7 foot diamond ruining my game

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The progression to tighter deeper pockets seems to correlate with the reduced popularity of pool.

I speculate we would see the same for basketball if the hoop kept getting higher and smaller as the decades pass.

While some want the continued challenge of tougher and tougher equipment, most people that play just want to have fun and enjoy the social interaction. Those are the people necessary to "grow pool" as so many here want to see.
I myself prefer four and a half inch pocket... But you are correct. Most people just can't play on them. I think the op would have been much happier with the table if you would have got the League Cup pockets.

But it's not too late. Maybe he can work out a trade with someone. Someone that wants his Pro Cut rails for League cut ones? I'm sure there's somebody out there. That would be a good question for one of the table mechanics on here.... As to what issues he would have making the swap.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The progression to tighter deeper pockets seems to correlate with the reduced popularity of pool.

I speculate we would see the same for basketball if the hoop kept getting higher and smaller as the decades pass.

While some want the continued challenge of tougher and tougher equipment, most people that play just want to have fun and enjoy the social interaction. Those are the people necessary to "grow pool" as so many here want to see.
Ah I don’t think that has contributed to the decline. The home tables are still offered in soup bucket size pockets for those that just want fun and social interaction. IMHO the decline in pool is just from the fact that there are so many other hobbies/interest to pursue these days than what there was when I was growing up.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah I don’t think that has contributed to the decline. The home tables are still offered in soup bucket size pockets for those that just want fun and social interaction. IMHO the decline in pool is just from the fact that there are so many other hobbies/interest to pursue these days than what there was when I was growing up.
It all goes back to the instant gratification thing. You will not get that playing pool.

Cuedup

Home tables are for people that already enjoy pool. Those 4 inch pockets with deep shelves are for home tables, not rentals.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Smaller table and the way it plays are what I mean. The deal shelves make the corner pockets reject some shots that should go. I just don’t feel like I can let my stroke out. With the diamond, everything is about shooting really soft. It works for if you only play on diamonds but doesn’t translate well to any other tables.
If corner shots on a Diamond are rejected its usually because you clipped a rail on the way to the pocket, they definitely don't play like a Valley where you can touch the rail a diamond away from the pocket and still have it fall. When you hit the shot stiff you usually cant see the fact that you kissed a rail, all you see is that the ball rattled. That's just the way a 4 1/2" pocket plays, my GCI has modified rails (Diamondizing is the term some use) and pockets, if I clip the rail on the way in it probably will rattle instead of fall. You don't have to hit everything soft on a Diamond, just accurately, hit the cue ball as hard as you need to to get shape (which is what most do I assume), if you're accurate the shot goes.

Nyquil

I find on my diamond that you can shoot hard but if your off center it's going to rattle out of the pocket. I would not want a 7ft table though either way. Going from a 9 to 7 when you have the room is unfortunate. I do see a benefit though I suppose if your in league and all the tables in your league are mostly 7's you are playing on the same size table and getting used to breaking clusters of balls out on a frequent basis etc.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know how to tell you this, and you probably won't like it, but Diamond tables are The New Normal.

God! I hated that phrase when it first came out, and I hate it even more hearing myself say it.

Just out of curiosity, does your table have the Pro Cut pockets? Or the league cut pockets?
People have been playing on shit bar boxes and GC’s they don’t know what to do with a good table😎

realkingcobra

Silver Member
For smaller tables, no doubt that Diamond makes a great table.
But for overall play, a bigger table is tougher. If you doubt that,
despite contrary opinions posted, go play on a 10ft. pool table.

A 9 ft. pool table is 2’ longer and a 1’ wider than a 7 ft. pool table.
So playing on a 10 ft. pool table vs. 9 ft. Involves 1’ longer & 1/2 ‘
wider. So the dimensions are extended less than with a 9’ vs. 7’.

Since the added length & width are less severe of a difference than
with a 9’ vs. 7’, a 10 ft. table shouldn’t be that more difficult vs. a
9 ft. table. Well, anyone telling you that hasn’t played much on a
10 ft. pool table with tight pockets or else their game was already
mediocre so they generally struggle on a 10 ft. table just like a 9 ft.

I suppose the toughest test really is playing snooker on a 6 ft x 12 ft.
The pockets are tougher, the table is the longest and with smaller balls.
Heck, playing snooker on a 10 ft. table seems already difficult enough.
Sorry, but a 9ft is 50"×100", a 7ft Diamond is 40"×80"!

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have a Fargo rating, just curious😉
503. I’m by no means a great player or pro, but I’ve gone downhill since switching from the GC to the diamond.

I appreciate the way diamond sponsors so much for the industry, but unless you only play on diamonds, I feel like the difference from diamonds and all other tables hurts your game.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
503. I’m by no means a great player or pro, but I’ve gone downhill since switching from the GC to the diamond.

I appreciate the way diamond sponsors so much for the industry, but unless you only play on diamonds, I feel like the difference from diamonds and all other tables hurts your game.
Had you played on a Diamond before you purchased yours? I agree with you they play completely differently than anything else out there, especially the reaction off of the rails. Did you know what you were getting yourself into?

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had you played on a Diamond before you purchased yours? I agree with you they play completely differently than anything else out there, especially the reaction off of the rails. Did you know what you were getting yourself into?
Yes I had played on the several times but not regularly.

JC

Coos Cues
I had a pretty spectacular GC3 for a decade. Got rid of it for a diamond 9' and never looked back. Pool tables should not have anything on them that will fuck up your cue. Valleys and GCs do not pass this test.

JC

Coos Cues
If corner shots on a Diamond are rejected its usually because you clipped a rail on the way to the pocket, they definitely don't play like a Valley where you can touch the rail a diamond away from the pocket and still have it fall. When you hit the shot stiff you usually cant see the fact that you kissed a rail, all you see is that the ball rattled. That's just the way a 4 1/2" pocket plays, my GCI has modified rails (Diamondizing is the term some use) and pockets, if I clip the rail on the way in it probably will rattle instead of fall. You don't have to hit everything soft on a Diamond, just accurately, hit the cue ball as hard as you need to to get shape (which is what most do I assume), if you're accurate the shot goes.
Yup, learn to aim and the rattle will magically disappear from your life.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a pretty spectacular GC3 for a decade. Got rid of it for a diamond 9' and never looked back. Pool tables should not have anything on them that will fuck up your cue. Valleys and GCs do not pass this test.
Yep, I'm crying over my F'd up cue now.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didnt the fours fives and sixes take care of that problem?

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bar box has ruined pool in America. What's so surprising that it also ruined your game. Just claimed another victim.