A new low in "TV colors": a pink 4 and purple 5 ball

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time for a dissenting vote.

While which colors are best is certainly debatable, I am OK with the change made. As a player, the two balls that I struggle most to tell apart are the four and the five, so changing one of them seemed to be in order from my vantage point.

Yes, we'll miss the orange five, but making it more distinguishable from the four is, in my view, a step forward for those who both watch and play pool.
C'mon man. These are worse than those Skittle colored Cyclops. Mosconi himself would puke if he saw these. EF and her band of non-playing cohorts at Matchroom designed these and they dogged it. Big time.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny, this “TV colors” thing seems redundant with everyone
having HD TVs. I never had a problem seeing the regular colors
even on an analog TV.

Just watched an old Accustats match, Centennials were
easy to discern, and those were crap cameras compared
to today.. changing ball colors?.. that’s just stupid, period.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny, this “TV colors” thing seems redundant with everyone
having HD TVs. I never had a problem seeing the regular colors
even on an analog TV.

I agree. I have a lot of Accu-Stats matches from the 90's and many times Billy/Grady would, after the break, describe what each ball was (e.g. "That's the 2 ball near the lower left pocket"). I don't remember when "TV balls" came out but it seemed by that time the cameras were better and they weren't needed anyway

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very confusing now to watch pool on TV, since viewers can’t read the numbers. Do the pros ever forget and shoot the wrong ball by mistake?

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes please, and thank you very much...

Attachments

• DCD26BFE-CC2C-4CEC-99FF-83CB715B7ADC.jpeg
    DCD26BFE-CC2C-4CEC-99FF-83CB715B7ADC.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 154

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

While which colors are best is certainly debatable, I am OK with the change made. As a player, the two balls that I struggle most to tell apart are the four and the five, so changing one of them seemed to be in order from my vantage point.

Yes, we'll miss the orange five, but making it more distinguishable from the four is, in my view, a step forward for those who both watch and play pool.

Was orange not distinguishable enough from pink/purple?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Stu, to pick the color of an existing ball and assign it to another one is not wise...:rolleyes:
...it wouldn’t have bothered me if they made the 4-ball purple and the 5-ball pink.

To hear a commentator have to say ‘shooting the pink to get shape on the purple’ makes
me think I’ve contacted an alien culture....:eek:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A new low in "TV colors": a pink 4 and purple 5 ball

I'm a pool ball collector and usually pretty open to new colors and designs but these are hideous. No thanks, Aramith.

You and I both know we’ll each have a set of these as soon as we can. I’ll keep your secret safe if you need me too, rexus31

Come on now - let’s not allow familiarity and some cockeyed idea of what we’re used to get in the way of unique play.

Now rack em - lets play!

~ K.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, to pick the color of an existing ball and assign it to another one is not wise... rolleyes: ...it wouldn’t have bothered me if they made the 4-ball purple and the 5-ball pink.

To hear a commentator have to say ‘shooting the pink to get shape on the purple’ makes

Your points are well taken and well-judged. Agreed.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

Did you mean 3 and 5? Or are you saying with the pink 4 and orange 5?

I’m not a staunch traditionalist or anything but I like changes to be better :) lol. Yeah I know it’s subjective but I have a very hard time believing anyone can think that set looks good. The 9 is kinda gross but whatever it’s different. The set as a whole though? If you’re playing 8 ball with all that black...it just looks turrible.

I feel like even the people who designed it knew it was gross and they were just going for an outlandish change in some vain hope that it would suck in a few people...somehow lol.

Or there’s a power tripper in Matchroom maybe. You’ll play with these and love it or GTFO and try to make money somewhere else!!

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or there’s a power tripper in Matchroom maybe. You’ll play with these and love it or GTFO and try to make money somewhere else!![/QUOTE]

I am hoping without hope that Matchroom
admits this was a great error in judgment
and goes back to a recognizable color
scheme.
The way that lady spoke about, "get used to it",
is garbage.
They surely can do better.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you mean 3 and 5? Or are you saying with the pink 4 and orange 5?

I’m not a staunch traditionalist or anything but I like changes to be better :) lol. Yeah I know it’s subjective but I have a very hard time believing anyone can think that set looks good. The 9 is kinda gross but whatever it’s different. The set as a whole though? If you’re playing 8 ball with all that black...it just looks turrible.

I feel like even the people who designed it knew it was gross and they were just going for an outlandish change in some vain hope that it would suck in a few people...somehow lol.

Or there’s a power tripper in Matchroom maybe. You’ll play with these and love it or GTFO and try to make money somewhere else!!

That’s the only way they are going to get anyone to play with this set is force them to.
I hope I never have to play with them

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now here’s a question. Forget about the masses signing a petition for now I’m gonna say that’s different, given the direction that this lady is saying they want to go and all that stuff if customer service is really a value do you think they’ll change it?
Matchroom: Ok, seems like people are really against these new balls which we suspected but the reaction is overwhelming. Can we change this somehow? bill, what’s about that first idea we had, what color was those?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Now here’s a question. Forget about the masses signing a petition for now I’m gonna say that’s different, given the direction that this lady is saying they want to go and all that stuff if customer service is really a value do you think they’ll change it?
Matchroom: Ok, seems like people are really against these new balls which we suspected but the reaction is overwhelming. Can we change this somehow? bill, what’s about that first idea we had, what color was those?

Remember, the people watching on television and on streaming channels will be having the same problem trying to adjust to the new balls. It will definitely take away from the value of the telecast for them.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is no logical reason why they wouldn’t just make the 4 ball purple and leave the 5 orange.
With the dim lighting in the CSI arena the new purple 5 and 2 balls sort of clashed, in the same way they felt the pink 4 ball and orange 5 ball clashed.

Whatever.

They hate the color orange.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if we have any movie fans here, but a few months ago the trailer for Sonic the Hedgehog was released, and people lost their $#%@#

He looked terrible, and everyone complained on twitter and other social media outlets.

Paramount listened, and supposedly spent 35 million to completely redesign how the character looked. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive after the redesign.

Hopefully Emily and whoever else is behind the decision hears our feedback (I see a lot of negative complaints on FB), and makes a change before the MC starts. Luckily for them, it'll be a little cheaper than 35 million.

image.jpeg

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
There was never anything wrong with the original colors for the pool balls that was used for over 100 years! Then they started messing with them and began to make pool balls look like snooker balls. Have you listened to the accents on these telecasts. The Brits really put one over on the stupid Yanks again. :rotflmao1:

I've heard many commentators complain about not being able to identify traditional colors because of lighting, and being confused by TV colors.

Orange and red can be confused on a monitor with bad lighting. Bad doesn't always mean, "dark" either.

---

On the subject of hating orange, until it merged with T-Mobile, there was an entire cellular provider called Orange. Orange UK actually.

---

Like everything else there's a better solution than complaining and then doing nothing. You can vote with your wallets. When offered a set the next time you are shopping, you can say, "No thank you, they're too confusing" to the retailer. Smaller stores especially listen to their customers because they are walking a finer line. They aren't going to stock things that don't sell.

For TV commentators: have the organizers give you a set of the oddly colored balls. Put them in front of the monitor. Then you won't have to guess which one is which because it's right there in your line of sight. If you have one, use the teleprompter to show which is the next ball for the audience. Don't make the entire commentary about the ball colors, that's annoying and childish.

Finally, TV colors don't bother me at all. Actually, they're snooker colors, not TV colors. They show up better on a camera. Pool is new, not snooker so the TV colors are more traditional. The order is off, but it's a compromise to keep them similar to the original colors.

I dislike the Cyclops colors. I would however buy a set to get used to them before entering a tournament that was going to use them. Otherwise, it's a waste of money to me.

I might get a set of the Blak if it was only the the black measel ball and the 9 and 10-ball. Just for display, not use. There was a black and pink 7-ball for TV I'd like to own too. Again, just as a talking point, not for use.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Stu, to pick the color of an existing ball and assign it to another one is not wise...:rolleyes:
...it wouldn’t have bothered me if they made the 4-ball purple and the 5-ball pink.

yeah, I agree. But, technically, the only colors that are really close together are the maroon 7 and the red 3. The orange 5 is one of the most recognizable on the table. There is no reason to change that.

Thus, just make the 7 pink/mauve/brown/ and be done with it. and the black/yellow nine is hideous as well.