a blurry one pocket rule that cost me money.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The first line on OnePocket.org says Unless clearly contradicted below, general pocket billiards rules of play and etiquette apply to One Pocket, and complete General Rules are available from the World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA).

Below is from WPA http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_regulations#20

20. Cue ball fouls only
If there is no referee presiding over a match, it may be played using cue ball fouls only. That is, touching or moving any ball other than the cue ball would not be a foul unless it changes the outcome of the shot by either touching another ball or having any ball, including the cue ball, going through the area originally occupied by the moved ball. If this does not happen, then the opposing player must be given the option of either leaving the ball where it lies or replacing the ball as near as possible to its original position to the agreement of both players. If a player shoots without giving his opponent the option to replace, it will be a foul resulting in cue ball in hand for the opponent.

This one is good enough for me.
And if something happens that isn't covered by the rules....
..there is the concept of 'common law' and 'common sense'.

I feel anything that affects the RUN of the balls has to be a foul.

John Daminato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first line on OnePocket.org says Unless clearly contradicted below, general pocket billiards rules of play and etiquette apply to One Pocket, and complete General Rules are available from the World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA).

20. Cue ball fouls only
If there is no referee presiding over a match, it may be played using cue ball fouls only. That is, touching or moving any ball other than the cue ball would not be a foul unless it changes the outcome of the shot by either touching another ball or having any ball, including the cue ball, going through the area originally occupied by the moved ball. If this does not happen, then the opposing player must be given the option of either leaving the ball where it lies or replacing the ball as near as possible to its original position to the agreement of both players. If a player shoots without giving his opponent the option to replace, it will be a foul resulting in cue ball in hand for the opponent.

Ahhh this is what I have been looking for and with this regulation I can rest now knowing somewhere it is written and if it comes up again I can reference it as a deal decider. Its a regulation and not a rule tho. Slightly different but good enough. Thanks John, this is what I needed, a non opinionated regulation. thanks to all who also contributed. I believe this thread can probably end here. Unless there is way to argue this regulation but I prefer to play this way anyway. :cool:

Rules vs Regulations:
One of the main differences between rules and regulations is that by rules you restrict and by regulations you control certain procedures.
In short it can be said that rules are quite often associated with games or sports. They describe how a particular game or a sport should be played. Another way of differentiating regulations from rules is that regulations are a set of standards that must be followed at any cost. These standards will not change.

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
Touchy situation for sure. The way I've always played and seen played is that this would in fact be a foul. Only because the cue ball made its way back down and struck the balls that you had accidentally bumped. If no balls involved in your shot had hit those bumped balls, you would have been ok, and your opponent would have the option to move the bumped balls back to their original position, or leave them as they are.

In regards to where this is a written rule, I haven't a clue :)

SORRY...I WAS TYPING THIS REPLY AT WHILE YOU POSTED THAT THE DISCUSSION IS OVER... MY APOLOGIES TO OP

Last edited:

John Daminato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Touchy situation for sure. The way I've always played and seen played is that this would in fact be a foul. Only because the cue ball made its way back down and struck the balls that you had accidentally bumped. If no balls involved in your shot had hit those bumped balls, you would have been ok, and your opponent would have the option to move the bumped balls back to their original position, or leave them as they are.

In regards to where this is a written rule, I haven't a clue :)

SORRY...I WAS TYPING THIS REPLY AT WHILE YOU POSTED THAT THE DISCUSSION IS OVER... MY APOLOGIES TO OP

No worries. What makes it confusing is The "rule" itself kinda contradicts the regulation. The rule should be updated or worded in a way that this will never be a fuzzy subject. Maybe onepocket.org will elect to add more details to that rule.

To me one of the worst things you can hear when your losing a bet is "this is how we play here or how everyone plays or how "I" have always played" :sorry:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No worries. What makes it confusing is The "rule" itself kinda contradicts the regulation. The rule should be updated or worded in a way that this will never be a fuzzy subject. Maybe onepocket.org will elect to add more details to that rule.

To me one of the worst things you can hear when your losing a bet is "this is how we play here or how everyone plays or how "I" have always played" :sorry:

Carry a printed set of the most current rules .
Ask opponent to look over the rules and tell you which ones are superseded by local or house rules or that he does not play by .
Make notes to those rules and both of you agree to them.
{Or don't play}
Always post.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play like this...

Two or more balls moved IN THE STACK is a foul and player owes one.

Obviously any ball moved in path of cue ball is a foul, and I have seen fouls called on people playing rotation when they bridge over a ball or "jacked up." This seems to be a grey area.

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
It looks like we got the path of the cue ball thing figured out in the thread.

Regarding number of balls moved, I have been playing with below rule:

1. move 1 ball - leave or replace without a foul
2. move 2 balls - leave or replace with one ball foul
3. move 3 or more balls - loss of game

Is this a local unwritten rule, common unwritten rule or a written rule???

nineballtko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just had this come up recently as well....several rules touch on this I think....one is that if u move a ball...the opponent is supposed to be given a chance to restore prior to ur shot which I feel is a rule violation......another rule is all balls must stop rolling prior to striking cue ball....doesn't clearly say balls rolling from a previous shot I don't think...which would or could be violation of that rule....and our area rules say cue ball fouls only....but u cannot of put more than one ball into motion at the same time....which would be another foul potentially....trying to say whether or not it interfered or changed the outcome of a shot is a little vague for my liking....took easy to have difference of opinion....if u move a ball while u are in the act of shooting the shot was changed period.....IMHO
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

20. Cue ball fouls only
A final detail: the conversation has focused on the moved ball(s) changing the cue ball's path, but the part in red above says it's a foul if the moved ball changes the path of any moving ball.

Who were you playing, John?

pj
chgo

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So it's "blurry". You fouled, you know you fouled. Accept it.

Don't play cue ball fouls only. Play all ball fouls. It will improve your game. You must be scrupulously honest and trust your self to be so. Your opponent must be honest and if you can't trust him/her to be so then don't play.

Dave Nelson

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
It's in the Official Rules Book

20. Cue ball fouls only

This rule is taken directly from the BCA Official Rules Book. It's on page 27 under Instructions for Referees.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
There's a funny accustats tape where two guys are playing in a 1p tournament, and someone nudges a ball with his stroke. His opponent cries foul, but he doesn't see it that way. In fact I don't think he even tried to move it back. So the opponent's response is to get down, swing, and then casually sweep his stick sideways after the stroke, raking all the balls in front of his hole :p

I think replace when possible, and if your shot affects the outcome, you owe a ball. I'm not sure what to do if someone moves balls and nobody can tell where they used to be... give up that game and rerack? Take a wild guess? Spot'em?

pletho

NON "ACTION KNOCKER"
Silver Member
Foul,

in almost every tournament I have ever played in at least with Nineball, as mentioned by many players this would be considered a foul, and there would not be much to argue about.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Recently was in a money match and I had to bridge over a ball and on my back stroke I bumped a couple object balls, ...
In some local tournaments that are played under "cue ball fouls only" if you move more than one object ball, it is automatically a foul. I believe a lot of one pocket tournaments are played this way.

Moving balls on the back stroke is particularly problematic. I've played against one gambletard who, when jacked up over a ball, would deftly pull the object ball back away from the cue ball on the back stroke and then take an unobstructed shot at the cue ball.

Note that the "cue ball fouls only" "rule" is in the WSR regulations because all of the world except the US plays by the real rules which are all ball fouls.

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
Nay foul on any ball period.

If you or your cue touch any ball its a foul and you loose a point and your turn if finished with the shot.

RealLive

JUICEISBACK.COM
Silver Member
even the rooster knows what's up

funny-puns-no-chicken-sht-sherlock.jpg

John Daminato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like we got the path of the cue ball thing figured out in the thread.

Regarding number of balls moved, I have been playing with below rule:

1. move 1 ball - leave or replace without a foul
2. move 2 balls - leave or replace with one ball foul
3. move 3 or more balls - loss of game

Is this a local unwritten rule, common unwritten rule or a written rule???

Never heard of this rule at all. I was wrong the first time so maybe Im wrong again but I bet this rule is unwritten and pertains to some local pool hall.