9Ball Hardest Break- Simonis

8balltex

Banned
Who do you think Breaks the Hardest in the world?? Jeff Deluna or Wu Jia-Qing or do you think some other guys hit hard at all?? I want to hear what people really think here on this message board, I wonder how much do you really know about Simonis Felt.. Do you think a guy like Brandon Shuff hits hard??? HA HA I dont..

Snuden

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You lost me there, what was the question again?

Who do you think Breaks the Hardest in the world??
Jeff Deluna or Wu Jia-Qing or do you think some other guys hit hard at all??
Do you think a guy like Brandon Shuff hits hard???

He also wonders how much we know about Simonis felt.

:eek:

Jake Popiano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DeLuna is a hard one to top-as far as the other guy you mentioned Ive never seen him break so IDK, there is only a couple guys that come to mind when you're talking about "the hardest break", IMO consistency is a big part of this topic,guys like Larry Nevel and Charlie Bryant have the ability to break "harder/faster" than just about anyone.

That brings up another topic for debate.
Is breaking hard the same as breaking fast or does one have a distinct advantage over the other? Or are they the same thing only worded or interpreted different depending on who is asked?

IMO, they are one in the same but regardless how fast you swing the cue stick during the break-none of it will matter if one of three things isnt executed correctly.

First you have to have a dead level stroke. If you are jacked up even slightly, then when you strike the CB it will travel through the air off the table and when it hits the head ball.

Second- if you do not strike the CB dead center- or at least within one tip high/low on the CB it will not go where you are aiming -mostly due to deflection and or squirt. This also may happen due to a not so perfect stroke. Obviously hitting the CB to the left/right of center will have bad results if you are aiming to hit the head ball with no english.

Third-you have to have the CB hit the head ball as full as possible. This will allow for the most energy to be transferred to the rack. The more you miss your mark the more energy that will be wasted.

Anyone who can do all three of those things with any consistency -at full power - or with controllable power breaks the balls good.

IMO-it doesnt matter how hard/fast you break the balls if you loose control of the CB. Yes- to get the most out of the break you have to execute several things at once-and that can be difficult but pocket billiards is a difficult game and the break might be and IMO is the hardest, most underestimated shot of the game and at the same time the most important shot of the game.

The break separates alot of players

"a wise man learns from his own mistakes-an intelligent man learns from his own mistakes&also learns from others mistakes"--Bill Schick,

"Dont let the truth get in the way of a good story"- Nucky Thompson

8balltex

Banned
Hardest Break means hitting the rack the hardest with the cue ball, with the most pressure on contact.. Nevel and Bryant do not hit harder than Deluna they do not break harder than guys like Van Corteza or Wu Jia Qing, Even the Kaiser Ralf Souqet breaks very very very very hard much harder than Bryant. Nevel is alright he hits hard but not the hardest, guys like Nevel and Bryant arent even good enough to break during a major tournament, so who the hell are they anyway??? nobody. Deluna really actually breaks that hard during Real tournament play, Ralf Souquet will break hard if he has to and believe me he breaks very very hard, you think it takes a big fat guy with big arms to break hard but not really, it takes a hard ass world Champion like Ralf Souquet, somebody that actually bullies anybody anytime anywhere all around the world to hit extra extra hard, everybody else is always working on their game trying to get to that level..ESPECIALLY on the Simonis Cloth, it is very tough to break on especially if you sit down on your ass and watch the other guy break again and again like you would have to if you played a Champion like Souquet or Wu Jia Qing or Van Corteza..

8balltex

Banned
Nevel

Hey you mentioned that guy LARRY NEVEL, that guy is a great hustler dont you think, HOW MANY TIMES has he won the southeastern Tour championships or whatever that tour is he plays every year? all I know I have seen his name again and again here on Azbilliards throughout the years, he is a great Hustler... Any top pros that play in his part of the country they lose, thats just the way it is maybe he doesnt like going far away from home...

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Of the current players the person who can break the hardest is Charly Bryant, it is not really close either.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Of the current players the person who can break the hardest is Charly Bryant, it is not really close either.

Mike Dechaine is hitting them harder than Charlie by a good bit, I believe.

apped and confirmed at either 36 or 37 mph. :thumbup::eek:

has anyone of the guys mentioned so far in this thread gone higher?

best,
brian kc

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Jeff Deluna and Mike Dechaine are, to my knowledge, the only players ever clocked at 38 mph on the radar.

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff Deluna and Mike Dechaine are, to my knowledge, the only players ever clocked at 38 mph on the radar.

That really doesnt mean much, I did it once. How many time have they been clocked at that speed? Can they do it consistently? All I know is I clocked MD in SBE a couple of times in a row to see if he can increase his record and he did consistent 23 and 24. Not bad, but he was not breaking in tournement he was really trying.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
a lil off topic since i dont know his name, but when hollywood billiards was open down here in south florida they had a great weekly tournament on tues nights. One night I was in there and there was this middle aged guy that had an unbelievably hard break. Like world pro level smash em up nineball break. He took a good while to line up and his timing and mechanics on the break were outstanding. It was one of those breaks where he pulled all the way back so that the very tip of his cue actually pulled back through his bridge hand and he had this tremendous crack the whip type follow through.

Anyways, the aftermath of this incredible break was the guy played pretty bad actually.

It seems like in the last 5 years there has been less and less hard breaking from the pros and its all about cut breaking, magic rack soft breaking, playing for the wing ball and such. Gone are the good ol days of watching Wade Crane put the cueball in the center and just wallop the crap out of the rack.

I think if you are talking about best hard break nineball you have to also put SVBs name in there. I remember watching him hardbreak on the barbox and the cueball would bounce back and nearly hit the end rail where he was breaking from.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Dechaine beaks harder than any of the guys you mentioned. Often times people that post things like this have a few favorite players they thing are the best at everything but really are not once you look at EVERYONE. Many players LOOK like they are breaking 100mph but end up slower than you think.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I prefer Simonis 860 (or comparable other brands) to slower cloth because I'm not a "muscle" player. My stroke isn't good enough to hit the ball as hard as necessary on slow cloth and maintain accuracy.

Fastest breaker? Never thought about it since it's not a deciding factor. Combination of speed and accuracy had to be Bustamante in his prime.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I know is I clocked MD in SBE a couple of times in a row to see if he can increase his record and he did consistent 23 and 24. Not bad, but he was not breaking in tournement he was really trying.

That is really interesting to me. I have never considered myself to be a hard breaker, but I can get into the low to mid 20's on a bad day. I know there is a huge timing element to it, though, and sometimes it just isn't there. I got up into the low 30's at one point, and I never really figured out what I was doing differently at that time. One day it was there and a few weeks later it was gone. :confused: Maybe Mike had a moment where the timing left him, because I was under the impression that he could hit low to mid 30's on a bad day.

Aaron

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Dechaine is hitting them harder than Charlie by a good bit, I believe.

apped and confirmed at either 36 or 37 mph. :thumbup::eek:

has anyone of the guys mentioned so far in this thread gone higher?

best,
brian kc

He's hitting them harder than Charlie hits them now. But not harder than Charlie in the 90's. Not close. When Charlie learned that a harder hit cue ball doesn't translate to a more powerful break, his game jumped multiple levels.

The hardest break cannot be measured by only cue ball speed. The cb that hits the spot ball squarely and landing on the table bed simultaneously to contact, will transfer the most power to the rack. At some point the harder hit cb sails w/out landing on the table bed and hits the spot ball high or cuts it transferring less power to the rack.

The most powerful break is the one that transfers most power from the cue ball to the rack.

Respect, Courage, and Commitment!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey you mentioned that guy LARRY NEVEL, that guy is a great hustler dont you think, HOW MANY TIMES has he won the southeastern Tour championships or whatever that tour is he plays every year? all I know I have seen his name again and again here on Azbilliards throughout the years, he is a great Hustler... Any top pros that play in his part of the country they lose, thats just the way it is maybe he doesnt like going far away from home...

One time Nevel was on the TV table at the open. Cardone is talking him up as 'the most powerful stroke in pool". Sardo was there with the radar gun so Larry was going all out. He looked like he was hitting them real hard but he never went over 25.0 MPH.

Earl is up next on the table and his first break was 26+. It didnt look like it was harder than Nevel but apparenlty it was-Go figure

Last edited: