A Nit Or Not A Nit..

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Right, but in this case they are punishing players for acting like a referee while the referee sits there.
No they were punishing players for breaking the rule regarding all ball fouls. Removing the template was not a foul. If you distrubed a ball at any point it was a foul. That includes while pretending to be a ref.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No they were punishing players for breaking the rule regarding all ball fouls. Removing the template was not a foul. If you distrubed a ball at any point it was a foul. That includes while pretending to be a ref.
The way my brain works is if the warn players they will be punished if they play referee and disturb a ball then they should provide a referee to do the job. With a referee sitting and watching the match he never moved to remove the template with the 10 ball inside the template.

Nothing wrong with the rule. It was poorly implemented.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The way my brain works is if the warn players they will be punished if they play referee and disturb a ball then they should provide a referee to do the job. With a referee sitting and watching the match he never moved to remove the template with the 10 ball inside the template.

Nothing wrong with the rule. It was poorly implemented.
Ya I get that..., the way your thinking. However refs were provided. A ref isn't meant to interject themselves into match to prevent the poor form of players. There meant to enforce the rules. The rule wasn't "you must use a ref for template removal". They (refs) were instructed to remove templates at player's request, so the players didn't have to stress about removing it themselves if they might risk fouling.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya I get that..., the way your thinking. However refs were provided. A ref isn't meant to interject themselves into match to prevent the poor form of players. There meant to enforce the rules. The rule wasn't "you must use a ref for template removal". They (refs) were instructed to remove templates at player's request, so the players didn't have to stress about removing it themselves if they might risk fouling.
What other professional sport requires the participants to pay an entry fee and then has the participants preform the job of referee while the referee stands and waits for them to make a mistake so he can penalize them?

For me that makes no sense but apparently others think it is a great idea.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
What other professional sport requires the participants to pay an entry fee and then has the participants preform the job of referee while the referee stands and waits for them to make a mistake so he can penalize them?

For me that makes no sense but apparently others think it is a great idea.
This is the error in your approach to situation. The participants do not have to remove the rack. The ref can and will do so on request. Don't confuse people taking upon themselves to remove the rack, as refs not doing their job.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont believe any Filipino would call that foul. I wouldn't want to win a game that way and im glad i dont play anymore.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont believe any Filipino would call that foul. I wouldn't want to win a game that way and im glad i dont play anymore.
There was a match from the Manny pacquiao tournament in which a Filipino player called a no call foul on the match 10 ball which was straight in and no more than a foot from the side pocket, no doubt as to the shooters intention, just forgot to call It. It was a foul and upheld as such. In situations like this it is impossible to lump people together based upon some romanticized idea you have in your head regarding how someone else would respond.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a match from the Manny pacquiao tournament in which a Filipino player called a no call foul on the match 10 ball which was straight in and no more than a foot from the side pocket, no doubt as to the shooters intention, just forgot to call It. It was a foul and upheld as such. In situations like this it is impossible to lump people together based upon some romanticized idea you have in your head regarding how someone else would respond.

Maybe I'm thinking of the same match : between Ronnie Alcano and SVB... Alcano called foul on SVB for not calling a 10 ball straight in to the side pocket. SVB was disgusted by the chicken-shit call, broke down his cue and forfeited the set. You're probably right that where you're from or how good you are at pool won't predict where you stand on this ruling.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the error in your approach to situation. The participants do not have to remove the rack. The ref can and will do so on request. Don't confuse people taking upon themselves to remove the rack, as refs not doing their job.
I posted a video from the tournament in question. The ref sits on a stool while the player has to remove the template in the semifinals.

Imagine if MLB had the umpire stand next to the catcher while the catcher called balls and strikes. The umpire awards a run to the other team if the catcher makes a mistake.

If a tournament is going to enact a rule like this then they need the referees to get off their butt and do their job. It's asinine for a referee to stand watching a player do his job and then penalize the player if he makes a mistake.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I posted a video from the tournament in question. The ref sits on a stool while the player has to remove the template in the semifinals.

Imagine if MLB had the umpire stand next to the catcher while the catcher called balls and strikes. The umpire awards a run to the other team if the catcher makes a mistake.

If a tournament is going to enact a rule like this then they need the referees to get off their butt and do their job. It's asinine for a referee to stand watching a player do his job and then penalize the player if he makes a mistake.
This is where you're wrong. You keep blaming the tournament for the players not making the request. Absolutely nothing is making the players have to remove the template, other than their unwillingness to call the ref and wait for him to perform the task.

Much like a ref does not warn a player if they are about to touch a random ball and incur a foul. A ref does not prevent the player from removing the rack. As a player, if you willingly want to run the risk of generating a foul, then it's a disservice to your opponent to have the ref intervene.

Last edited:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'm thinking of the same match : between Ronnie Alcano and SVB... Alcano called foul on SVB for not calling a 10 ball straight in to the side pocket. SVB was disgusted by the chicken-shit call, broke down his cue and forfeited the set. You're probably right that where you're from or how good you are at pool won't predict where you stand on this ruling.
I didn't know about that one. It was a different match. There was a post on here when it happened. I don't remember the player. It was the final 10 ball of the match. My point is, nobody can be lumped together when comes to things like this.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
What might be an interesting side note as to what "chicken-shit" is. There's video on YT of SVB horribly double hitting a CB so badly that it can be clearly heard in the audio. Of course his fans will cite tons of excuses as to why he didn't call it on himself. However in the end, he didn't and is as "chicken-shit" a move as anything else. At least Alcano played within the rules.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if you play within the rules in a tournament nothing is chicken shit. the rules are the guide to play by, not what your personal beliefs are or what you do in your home pool room.
if the rules dont cover enough things then use them to your advantage or ask for them to be changed.

its a tournament not a personal game between friends or gambling.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you play within the rules in a tournament nothing is chicken shit. the rules are the guide to play by, not what your personal beliefs are or what you do in your home pool room.
if the rules dont cover enough things then use them to your advantage or ask for them to be changed.

its a tournament not a personal game between friends or gambling.
SO would you support it, if a guy had ball in hand on the nine/call the 9 lined it up and said 'nine in the corner' and then shot it right in and his opponent said " you didn't say which corner!"

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SO would you support it, if a guy had ball in hand on the nine/call the 9 lined it up and said 'nine in the corner' and then shot it right in and his opponent said " you didn't say which corner!"
I know you weren't responding to me, but I still have a question... Since when have you ever had to call the nine ball? Or any ball in 9 ball? Maybe you meant to say eight ball? And you usually point your stick at the pocket you're calling anyway. If the opponent isn't paying attention, I guess that's just their tough luck. So in your scenario, maybe the APA has it right. Patching a pocket leaves no questions.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Well in your situation the shooting player nominated the corner by pointing at it with his cue as he made the shot... I know what you're thinking. ...but like what I tell the guys at work. If you ask a stupid question expect a real stupid answer

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well in your situation the shooting player nominated the corner by pointing at it with his cue as he made the shot... I know what you're thinking. ...but like what I tell the guys at work. If you ask a stupid question expect a real stupid answer
I have seen it happen- He didn't point at the corner and he lost the game. The move was pulled by a PRO. There are no stupid questions they say but we know there are stupid people.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you weren't responding to me, but I still have a question... Since when have you ever had to call the nine ball? Or any ball in 9 ball? Maybe you meant to say eight ball? And you usually point your stick at the pocket you're calling anyway. If the opponent isn't paying attention, I guess that's just their tough luck. So in your scenario, maybe the APA has it right. Patching a pocket leaves no questions.
You must not have been around long. There are plenty of tournaments with 'call the 9' One you might have heard of is the ''Champion of Champions' is that what its called? Use to be held at the Mohegan Sun. Efren lost a game by not calling the 9 and would have lost another one (race to 5) except the crowd shouted CALL THE NINE as he was about to shoot.

Pool should not be a memory contest. If it is clearly made in the intended pocket, it should be good. Straight Pool is call shot every ball but even in the true World Championship no one calls an obvious shot and no one pulls a move. Of course Straight Pool Players have more class than 9 Ball Players.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must not have been around long. There are plenty of tournaments with 'call the 9' One you might have heard of is the ''Champion of Champions' is that what its called? Use to be held at the Mohegan Sun. Efren lost a game by not calling the 9 and would have lost another one (race to 5) except the crowd shouted CALL THE NINE as he was about to shoot.

Pool should not be a memory contest. If it is clearly made in the intended pocket, it should be good. Straight Pool is call shot every ball but even in the true World Championship no one calls an obvious shot and no one pulls a move. Of course Straight Pool Players have more class than 9 Ball Players.
It's very uncommon to have to call 9 ball. But, if that's the rules, then just do it. If you forget, then it's on you. Either play by the rules, or don't play in that tournament. And if you break the rules, either accidentally or on purpose, then you pay the price. It really is that simple. I don't expect any more out of my opponent than I expect for myself. If I break the rules, I expect to be punished for it. It's fair for all parties involved. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I have seen it happen- He didn't point at the corner and he lost the game. The move was pulled by a PRO. There are no stupid questions they say but we know there are stupid people.
Fair enough, and I apologize for my tone in the prior response. All the worst moves I've seen pulled were by 'pros'. Not sure if it's because I think we should be able to hold 'pros' higher in regard, or the simple fact that they are playing for what keeps them eating, so they have a no holds barred mind set. Anything to gain the edge.