9-Ball Ring Game Rules

Bren

While the rules for 9-ball ring games no doubt vary somewhat from pool hall to pool hall, I have a couple of basic rule questions that came up during a ring game I was playing in a few nights ago.

Question #1
In a 9/5 ring game, when both the 9-ball and 5-ball are equally valued, if the breaking player pockets the 9-ball on the break, does 9-ball stay pocketed or it pulled and spotted?

Question #2
Again, if the breaking player pockets the 9-ball on the break, does the game end or is it continued until one of the player pockets the 5-ball?

I’ve got $100 bet riding on your answers, so please respond. Thanks guys! - Bren

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ring game rules

The 9 ball stays down on the break and everyone pays the breaker, the game goes on until the 5 ball is made and the player that makes the 5 ball gets paid and the game ends.

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like alot of fun. Does anyone know where I can get an outline on running a ring game?

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Nope the 9 ball gets spotted and the break gets paid for it.

I always played if the one ball is still on the table the 5 and 9 get spotted if they are made. Once the one is down the 5 stays down and after making the 5 the 9 ball cannot be respotted and the game will end if made early. I once saw one game where a player made the 5 ball twice with the 1 ball still on the table. All counted and where spotted. Then he made the 9 ball 3 times while the 5 ball was still on the table so they all got spotted. Then he pockets the 5 out to close the rack. the 5 was worth 2 and the 9 was worth 4 in this game. It was a 4 handed game so he net for the one game was 22 from each player. 22 x 3= $66!!!!!! :yikes: Yeah he cleaned up :lol:

Here are the rules I learned but they're all different everywhere you go.

All balls made on a foul are spotted and the cueball remains where it is unless it is pocketed. If the cueball is pocketed all balls made are spotted (in numerical order) on the headstring and the incoming player has ball in hand behind the head string. The incoming player has the option of a pushout if he doenst like the shot.

BIH: only in the kitchen after pocketing the cueball.

Bad Hits: Since there are no safeties allowed (unless its a liability game) you must go for the hit on the lowest number ball. If the player makes a bad hit or misses the object ball it is a foul. The incoming player has the option of excepting the table as is or they can pass the table back to the original shooter until they make a good hit. Just like a push out.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
While the rules for 9-ball ring games no doubt vary somewhat from pool hall to pool hall, I have a couple of basic rule questions that came up during a ring game I was playing in a few nights ago.

Question #1
In a 9/5 ring game, when both the 9-ball and 5-ball are equally valued, if the breaking player pockets the 9-ball on the break, does 9-ball stay pocketed or it pulled and spotted?

Question #2
Again, if the breaking player pockets the 9-ball on the break, does the game end or is it continued until one of the player pockets the 5-ball?

I’ve got $100 bet riding on your answers, so please respond. Thanks guys! - Bren

These rules, like any match, should be created before starting. To eliminate conflict say that if something comes up during play unexpectedly, then we'll flip a coin, and then after that rack players get together and choose a permanent rule. This is being totally fair. Even if you win the flip and gain the advantage as the shooter or non shooter for one rack, you can then change the rule to your liking.
Generally but not always, if your playing 5/9 nine ball ring game, money balls respot, shooter gets paid, but, you could say if the 9 goes down, rerack, and if only the 5 goes down play continues. The money ball respot rule usually gives the advantage to the best player of the group in the Long Run.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope the 9 ball gets spotted and the break gets paid for it.

I always played if the one ball is still on the table the 5 and 9 get spotted if they are made. Once the one is down the 5 stays down and after making the 5 the 9 ball cannot be respotted and the game will end if made early. I once saw one game where a player made the 5 ball twice with the 1 ball still on the table. All counted and where spotted. Then he made the 9 ball 3 times while the 5 ball was still on the table so they all got spotted. Then he pockets the 5 out to close the rack. the 5 was worth 2 and the 9 was worth 4 in this game. It was a 4 handed game so he net for the one game was 22 from each player. 22 x 3= $66!!!!!! :yikes: Yeah he cleaned up :lol:

Here are the rules I learned but they're all different everywhere you go.

All balls made on a foul are spotted and the cueball remains where it is unless it is pocketed. If the cueball is pocketed all balls made are spotted (in numerical order) on the headstring and the incoming player has ball in hand behind the head string. The incoming player has the option of a pushout if he doenst like the shot.

BIH: only in the kitchen after pocketing the cueball.

Bad Hits: Since there are no safeties allowed (unless its a liability game) you must go for the hit on the lowest number ball. If the player makes a bad hit or misses the object ball it is a foul. The incoming player has the option of excepting the table as is or they can pass the table back to the original shooter until they make a good hit. Just like a push out.

This is pretty much as I remember, except for the passing on the shot. We never played that way but I think the rules have changed since I played a lot of ring 9 ball. Not having any recourse on a foul was the main reason I didn't play well in ring games. I remember a guy, now dead, from Endicott, NY whose best game by far, was ring games.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Jerry Fields or that guy Al ;)

btw that game I mentioned was played at Triangle. I think it was Jerry Fields.

Made the 5 on the break and then the 1 ball is a lined up dead combo on the five when it got spotted. He made the combo and caromed the 9 ball in. Then he got another combo on the 9 with the 4 ball. Then ran the balls out. He was laughing the whole time and the guys he was playing were PISSEDDDDDD!!!!! :lol::lol:

Lucky SOB :angry:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry Fields or that guy Al ;)

btw that game I mentioned was played at Triangle. I think it was Jerry Fields.

Made the 5 on the break and then the 1 ball is a lined up dead combo on the five when it got spotted. He made the combo and caromed the 9 ball in. Then he got another combo on the 9 with the 4 ball. Then ran the balls out. He was laughing the whole time and the guys he was playing were PISSEDDDDDD!!!!! :lol::lol:

Lucky SOB :angry:

Nope, not Jerry Fiehls and not Al. Augie Mangini is who I was referring to. We saw Bugsy in March, Al wasn't around. Andy Price is dead, too, by the way, and Bob Brundage.

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These rules, like any match, should be created before starting. To eliminate conflict say that if something comes up during play unexpectedly, then we'll flip a coin, and then after that rack players get together and choose a permanent rule. This is being totally fair. Even if you win the flip and gain the advantage as the shooter or non shooter for one rack, you can then change the rule to your liking.
Generally but not always, if your playing 5/9 nine ball ring game, money balls respot, shooter gets paid, but, you could say if the 9 goes down, rerack, and if only the 5 goes down play continues. The money ball respot rule usually gives the advantage to the best player of the group in the Long Run.

I agree, there are no hard and fast rules for these things. 99% of the time if there is a rule discrpency, you aint getting paid -- it is always good to be very clear.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Nope, not Jerry Fiehls and not Al. Augie Mangini is who I was referring to. We saw Bugsy in March, Al wasn't around. Andy Price is dead, too, by the way, and Bob Brundage.

RIP Augie :frown: He left us way too early :(

Dont trust that guy John btw. He's a crook :angry:

Donkey Puncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We usually play 10 ball.
money on 5 and 10 of course
10 ball pocketed early spots back up until the 5 is pocketed.
when the 5 ball is pocketed, it stays down
if a player scratches (with the cue ball being pocketed) the incoming player has option, and if the next object ball is in the kitchen it spots up. Same if object ball is pocketed whilst scratching the cue ball.

there is no early 5 ball, can be infinite 10 balls though

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A variation I remember, in Binghamton we always racked the 5 behind the one. Down the road in Endicott they always racked the 5 in the very back of the rack. I remember seeing the 5 bank on the break and was told that was why we didn't rack it in the back.

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ring Game Rules

We usually play "one before the five" and "two before the nine". Meaning that if there is still one ball on the table before the five ball it continues to spot and two balls before the nine.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We usually play "one before the five" and "two before the nine". Meaning that if there is still one ball on the table before the five ball it continues to spot and two balls before the nine.
That's how I played with 5+9. Here's an article about some other details of ring nine ball:http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2010.pdf -- see the last two pages. The article is mostly aimed at people who have not seen ring games before.

Last edited:

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ring game rules

Rules I play by:
-If more than three people play the ten balls are used-increases odds of more people getting a shot
-When 5 and 10 are money balls and the 10 is made before the 5 that game is over but next game the 5 ball pot will pay double next game.
-All balls made on a foul are respotted. If the foul results in a scratch incoming player gets BIH behind head string. If incoming player gives the shot back and the shooter makes a money ball the person giving the shot back has to pay each players fee(s) in the next game. Keeps a stronger player from always giving the shot back to what may be a weaker player. Also helps avoid collusion between two players.
-Of course, it is made clear that all shots must be offensive shots and no safe play.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
We usually play 3-6-9 for money balls, with the 3 and the 6 racked behind the 1. 3 or 6 pocketed out of order (via combo) spotted, they stay down when made in order. Re-rack after the 9. Sometimes the 9 is worth 2, other times not, depending on the players involved, and the race length.