5x10 vs 9 ftr.......

Doodysquat

Registered
If you had room at your home for a 5x10 would you buy one? I have a detached garage that I am enlarging to 40x22, so I will have the room for a large table. I have played on just one of the monsters and it was a whole new world for me. It had 4 1/2 inch pockets and 760 cloth. The balls looked like marbles on all that green.
Would the 5x10 help or hurt me if I normally play on 9 ftrs? Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.....

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for starting this thread... I have been wondering the same thing myself. Unfortunately, I currently don't have room for either but my vote is for the 5x10. I worked in FL at a pool room where they had one 5x10 that I would practice on,,, for me,, it made transitioning back to the 4x9 seem much easier and I played much better. (not that I have every played "well",other than in my own mind)
My vote is go old school!

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I personally think that playing on a 10-foot will make your 10-foot game better.
Playing on a 9-foot will make your 9-foot game better. I would always try to have a
table at home as close to what I play regularly in league/tournaments on.

For the same reason I do not want an extra tight table at home to practice on.

gr. Dave

neonlight

Registered
9 vs 10

A 9' is still the standard in pool rooms across the USA. I had the same decision many times over the years. Always stayed with a 9'. The "feel" is so important in this game. Knowing intuitively just how hard to stroke a ball to obtain the best positioning is the key to this game. If your going to compete on a 10', then purchase a 10'. If your going to compete on a 9' then purchase a 9'.
I have a top brand 9'. I have learned that a 10% change in the humidity in my billiard room changes both the "feel" and the "roll" and the way the balls break. Going back and forth from a 10' to 9' when playing competitively can be frustrating and affect your confidence.
Tighten up your pockets if you wish to strengthen your accuracy.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you had room at your home for a 5x10 would you buy one? I have a detached garage that I am enlarging to 40x22, so I will have the room for a large table. I have played on just one of the monsters and it was a whole new world for me. It had 4 1/2 inch pockets and 760 cloth. The balls looked like marbles on all that green.
Would the 5x10 help or hurt me if I normally play on 9 ftrs? Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.....

Nope, I'd stick with a 9 footer. If every table around was a 10 footer, then would work. I'm guessing less than .1% of the tables in the country are 10 footers, which makes playing on a 10 footer regularly then going to a 9 or 7 footer a waste.

Of course if you just want a 10 foot table to have one and have fun with, then go get one.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I personally think that playing on a 10-foot will make your 10-foot game better.
Playing on a 9-foot will make your 9-foot game better. I would always try to have a
table at home as close to what I play regularly in league/tournaments on.

For the same reason I do not want an extra tight table at home to practice on.

gr. Dave

This. Playing all the time on a 5x10 will make your 5x10 game better; but your touch with moving the cue ball further for shape, the larger open spaces to play into, etc. will require you to make an adjustment when moving to a 4 1/2x9. Same as moving from a 9 footer to a Bar Box. I would think you'd get a little better at shot making, but I'm not so sure...maybe. When I get my table, it will be a 9 footer, since that's what I normally play on and prefer to play on.

james chong

Banned
maybe the guys are right, 9 footer best choice.
however, "ocassional" play at a 10 footer could possibly tame the 9 little bit.
at one time, brunswick gold crown 1 could always be found in a 10 foot size, abundantly produced.

table shown below is a 4 x 8 brunswick medalist, pretty sure it was deigned by god.

Attachments

• medalist1.jpg
    medalist1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 501

4onthebreak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why stop at at a 10ft?

Why not just get a 12 footer.

Playing on a different sized table won't "hurt" your game if it isn't what you play on EXCLUSIVELY.

That's like saying using different chalk or playing with a different cue or any other variation on playing conditions will ruin your game.

Get the largest table humanly possible. Enjoy the bump to your game with respect to long shots and speed play.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
If I have the room when I get my new place I will be going for a 10-foot for sure.

Practicing on a larger table wont hurt your game on the smaller tables, after a short adjustment period you would be fine and "long" shots on the smaller table wont seem quite so long.

It is a lot harder to go from a small table to a big table then vice versa.

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
I'd rather have the 10 at home....I can play on a 9 footer any time. Finding the 10fts are rare.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you had room at your home for a 5x10 would you buy one? I have a detached garage that I am enlarging to 40x22, so I will have the room for a large table.

If I had a room that large I would install a 9 footer AND a 10 footer. :) Especially at today's prices.

Jay

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I understand the reasons mentioned for going with a 9' table, my experience has been different.

I have almost exclusively played on 9' tables and when I did venture out and play on a BB it was an easy transition and I can play pretty strong on a BB.

Conversely I know a guy who grew up playing on a BB and the transition to a 9' table for him is very difficult.

That being said, I would probably still go with the 9' for my house.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
If I had a room that large I would install a 9 footer AND a 10 footer. :) Especially at today's prices.

Jay

If I had a room large enough, I would have a 9ftr, Bar Box, Snooker, and 3cusion tables. If I could only have two it would be a 9ftr and snooker table.

The wife likes to play snooker but hates pool, go figure :banghead:

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Open the pockets up a bit and throw 860 on it or you'll end up hating it if you keep it. Tighter pockets and 760 sounds like torture to me.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I have a 10' - 4 1/8" pockets 760 simonis and going to the 9' is no problem! It actually makes the 9' seem like a bar box.
My vote is 10'
GL
Jason

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I would stay away from the 10-footers.
You have to think long-term, Doodysquat.

Some areas of the country are focusing on 7-footers anyways.
Nine-footers and even oversized 8-footers are ideal for practice.
(Remember it's a quicker adjustment from a 9-footer to a 7-footer than the other way around)

I personally feel the 10-footers will go away completely.
The idea is to make things less, not more, difficult when it comes to skill games.

Look at golf: they are experimenting with larger cups (holes) in order to entice younger players to the game (previous thread).
I figure in about 10 years-time, most tourneys, even professional ones, will be primarily on 7-footers.
I feel it's inevitable—for better or worse, people. :sorry:

The interesting thing about this is that more players will be able to compete longer in terms of their age.
Smaller tables are conducive to easier shot-making, especially when those eyes start to get a bit older. :)

Last edited:

buzzmc

Balance
Silver Member
I think the answer is highly dependent on what you want to get out of having a table at home in the first place.

If you're always in money games and tournaments and you're practicing I think it's only logical to have the same type of equipment at home that you're likely play on for any sort of money.

For me, I don't gamble, and I love the opportunity to play on a 10' table... If one's in the room I always choose it.

But I don't think there's any denying that your shape will improve if you're practicing on the same equipment you're going to be playing on most of the time. If this wasn't true and people had the room, you'd see snooker tables at home for practice. I mean really, after pocketing some long shots on a snooker table any ball in the middle of a 9'r is damn near in the jaws. Good luck on getting any feel for shape though.