$500 CF shaft

chenjy9

That's one (unless you like your shaft whippy or soft).

I don't think thermal expandability is a problem with maple. And maple shafts are easily kept smooth.

I doubt that difference, if real, is noticable.

I've never heard of a maple shaft wearing out or "going bad".

As I said before, that may be true, but only to a tiny degree.

In other words, I think maple shafts perform pretty much as well as CF shafts, and liking one more than the other is mostly personal preference - but of course personal preference is important.

pj
chgo
To keep a maple shaft smooth, you have to either use a glove (makes point moot) or sand it down when it gets sticky from skin oil and chalk which means loss of material. You don't have to worry about that with CF as a quick wipe down restores it and without any loss of material. It is also noticeably more slicker and less prone to get dirty, making your stroke more consistent regardless of glove usage.

Marginally better is still better though. Now that said, I absolutely agree that one can use a maple shaft as effectively as a carbon fiber one. Objectively however, carbon fiber is better shaft material than wood as it is more strong, rigid, durable, and slick.

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
To keep a maple shaft smooth, you have to either use a glove (makes point moot) or sand it down when it gets sticky from skin oil and chalk which means loss of material. You don't have to worry about that with CF as a quick wipe down restores it and without any loss of material. It is also noticeably more slicker and less prone to get dirty, making your stroke more consistent regardless of glove usage.

Marginally better is still better though. Now that said, I absolutely agree that one can use a maple shaft as effectively as a carbon fiber one. Objectively however, carbon fiber is better shaft material than wood as it is more strong, rigid, durable, and slick.

Why do you have to sand it down when it’s sticky and dirty? That’s a pretty big reach!

When my maple shaft gets sticky I clean it. Most of the time wiping with a damp cloth then immediately drying it with a dry paper towel gets it plenty slick enough.

chenjy9

Why do you have to sand it down when it’s sticky and dirty? That’s a pretty big reach!

When my maple shaft gets sticky I clean it. Most of the time wiping with a damp cloth then immediately drying it with a dry paper towel gets it plenty slick enough.
Even if you use a paper towel, it still sands a thin layer of material. That is the nature of soft, biological material.

xX-Wizard-Xx

you dont have to sand anything ..... its rare if ever i have needed to sand a wood shaft

xX-Wizard-Xx

i have had the same shaft for many years and it is still pretty much the way i bought it. some people get it in there head they need to sand a shaft....

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
has anyone else noticed that a $500 CF shaft won't fix a $1 stroke..................

Kim
The shaft or any equipment is not intended to take the place of practice, study and learning in a competitive setting. It's been that way for a long time. Equipment that feels right to the individual certainly can enhance their game. It's been a long time but I have seen a spot involving one oppenent using a house cue instead of their usual playing cue.

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
you dont have to sand anything ..... its rare if ever i have needed to sand a wood shaft
I find it hard to believe the occasional wipe down with a paper towel would sand through the sealer/oil/dirt that’s on the shaft then sand the wood before I’ve used it enough to create another layer of oil/dirt though I could be wrong.

pw98

Registered
I find it hard to believe the occasional wipe down with a paper towel would sand through the sealer/oil/dirt that’s on the shaft then sand the wood before I’ve used it enough to create another layer of oil/dirt though I could be wrong.
It's definitely not true if this was the case then there would be no 200 year old wood floors left in country because they all would have worn away from mopping long ago.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
To keep a maple shaft smooth, you have to either use a glove (makes point moot) or sand it down when it gets sticky from skin oil and chalk which means loss of material.
You could just wipe it with a damp cloth. Even dings can be simply removed (although that may take a little sanding after the ding is raised).

Edit: Oops - I see I'm late to this part of the conversation.

pj
chgo

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
has anyone else noticed that a $500 CF shaft won't fix a $1 stroke..................

Kim
Weird when you sell them how much you bash them.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even if you use a paper towel, it still sands a thin layer of material. That is the nature of soft, biological material.
You must have special 220 grit paper towels.. I would love to see how much wood you could sand off a shaft with a paper towel in one hour or one week non stop. You are kidding right??

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I agree. I've seen great players, bad players, etc playing with CF. I think the better players are going to play well with maple or whatever they choose. I've seen players switch and instantly go go backwards in skill level for the sake of switching and I've seen players switch and settle in with no issue. I think with cues that players have to consider more what they play best with and what feels right with if its a 75 dollar Players or 3K custom cue, or a Cf shaft if that works best. I don't think you should switch to any certain cue thinking your game or your stroke is going to be in there waiting for you. No magic pill and cf is no different. I switched to it..I love and hate it. I'll probably be taking my own advice and going back to what I play best with instead of trying to make something work that I don't need. Its cool and great for some..not so sure it's for me. And I'm ok with that !!

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just why?

A $500 maple shaft won’t fix a $1 stroke either. A $300 case won’t fix a $1 stroke. A cue from a master custom cue maker won’t fix a $1 stroke. A glove won’t fix a $1 stroke. Your favorite chalk won’t fix a $1 stroke. Talcum powder won’t fix a $1 stroke. A Southwest cue won’t fix a $1 stroke.

Why create such an inane topic? Can’t we be better people?

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Just why?

A $500 maple shaft won’t fix a $1 stroke either. A $300 case won’t fix a $1 stroke. A cue from a master custom cue maker won’t fix a $1 stroke. A glove won’t fix a $1 stroke. Your favorite chalk won’t fix a $1 stroke. Talcum powder won’t fix a $1 stroke. A Southwest cue won’t fix a $1 stroke.

Why create such an inane topic? Can’t we be better people?
hahahahaa........... you seemed to like it

Kim