526 consecutive balls

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I know ppl won't like this but here it goes!!!

I don't consider Mosconi's run of 525 to be of anything significant, I really don't!!! Come on, its on 8ft table with 5 and a 1/4 inch pockets?!!! Thats super easy for any pro if they know their 14.1 patterns.......I bet table was real easy, as a matter of fact I bet Mosconi always played on easy tables. You know what I am going to drop the balls here and say that I doubt Mosconi would even run a 100 balls on tight pockets of today's standard without new clothes.

Flame on, go on I know everyone loves Willie Mosconi.

Gear101

The only thing cnc has done for cues is ease of repeatability and helped break the mold in inlay. Measurement has been capable of high tolerance long before cnc was invented. Carbon fiber is only a better material due to less waste of material due to culling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
CNC machines are used to build whole cues now a days, becuase they make a more desirable end product to tolerances that would never be made by a hand lathe.
Fact check me.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CNC machines are used to build whole cues now a days, becuase they make a more desirable end product to tolerances that would never be made by a hand lathe.
Fact check me.
There’s no CNC machine made cue that I would consider more desirable than my Mobley. Machine made cues have no heart. And there’s just more beauty in something hand made.

It’s like this. Sure, I’d love to bang one of those runway models with what’s considered a perfect body and tight lines, but we all know the better lay is a smoking hot imperfect redneck chick with daddy issues and low self esteem.

you can keep you cnc machine cues. They are all the same to me.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
lol an engine lathe is a machine, these things arent spun and wittled by hand
the metal pin isnt made from scratch and the ore picked from the mountain then melted down and carved by hand the threads
they are all machine made with a skilled knowledgeable hand behind the control, manual or automatic

good friday mornin to y`all

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Source Wiki...

Mosconi set the world record by running 526 consecutive balls without a miss during a straight pool exhibition in Springfield, Ohio on March 19–20, 1954.[11] A handwritten and notarized affidavit[12] with the signatures of more than 35 eyewitnesses exists as proof of this feat. The record has been surpassed, with 626 consecutive balls ran by John Schmidt on May 27, 2019, recorded on a videotape.[13] Critics have argued that Mosconi's record was made in competition while Schmidt simply set up break shots for himself, and that his video was never released.[14][15]

Mosconi’s record was set on a 4 × 8 foot Brunswick table with 5 1/4 inch corner pockets at the East High Billiard Club. Schmidt’s run was on a 4 1/2 by 9 foot table which is more difficult in the sense that longer shots are required but which is easier to play on in the sense that there is more room for the balls to spread, creating unfettered shots. Mosconi competed successfully on 4 1/2 × 9 and even 5 x 10 ft tables.

Mosconi's run was on an oversized 8ft, which is only 4in smaller in width and 8in in length. Corner pockets were 5.25". John was playing into 5" corners and 5.5" sides on a slightly larger table. I remember playing on a table with huge side pockets....they are great saviors, can shoot a ball into those from almost anywhere...lol.

I'm definitely not downing his run, but those are buckets. That said, 626 is freaking awesome. Plus I think John holds the record for high run on a diamond 9ft table also. So he's definitely the real deal, one of the best (if not the best) straight pool shooter there's been so far.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know ppl won't like this but here it goes!!!

I don't consider Mosconi's run of 525 to be of anything significant, I really don't!!! Come on, its on 8ft table with 5 and a 1/4 inch pockets?!!! Thats super easy for any pro if they know their 14.1 patterns.......I bet table was real easy, as a matter of fact I bet Mosconi always played on easy tables. You know what I am going to drop the balls here and say that I doubt Mosconi would even run a 100 balls on tight pockets of today's standard without new clothes.

Flame on, go on I know everyone loves Willie Mosconi.
Of course Mosconi played on the easiest table available when he gave his exhibitions.
He was there to entertain the people not to struggle on a tough table.
It was show business.
Plus his contract forbid him to play on non Brunswick tables.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Of course Mosconi played on the easiest table available when he gave his exhibitions.
It was show business.

Exactly. And he had plenty of 125 ball runs and higher on bigger and tighter tables. People seem to ignore that Mr 600 set the new record on a table with 5in corner pockets and 5.5" sides. Still a great acknowledge, remarkable really. But downplaying Mosconi's abilities and achievements is a bit overreaching.

middleofnowhere

Registered
It was show business.
You are right about the Brunswick thing. I was at an exhibition of his and after he was doing his thing signing autographs an so on.

Two old guys wanted to invite him to do an exibition at their condo that had a billiard room. They offered him $2500.00 for the night plus dinner and a whole deal.

The first thing he asked was what kind of tables they had. Don't know what they said but he said he had to decline because it was not a Brunswick room.

Later when he worked for Ebonite it was different. I saw him do an exibition on a Fisher bar table. It was horrible, his trick shots didn't work and he didn't even seem to care. He was getting paid and the audience got to meet the great Mosconi. He was with his daughter and actually seemed happy.

Jimmy Caras told me he was one of the few people who got retirement from Brunswick. He said they were so bad to work for people always quit.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Plus I think John holds the record for high run on a diamond 9ft table also.
Your thought is incorrect. JS does not have the highest run on a Diamond.
The only run over 300 on a Diamond 9ft is 311 and it wasn't by John.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was show business.

This is not accurate.

The times I saw him he would play on the money table -- every room has one -- like the center court table. If it was easy or tough did not matter to him. I saw him at one room where he gave his exhibition on the money table preferred by all the 1pocket players in the room. I thought it was a fairly tough table. He made it look easy.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Then we should definitely call all the cue builders in the United States right now and tell him to throw away those 10,20, $40,000 CNC machine and go back and get a tool, much like you are and old school lathe.

Let us know how that goes for you, since you claim manual machinists can't make tolerances cnc can 😂🤣

Gear101

Wow this conversation just got extremely pathetic.

Do you guys have any idea how they make modern cuses compared to the old ways.

Quite apparently you have no clue