7 foot diamond ruining my game

PracticeChampion

I have 9' GCI with tight 4 1/2" pockets at home but play league and all tournaments on barboxes, not by choice. I don't feel there is a big difference between the two and I would be hard pressed to say practicing on my 9' table helped me at all, if it did I would say its psychological.
Like I said it was shots with length hurt me, even on the barbox and the 8' helped alot in that department when going down to a 7' 🤷🏻‍♂️

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I have 9' GCI with tight 4 1/2" pockets at home but play league and all tournaments on barboxes, not by choice. I don't feel there is a big difference between the two and I would be hard pressed to say practicing on my 9' table helped me at all, if it did I would say its psychological.

agree 100 percent

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I’m going to state the obvious

At least you have a couple boxes to play with 🤣😂, could be MUCH worse.

respectfully
Fatboy😁
Seems like everyone complains about barboxes, I have absolutely no problem with them. When I say barbox I am mainly talking about 7' Diamonds, for reasons I cant explain the Valley's seem to break worse but play easier. The Diamond is slightly bigger, 40" x 80" vs 38" x 76" but I think the real difference is the pocket shelf, Valley's have very short shelf compared to a Diamond. Most Valley's have a pretty tight pocket, without an actual ruler I would guess they are about 4 5/8", 2 balls will just make it thru a pocket opening but they wont both fit thru on a Diamond. I cant say they are too easy until I am running every rack and that wont be happening anytime soon. I play 8 ball more than anything else, its the game of choice in this neck of the woods. I would say that I get more break and runs in 8 ball on my 9' table than I do on barboxes.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like everyone complains about barboxes, I have absolutely no problem with them. When I say barbox I am mainly talking about 7' Diamonds, for reasons I cant explain the Valley's seem to break worse but play easier. The Diamond is slightly bigger, 40" x 80" vs 38" x 76" but I think the real difference is the pocket shelf, Valley's have very short shelf compared to a Diamond. Most Valley's have a pretty tight pocket, without an actual ruler I would guess they are about 4 5/8", 2 balls will just make it thru a pocket opening but they wont both fit thru on a Diamond. I cant say they are too easy until I am running every rack and that wont be happening anytime soon. I play 8 ball more than anything else, its the game of choice in this neck of the woods. I would say that I get more break and runs in 8 ball on my 9' table than I do on barboxes.
Yes less traffic is why you’ll get more BnR on a big box as long as your break is working. It can get tedious in the woods on the small box. I prefer the big box, however barbox pool is still fun.

I saw Corey break and run a honest 10 pack one night, 11 total. 10 from his break on a 7’ Diamond in Deluth one night in a tourney. He was in the weeds a few times and managed it. Super strong, sadly it wasn’t recorded.

Best
Fatboy

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I should send you pics of how a GC3 f-up my new cue🤬
Side note, The Diamond bar box is the best bar box ever made.
So far Diamond is the best barbox. B-Wick has a new one coming out soon. I’ve seen pics, pretty sexy looking table. Anything’s better than Valley…….

Reactions: KRJ

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s embarrassing but my wife said she would start playing if we had a bar box. Of course she still never plays.
Humm, sounds familiar! My wife doesn’t have a clue either. I’ve never understood the fascination with bar box tables, unless you just don’t have room for a 9 foot table.

Nyquil

I would say it would be very hard to part with my 9. The game just plays as it should. Good news you can sell that 7ft diamond for a decent amount and get a 9ft'er of your choosing.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I miss my GC3. The diamond bar box is nice for out at the bar, but for good play and good practice, this table is nowhere near the quality of my old GC3.
That's easy, add on a "sports cave" connected by breeeway to your home. Bar, TV's, stereo, bar box, GC3, 10' Diamond, shuffleboard, and a couple of those floor to ceiling brass firepoles!

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For smaller tables, no doubt that Diamond makes a great table.
But for overall play, a bigger table is tougher. If you doubt that,
despite contrary opinions posted, go play on a 10ft. pool table.

A 9 ft. pool table is 2’ longer and a 1’ wider than a 7 ft. pool table.
So playing on a 10 ft. pool table vs. 9 ft. Involves 1’ longer & 1/2 ‘
wider. So the dimensions are extended less than with a 9’ vs. 7’.

Since the added length & width are less severe of a difference than
with a 9’ vs. 7’, a 10 ft. table shouldn’t be that more difficult vs. a
9 ft. table. Well, anyone telling you that hasn’t played much on a
10 ft. pool table with tight pockets or else their game was already
mediocre so they generally struggle on a 10 ft. table just like a 9 ft.

I suppose the toughest test really is playing snooker on a 6 ft x 12 ft.
The pockets are tougher, the table is the longest and with smaller balls.
Heck, playing snooker on a 10 ft. table seems already difficult enough.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Yes less traffic is why you’ll get more BnR on a big box as long as your break is working. It can get tedious in the woods on the small box. I prefer the big box, however barbox pool is still fun.

I saw Corey break and run a honest 10 pack one night, 11 total. 10 from his break on a 7’ Diamond in Deluth one night in a tourney. He was in the weeds a few times and managed it. Super strong, sadly it wasn’t recorded.

Best
Fatboy
Somehow Corey can get out of the ugliest racks. I don't if that's why he chooses to break second ball or if its because he breaks second ball so often. Its like which came first, the chicken or the egg. :)