marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strange these blue-blooded European-used entities have never tested on U.S. soil. Hmm.

Thats due to the incompetency of BCA who is (ir)responsible for US pool and WADA testing on US soil...and because of BCA ignorance (one of many reasons) pool has virtually zero chance to make it to Olympics...

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats due to the incompetency of BCA who is (ir)responsible for US pool and WADA testing on US soil...and because of BCA ignorance (one of many reasons) pool has virtually zero chance to make it to Olympics...

Now we're talking turkey. This is a point I agree with! :clapping::clapping:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again, stupid is as stupid does.

That list, BTW, is effective January 2019.

His link is sharing that you can get a Therapeutic Use Exception (TUE) if you have a medical necessity for the medication. It looks like beta blockers can get a TUE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His link is sharing that you can get a Therapeutic Use Exception (TUE) if you have a medical necessity for the medication. It looks like beta blockers can get a TUE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I hope after the so-called "investigation" that Mario He is cleared.

But the opportunity to compete in the Mosconi Cup may never come again for him. I hope this is not the case, though.

This whole thing stinks. Blue-blooded Euro-using sucker-punching entities.

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
Again, stupid is as stupid does.

That list, BTW, is effective January 2019.

I really don't understand what is so stupid about it. There's medical evidence suggesting certain substances can be abused in certain sports. There's also a clear understanding that these substances can be used in treating certain medical conditions, hence procedures are put in place for athletes to obtain authorization proceeding to drug tests.

This is actually the first time I heard pool follows and enforces WADA. I reckon the practice should be recommended and used in the USA such that players need to be tested before, during, and after a professional event.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So what happens if someone who needs blood pressure medicine does not take it and then drops dead from a stroke or a heart attack on a field of tournament blue?
Athletes now have to watch what drugs they take. If the only drug that will work for a particular condition is on the banned list, then the athlete has to seek an exemption.

As for no US players being tested, I believe any WPA-sanctioned event is subject to WADA testing.

In the old days at Cochran's in SF, players used to call over to the counter for "a glass of beer and a straight-shooting pill", so I've been told. I think that WADA would not approve.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't understand what is so stupid about it. There's medical evidence suggesting certain substances can be abused in certain sports. There's also a clear understanding that these substances can be used in treating certain medical conditions, hence procedures are put in place for athletes to obtain authorization proceeding to drug tests.

This is actually the first time I heard pool follows and enforces WADA. I reckon the practice should be recommended and used in the USA such that players need to be tested before, during, and after a professional event.

Hahahahahahahaha! That's so funny! Hahahahahahahaha!

For one thing, that stupid WADA list says effective January 2019. It's now November 2018.

Secondly, U.S. pool authorities? We have none. It's the Wild Wild West in good ol' USA. Nobody gives a damn about professional pool. It's all about making money with the leagues and social shooters and recreational players. Ameican professional pool players are pariahs in some circles, even on this forum from time to time.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take mine once a day. If I skip a day, I guess I can just die, according to the WADA, if I want to compete professionally.

It's ridiculous.

No, you should get a therapeutic exemption as was already pointed out. But the problem is deeper philosoficaly in my opinion that goes beyond WADA testing. Ask yourself if it is really ok that people with serious medical condition compete as professional ATHLETES. Is it ok that cyclists with serious asthma race at Tour de France while taking medicals allowing them to breathe better which are otherwise banned? Is it ok for athletes like Caster Semenya to race against women when her body produces 3-5x times more testosterone than normal woman body does? Where is the line?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... For one thing, that stupid WADA list says effective January 2019. It's now November 2018.
If you want to see the previous list, I'm sure it is around. I think any failed test was related to a drug on the then-current list.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, you should get a therapeutic exemption as was already pointed out. But the problem is deeper philosoficaly in my opinion that goes beyond WADA testing. Ask yourself if it is really ok that people with serious medical condition compete as professional ATHLETES. Is it ok that cyclists with serious asthma race at Tour de France while taking medicals allowing them to breathe better which are otherwise banned? Is it ok for athletes like Caster Semenya to race against women when her body produces 3-5x times more testosterone than normal woman body does? Where is the line?

A lot of people have high blood pressure. It is, for some, hereditary, and for others, it's related to obesity.

Maybe we should just ban fat pool players from now on. Let's only let skinny people play professional pool.

I know a lot of pro players that have medical conditions, and there is not one damn reason why they should be banned from professional pool. NONE!

This thread is acting like pool players are on steroids, trying to enhance their performance. Some people need blood pressure medicine, and I can say with certainty that the medicine I am on would not make me play any better or worse.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I hope after the so-called "investigation" that Mario He is cleared.

But the opportunity to compete in the Mosconi Cup may never come again for him. I hope this is not the case, though.

This whole thing stinks. Blue-blooded Euro-using sucker-punching entities.

No he wont be cleared 99.9% as he didnt have a therapeutical exemption, plain and simple..

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No he wont be cleared 99.9% as he didnt have a therapeutical exemption, plain and simple..

And that stinks. Not fair.

We're talking about pool, the lowest level on the ladder rung as far as sports. It's not because the competitors are taking blood pressure medicine, either.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people have high blood pressure. It is, for some, hereditary, and for others, it's related to obesity.

Maybe we should just ban fat pool players from now on. Let's only let skinny people play professional pool.

I know a lot of pro players that have medical conditions, and there is not one damn reason why they should be banned from professional pool. NONE!

This thread is acting like pool players are on steroids, trying to enhance their performance. Some people need blood pressure medicine, and I can say with certainty that the medicine I am on would not make me play any better or worse.

If you think that pro pool scene in USA is healthy and thriving then all good :thumbup:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And that stinks. Not fair.

We're talking about pool, the lowest level on the ladder rung as far as sports. It's not because the competitors are taking blood pressure medicine, either.

Yes, thats probably a view of pool....in USA;)

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
This is ridiculous. It's like me testing positive for heroin because I had a muffin for breakfast with poppy seeds on it. Sheesh!

It's funny that you mention poppy seed muffins, because that's happened at an Olympic
type event some years ago, I think bicycle racing.
I don't think you'll find anyone that would argue with you, but rules is rules.
I think that typically the practice among Olympic athletes is that prior to taking any
prescription med, the banned substances list is gone over thoroughly to make sure there
is no chance of being DQ'ed and side effects are checked, blood chemistry and med
history, etc....
I know a couple of athletes here that have gone to compete in an AAU, and a world cup qualifier
that were disqualified because a natural home made tea they drink caused their urine
test to show banned substances, it was made from flowers, nothing sinister about it.
Sometimes it happens. But with prescription meds you really should be aware. It ain't
always fair, but it is what it is

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, thats probably a view of pool....in USA;)

I just judge it on income. I don't see any European pros getting rich on pool either. My view includes pool in Europe as well.

The sport is fragmented. Sure, in Asia, it is thriving more so than here or Europe, but the cost to compete professionally and travel the globe is more than what most earn in playing pool professionally. You know this, though, I'm sure.

Snooker, on the other hand ....

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny that you mention poppy seed muffins, because that's happened at an Olympic
type event some years ago, I think bicycle racing.
I don't think you'll find anyone that would argue with you, but rules is rules.
I think that typically the practice among Olympic athletes is that prior to taking any
prescription med, the banned substances list is gone over thoroughly to make sure there
is no chance of being DQ'ed and side effects are checked, blood chemistry and med
history, etc....
I know a couple of athletes here that have gone to compete in an AAU, and a world cup qualifier
that were disqualified because a natural home made tea they drink caused their urine
test to show banned substances, it was made from flowers, nothing sinister about it.
Sometimes it happens. But with prescription meds you really should be aware. It ain't
always fair, but it is what it is

We're talking about pool. It's not even in the Olympic Games, and they're drug-testing people in Europe? This is assine.

Who do those blue-blooded European pool entities think they are? They're acting like pool is some great sport with national recognition, worthy of headlines in front-page news.

They need to wake up and smell the coffee. Ninety-nine percent of pros can barely pay rent, much less own property.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although some people are quickly saying this ban was a mistake, I don't think so.

1. It's been widely publicized for several years that the WPA are participating in the anti-doping regs.
2. If you're taking prescription or physician-recommended meds, it's just not that hard to make sure your doctor knows you're in an anti-doping sport and make sure you do what you need to do.
3. I'm not willing to just take Mario He's word for it that he didn't know. It may be an innocent mistake, but I don't want to assume he's guilty, and I'm also not going to assume he's innocent.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
We're talking about pool. It's not even in the Olympic Games, and they're drug-testing people in Europe? This is assine.

Who do those blue-blooded European pool entities think they are? They're acting like pool is some great sport with national recognition, worthy of headlines in front-page news.

They need to wake up and smell the coffee. Ninety-nine percent of pros can barely pay rent, much less own property.

Are they using the IOC rules or banned substances list, or did they come up with their
own because they are now taking it upon themselves to police cue sports?
Or is this a WPA thing?