A Great Quotation That Has Kept Me In The Game.

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
When I was a newbie in 9ball I traveled to New Orleans to play in one of Tommy Kennedy's tournaments. I got bounced quickly, but hung around to watch the final. When it was down to the final 8 there weren't very many people there watching. I remember someone approaching Jamie Farrel (the host of the tournament) and saying Jamie I am here. Jamie paused for a moment and looked at Tommy Kennedy and said I am here too and it beats the hell out of the alternative. Tommy responded by asking "What's that?" To which Jamie responded "watching some other guy play his game." I think he was partly remarking about still being alive in the event and also reflecting on the fact that he was not at home on the couch watching some other sport.

This scene has stuck with me over the last 4 years. When I get frustrated about playing in tournaments and working hard to win and only getting paid beans for it, it still beats being a mindless follower who only watches other sports. I am a sports fan too, but I am just saying "I have to play my own game too, no matter how small."

Regards,
Marcus
 
You're on the roll with posting today. I want to give you more greenies, but the system won't allow it anymore. ;)

Have a nice weekend.

I liked that post BTW.
 
Last edited:
It's good to hear things like this. Reminds us as to why we play. Makes me want to put my cue together right now.
 
mnorwood said:
To which Jamie responded "watching some other guy play his game." I think he was partly remarking about still being alive in the event and also reflecting on the fact that he was not at home on the couch watching some other sport.


Regards,
Marcus

Marcus,
Great observation. I believe most true sportsmen feel the same way.

Here is a related opinion from Teddy Roosevelt in 1910.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."


"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910
 
Back
Top