526 consecutive balls

Gear101

Will anyone ever top Willie again, plus he was using old school cue and table? I think I have been in the 80 range a couple of times, but dam even getting over 400....

Last edited:

Gear101

Source Wiki...

Mosconi set the world record by running 526 consecutive balls without a miss during a straight pool exhibition in Springfield, Ohio on March 19–20, 1954.[11] A handwritten and notarized affidavit[12] with the signatures of more than 35 eyewitnesses exists as proof of this feat. The record has been surpassed, with 626 consecutive balls ran by John Schmidt on May 27, 2019, recorded on a videotape.[13] Critics have argued that Mosconi's record was made in competition while Schmidt simply set up break shots for himself, and that his video was never released.[14][15]

Mosconi’s record was set on a 4 × 8 foot Brunswick table with 5 1/4 inch corner pockets at the East High Billiard Club. Schmidt’s run was on a 4 1/2 by 9 foot table which is more difficult in the sense that longer shots are required but which is easier to play on in the sense that there is more room for the balls to spread, creating unfettered shots. Mosconi competed successfully on 4 1/2 × 9 and even 5 x 10 ft tables.

Gear101

Nope, never. Except the guy that beat it by 100 balls 2 years ago and has been the topic of 75 threads here. Venture beyond the NPR section once in a while.
Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Hey try some coffee today.... and light'n up.

Plus I'm almost certain your post goes against board rules. Not to cross the conversation of threads.

Might want to fact check me on that.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will anyone ever top Willie again, plus he was using old school cue and table? I think I have been in the 80 range a couple of times, but dam even getting over 400....
Source Wiki...

Mosconi set the world record by running 526 consecutive balls without a miss during a straight pool exhibition in Springfield, Ohio on March 19–20, 1954.[11] A handwritten and notarized affidavit[12] with the signatures of more than 35 eyewitnesses exists as proof of this feat. The record has been surpassed, with 626 consecutive balls ran by John Schmidt on May 27, 2019, recorded on a videotape.[13] Critics have argued that Mosconi's record was made in competition while Schmidt simply set up break shots for himself, and that his video was never released.[14][15]

Mosconi’s record was set on a 4 × 8 foot Brunswick table with 5 1/4 inch corner pockets at the East High Billiard Club. Schmidt’s run was on a 4 1/2 by 9 foot table which is more difficult in the sense that longer shots are required but which is easier to play on in the sense that there is more room for the balls to spread, creating unfettered shots. Mosconi competed successfully on 4 1/2 × 9 and even 5 x 10 ft tables.
Again...
Did you read the thread.
Perhaps you could be more clear in your question. I appears you already answered it yourself.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, it's likely someone will, again. The universe won't end for a few more billion years, as long as some life forms are still playing pool somewhere, someone will run more than that. In fact, it's a decent chance the new record will also be broken at some point given enough interest in it. "greatest of all time" is not really a thing yet since the 100 years or so we have decent records of billiard games is barely a blink in how long humans have been around or will be.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Hey try some coffee today.... and light'n up.

Plus I'm almost certain your post goes against board rules. Not to cross the conversation of threads.

Might want to fact check me on that.

Check your own facts and I don't mean WIKIPEDIA....and tattle on me all you want.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
"Will anyone ever top Willie again?"

No, never.

Run more balls? Been done.
Win more championships? Been done.

Mention their name to anybody on the planet and have it recognized for both of the above? Not likely, that would be nothing short of magic.

Gear101

No, never.

Mention their name to anybody on the planet and have it recognized for both of the above? Not likely, that would be nothing short of magic.
So your saying no one will ever match thr 526 again....

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somewhere there are symbols scratched into the wall of a cave indicating that Ugluk won the recent
"hit-the-skinny-tree-with-a-rock-from-twenty-paces-away" contest.

And right underneath it, Moogluk scratched-in a drawing of a face with its tongue sticking way out, and symbols saying:

"Ugluk cheated -- he used much bigger rocks"

Tom-toms rounded up witnesses with conflicting versions of what occurred. Blows were struck , followed by internecine warfare that continued for generations.

Arnaldo ~ Speleologist-linguist

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Somewhere there are symbols scratched into the wall of a cave indicating that Ugluk won the recent
"hit-the-skinny-tree-with-a-rock-from-twenty-paces-away" contest.
I suppose now the contest is hit the rock with the skinny tree...

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No, never.

Will anyone ever play 14.1 better then Willie?
Probably not.
He was technically on another level.
I played Willie an exhibition game in 1964 he did most of the playing and I did most of the racking.
You really had to see him in person to fully understand the ease in which he ran racks.
I've been around pool since 1961 primarily in N.J.
I've seen in person most of the great 14.1 players and a lot of them from back then to now have been great.
But nobody played the game like Willie.
Of course I never saw Greenleaf so maybe he did as Willie fine tuned his game studying Ralph.
Will another Willie come along?
Possibly but doubtful.