MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a horrible news for him. His game has been improving and it’s been paying off in his results. He earned a slot on the team for the first time and then gets gut punched. OUCH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bad news for Mario. He will take it well though and bounce back. Good news for USA team though, their chance of winning has increased by zero percent. Better than a decrease.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's too bad. Mario is a great guy and doesn't deserve this. It leaves me wondering if the U.S. players also get drug tested. Now, that might prove interesting. :wink:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait a minute! Let me understand this. Matchroom Sport disqualifies him for taking a blood pressure medicine not on the list of acceptable pharmaceuticals?

This is not right! :angry:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Details here:
I just cannot say more than it is horrible news for Mario, his family and fans. He definitely deserved the place on board and in two weeks till the Cup starting to experience this... I feel very sorry for him...

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wait a minute! Let me understand this. Matchroom sport disqualifies him for taking a blood pressure medicine not on the list of acceptable pharmaceuticals?

vagqw.jpg

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is outrageous! He was taking BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICINE!

He wasn't shooting up drugs, snorting coke, or smoking pot. This is not fair at all! :angry:

MatchroomPool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Wait a minute! Let me understand this. Matchroom Sport disqualifies him for taking a blood pressure medicine not on the list of acceptable pharmaceuticals?

It's nothing to do with us if you read the release,

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
My inderstanding is that he (He) withdrew, and he is committed to working out the situation. Matchroom didn’t kick him off.

I’m speculating, but there are drugs that are on the IOC no-go list that have raised eyebrows but are understandable including certain asthma, allergy, and high blood pressure drugs. I’m assuming one of these like propranalol, which would keep your heart rate down in anxiety situations.

I assume the European billiard organization have a similar list if not identical to IOC.

Freddie <~~~ good luck to Mario going forward

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My inderstanding is that he (He) withdrew, and he is committed to working out the situation. Matchroom didn’t kick him off.

I’m speculating, but there are drugs that are on the IOC no-go list that have raised eyebrows but are understandable including certain asthma, allergy, and high blood pressure drugs. I’m assuming one of these like propranalol, which would keep your heart rate down in anxiety situations.

I assume the European billiard organization have a similar list if not identical to IOC.

Freddie <~~~ good luck to Mario going forward

I take Atenolol 50 mg. It makes my heart rate go way down to like 48 and 50. But it is the only medicine I can take that does not give me side effects.

Mario He's statement is cryptic, then, if Matchroom didn't give him the boot. He should state on there who did this to him. Why did he withdraw? Who said he was doping? This is information that was omitted.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don`t think this mainly has to do with the MC or Matchroom.
Sad as it is, I think Mario´s problems are far bigger.
I don`t know how strict the EPBF´s doping regulations are, but since he pulled out in the middle of the last Eurotour event, I guess the positiv test was taken during the tournament.
So it is possible, that he gets banned from the Eurotour, the Austrian Team and therefore European Championships, World Championships etc.
Not to mention he would lose governmental fundings, sponsors and so on. At the extreme this could be the end of his career as a pro player.

Austria had other doping cases in sports like cycling or nordic skiing and since then the rules are very strict. So even though Mario didn`t do it on purpose but rather made a mistake, I don`t think he will get much support, because the puplic perception of doping is similar to committing a serious crime.

I really hope he can solve this somehow....

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sad news here and wishing Mario He better times ahead. I hope to see him in a future Mosconi cup.

From a pool standpoint, though, I like Alex Kazakhs over Mario and I think team Europe just got a little bit stronger.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don`t think this mainly has to do with the MC or Matchroom.
Sad as it is, I think Mario´s problems are far bigger.
I don`t know how strict the EPBF´s doping regulations are, but since he pulled out in the middle of the last Eurotour event, I guess the positiv test was taken during the tournament.
So it is possible, that he gets banned from the Eurotour, the Austrian Team and therefore European Championships, World Championships etc.
Not to mention he would lose governmental fundings, sponsors and so on. At the extreme this could be the end of his career as a pro player.

Austria had other doping cases in sports like cycling or nordic skiing and since then the rules are very strict. So even though Mario didn`t do it on purpose but rather made a mistake, I don`t think he will get much support, because the puplic perception of doping is similar to committing a serious crime.

I really hope he can solve this somehow....

Good grief! This does not make any sense to me. BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICINE!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad news here and wishing Mario He better times ahead. I hope to see him in a future Mosconi cup.

From a pool standpoint, though, I like Alex Kazakhs over Mario and I think team Europe just got a little bit stronger.

Good news for you, I guess, if you like Europe! :p

I like Kaci, but I'm pulling for Team USA all the way! As an American, I'm kind of patriotic that way. ;)

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's nothing to do with us if you read the release,

I believe I know how it went. At Eurotour top players and some random ones as well are tested by WADA for banned substances and Mario has been tested positive for such. And while according to the press release it was "non-performance enhancing drug" (he probably meant "performance non-enhancing drug") the substance is on the list of banned substances which makes it Mario tested positive. The fact that the case is "ongoing" probably means that there will be a hearing at WADA with Mario to determine the penalty. But Mario aparently decided to withdraw from MC not to damage reputation of MC/Matchroom Sports.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad for Mario and their team. After what Lance Armstrong did to cycling no sport wants to take any chances.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Good news for you, I guess, if you like Europe! :p

I like Kaci, but I'm pulling for Team USA all the way! As an American, I'm kind of patriotic that way. ;)

If we play our best, we might pull it off. I think the addition of Jeremy jones to Johan’s coaching staff should pay dividends.

Let the games begin.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad for Mario and their team. After what Lance Armstrong did to cycling no sport wants to take any chances.

Have you seen Mario He's physique? He's a little chunky kind of guy, big build. I don't think he's taking enhancing drugs like Lance Armstrong. I think he has a medical condition like a lot people do who are carrying extra weight. Poor guy has high blood pressure, like I do.

I wish he had written his statement better. Also, I wish he did not withdraw. Let the record speak for itself.

Attachments

• 784c13819646f1ea4deec86a86b1dbf57d0c538f.jpg.jpg
    784c13819646f1ea4deec86a86b1dbf57d0c538f.jpg.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 534