7 foot diamond ruining my game

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I like the 2nd ball break too. My break power is weak as a kitten so I use it for more action on the balls.
I dont have a huge break either (low, low 20's on radar) but its just good enough that I can usually make straight up the middle work. The important thing to me is landing CB center table. Just way too much congestion with 2nd ball breaks, so many times every ball ends up on one side of the table.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont have a huge break either (low, low 20's on radar) but its just good enough that I can usually make straight up the middle work. The important thing to me is landing CB center table. Just way too much congestion with 2nd ball breaks, so many times every ball ends up on one side of the table.
17 is all I can get, pitiful. My 1P break is good. But Anthony else is horrible. Always has been :(

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude it has nothing to do with the diamond And everything to do with the size.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 pages of posts, but OP still hasn't told us how a Diamond ruined his game. Just remorse for getting rid of his Gold Crown. Which I do agree with by the way. I really see no reason to get rid of good gold crown for a diamond. But that's not the title of his post. Maybe the title should read," my wife made me do it".

Last edited:

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 pages of posts, but OP still hasn't told us how a Diamond ruined his game. Just remorse for getting rid of his Gold Crown. Which I do agree with by the way. I really see no reason to get rid of good gold crown for a diamond. But that's not the title of his post. Maybe the title should read," my wife made me do it".
Smaller table and the way it plays are what I mean. The deal shelves make the corner pockets reject some shots that should go. I just don’t feel like I can let my stroke out. With the diamond, everything is about shooting really soft. It works for if you only play on diamonds but doesn’t translate well to any other tables.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smaller table and the way it plays are what I mean. The deal shelves make the corner pockets reject some shots that should go. I just don’t feel like I can let my stroke out. With the diamond, everything is about shooting really soft. It works for if you only play on diamonds but doesn’t translate well to any other tables.
Very very true. Don't get me wrong... I wish I had a 9 foot table. But I just don't have the room for it.

But maybe the deep shelves are not the problem. Refine your shot making to make balls go Center pocket? For shots going down the rail, add a little side spin so the ball spins into the pocket.

Just because a table plays a little more difficult, doesn't make it a bad table. Just not one to your liking.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very very true. Don't get me wrong... I wish I had a 9 foot table. But I just don't have the room for it.

But maybe the deep shelves are not the problem. Refine your shot making to make balls go Center pocket? For shots going down the rail, add a little side spin so the ball spins into the pocket.

Just because a table plays a little more difficult, doesn't make it a bad table. Just not one to your liking.
I have and can adjust to those type of shots, but my point is I shouldn’t have to. Those shots go, playing off the long rail on a normal pool table.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have and can adjust to those type of shots, but my point is I shouldn’t have to. Those shots go, playing off the long rail on a normal pool table.
I don't know how to tell you this, and you probably won't like it, but Diamond tables are The New Normal.

God! I hated that phrase when it first came out, and I hate it even more hearing myself say it.

Just out of curiosity, does your table have the Pro Cut pockets? Or the league cut pockets?

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know how to tell you this, and you probably won't like it, but Diamond tables are The New Normal.

God! I hated that phrase when it first came out, and I hate it even more hearing myself say it.

Just out of curiosity, does your table have the Pro Cut pockets? Or the league cut pockets?
Pro cut

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the Pro Cut pockets are very unforgiving. I haven't played on a 7-foot diamond yet. But the 9-foot professional I played on with Pro Cut Pockets was a tough table to play on. But I enjoyed my experience on it.

If I had a gold crown of any model, would I trade it for a diamond? I doubt it. But I think I would be very proud to own either one.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You are exactly right! Tighter, deeper pockets are just the natural progression. The game evolves, just like most everything else. I would imagine the players returning home after WWII to play on those new Centennials and Anniversaries with the much tighter pockets were also adjusting to change. Those old pre WWII T-rail tables had soup buckets for pockets compared to post war Brunswick commercials.

Cuedup

The progression to tighter deeper pockets seems to correlate with the reduced popularity of pool.

I speculate we would see the same for basketball if the hoop kept getting higher and smaller as the decades pass.

While some want the continued challenge of tougher and tougher equipment, most people that play just want to have fun and enjoy the social interaction. Those are the people necessary to "grow pool" as so many here want to see.