a Predator shaft fitted to a Coker cue, asked about flying with a cue, went to Vegas with a team, ....

But not on this site since 2009.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Bought a 8' Vitalie table for xmas & found out I love to play.Is 43 to old for a beginner to jion the APA?Would it be fun?
Defiantly not! love and enjoy the game! If you find yourself not enjoying the apa, or league for that matter, then stop. The importance is enjoying yourself while doing something you love, sometimes tournaments, leagues, or gambling can take that enjoyment away for some.

crazy8legs

Registered
In APA you'll be like a hot chick. Everybody will want you. (Beginners allow the experienced players to make the handicap numbers, allowing them to play, and keep their teams together)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because of the way the APA handicap system is set up, APA teams are always looking for beginners. Look around to find a team with a group of people you feel good with and join. If one team doesn't work out, don't let that discourage you. Try another.
Once you find the right team for you, you will enjoy learning the game of pool.

Rich R.
This is spot on. APA and their handicap system needs players of all skill levels. You will see players much better than you, of your skill level and likely well below your skill level.

If your asking if you can get good at that age, I’d say yes. You will probably never be a world champion, but I see no reason why you cannot become a “good player.” Finding other good players to mentor and play with will drastically reduce that learning curve. Don’t be afraid to ask, people generally like helping others learn the game. Take your beatings, then ask why they did “x”, or what would they have done on a certain shot. Learn from them.

I’m in my mid 30’s. As APA standards go, I was maxed out in both 8/9 ball on handicap when I stopped playing. I got into other hobbies and basically took a 9 year break where I didn’t touch a cue or visit this site. I recently got interested again and in 2-3 weeks I’m pretty close to where I left off. At least I feel like it, maybe not match play but my skills/ball making feels real similar. Some of that is there are so many good instructional videos/YouTube etc, that I kind of cleaned up some bad habits just watching them.

and most importantly have fun. Enjoy the learning process and don’t become overly frustrated as you go.

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is spot on. APA and their handicap system needs players of all skill levels. You will see players much better than you, of your skill level and likely well below your skill level.

If your asking if you can get good at that age, I’d say yes. You will probably never be a world champion, but I see no reason why you cannot become a “good player.” Finding other good players to mentor and play with will drastically reduce that learning curve. Don’t be afraid to ask, people generally like helping others learn the game. Take your beatings, then ask why they did “x”, or what would they have done on a certain shot. Learn from them.

I’m in my mid 30’s. As APA standards go, I was maxed out in both 8/9 ball on handicap when I stopped playing. I got into other hobbies and basically took a 9 year break where I didn’t touch a cue or visit this site. I recently got interested again and in 2-3 weeks I’m pretty close to where I left off. At least I feel like it, maybe not match play but my skills/ball making feels real similar. Some of that is there are so many good instructional videos/YouTube etc, that I kind of cleaned up some bad habits just watching them.

and most importantly have fun. Enjoy the learning process and don’t become overly frustrated as you go.
And I fell for the nearly two decades old thread without realizing it. Awesome lol

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
FWIW, I have played pool all of my adult life. From my teen years to age 52 I went into a poolhall/bar on rare occasions, maybe two, three times a year. I didn't know diddly-squat about how real pool was supposed to be played. I just shot a ball and whatever the table had in store was what I shot next. I believe they would have referred to me as a banger.

At age 49 I retired from my job at General Motors and needed another hobby to help pass some time.

At age 53 I decided that I wanted to take up pool seriously as that hobby. I have progressed from a banger to a player that has run up to three racks of 9-ball, and has run 37 balls in 14.1 (yeah...I know 37 balls isn't so hot, but I only played in that league for one session and haven't played 14.1 since).

I'm not great by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm a LOT better than I used to be. Given an inning or two, I can get out against you, provided the balls are laying good.

Watch videos, get some private instruction, go down to the poolhall and watch the good players play, and ask questions to those good players who don't mind answering them.

At your starting age you are never going to be a world beater, but I bet if you take it seriously enough and work hard to improve, you will eventually get to where you are respected by your peers in your local halls/bars.

Good luck and good shooting!

Maniac (closing in fast on 68)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn .... never thought about age as a criteria to play pool!! I'm 74 years old, haven't played pool since I was in high school, and just ordered an 8' table to put in an addition we're finishing. Hope to BEGIN playing pool in early March. Looking forward to it. Have been reviewing the CD "A Pool Lesson" by Jerry Briesath and have a book on order written by Mark Wilson. Plan on "studying" d
Definitely not too old at 43. APA is a perfect place to start.
The OP is now in his 60s. :eek:

13 yr old thread, when it started my son just started playing pool at 8, he turned 21 a few months ago.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
might think AZ got hacked, there has been some big changes.
Im order to make a determination as to whether you've recently struck your head, or if you were born thick...pleas elaborate as to why you found that a possibility in the context of this thread?

Is it somehow suggestive of a hacking that one would create a thread and not post in 10+ yr., then have the thread brought back to the fore by others?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Im order to make a determination as to whether you've recently struck your head, or if you were born thick...pleas elaborate as to why you found that a possibility in the context of this thread?

Is it somehow suggestive of a hacking that one would create a thread and not post in 10+ yr., then have the thread brought back to the fore by others?
early scouts phish and blanket area

follow up team does their job

hacking in teams

are you in the game?

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Never too old to start. Hell, 43 isn't even that old in the world of pool, you're still a young gun. Go for it, play hard, play smart.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bought a 8' Vitalie table for xmas & found out I love to play.Is 43 to old for a beginner to jion the APA?Would it be fun?
Just keep your expectations reasonable and enjoy playing the game. As a beginner, you’re going to improve at any age. In some ways, you are better off than those 20 years older like me that have played for 50 years and are now on the decline as far as our pool game. We will never again play like we used to except in short spurts, and it’s hard to accept, but I’m trying.