A Nit Or Not A Nit..

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The incoming player does have the choice to replace the ball or leave it. But it has to be to the original position.

That can be challenged by the player who moved it as to if that is in fact the original position.. the incoming player doesn't have the last word.

Once he says move the ball back they have to aggree it is in the right place. If they have a ref then he will replace the ball and that's that.
Maybe it is a clear rules violation but I'd need to see a rulebook before I stipulate to that. A referee should remove the template but with no referee Eddie was acting as a referee.

I need to see a rulebook that addresses the issue of a player removing the template.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Maybe it is a clear rules violation but I'd need to see a rulebook before I stipulate to that. A referee should remove the template but with no referee Eddie was acting as a referee.

I need to see a rulebook that addresses the issue of a player removing the template.
Regardless of the template or how a ball gets moved, if you're playing fouls on the cue ball only the incoming player has the right to leave the ball where it is or replace it to its original position.

Another thing also, the rulebook doesn't matter because tournaments are played by made up rules from one tournament to the next.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'

It was mentioned earlier that the TD informed everyone at the player's meeting that refs would be responsible for removing the template. Don't need a rule book in this case.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Tin Man cleared this all up in post #54. He stated: "I played in the event as well. The tournament director had a player's meeting Friday night. He really wanted this to be a professional event so we played all ball fouls and we had 4 referees arms length away at all times. He set the rules that removing the magic rack was a foul if a ball was touched and that we were to ask a referee to do this. There was NEVER a delay with this request".

So it sounds like there were enough referees around that one could have easily been summoned. Sounds as if the OP didn't want to take the time to do that and took matters into his own hands and committed a foul. IMHO, not a nit move for the OP's opponent to call the foul in a tournament that had a player's meeting with a specific rule covering that scenario.

Would I have called that foul? Maybe...maybe not. Depends on who the opponent is/was. I'm only addressing the part of the OP's post of calling his opponent a "NIT" and "cabbage patch boy".

If I ever play someone with the OP's attitude....I'm calling the foul too!

Maniac

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The incoming player does have the choice to replace the ball or leave it. But it has to be to the original position.

That can be challenged by the player who moved it as to if that is in fact the original position.. the incoming player doesn't have the last word.

Once he says move the ball back they have to aggree it is in the right place. If they have a ref then he will replace the ball and that's that.

Tin Man cleared this all up in post #54. He stated: "I played in the event as well. The tournament director had a player's meeting Friday night. He really wanted this to be a professional event so we played all ball fouls and we had 4 referees arms length away at all times. He set the rules that removing the magic rack was a foul if a ball was touched and that we were to ask a referee to do this. There was NEVER a delay with this request".

So it sounds like there were enough referees around that one could have easily been summoned. Sounds as if the OP didn't want to take the time to do that and took matters into his own hands and committed a foul. IMHO, not a nit move for the OP's opponent to call the foul in a tournament that had a player's meeting with a specific rule covering that scenario.

Would I have called that foul? Maybe...maybe not. Depends on who the opponent is/was. I'm only addressing the part of the OP's post of calling his opponent a "NIT" and "cabbage patch boy".

If I ever play someone with the OP's attitude....I'm calling the foul too!

Maniac
In that case it was a foul but if I was playing I wouldn't have called unless he moved the 9 to where he had a combination. Just me but I would not have called a foul - maybe mentioned to Eddie that the referee is supposed to pick up the template.

I can see where a guy gets used to picking up the template and does it out of force of habit.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In that case it was a foul but if I was playing I wouldn't have called unless he moved the 9 to where he had a combination. Just me but I would not have called a foul - maybe mentioned to Eddie that the referee is supposed to pick up the template.

I can see where a guy gets used to picking up the template and does it out of force of habit.
Since it was addressed in the players meeting, dont you think you should discuss it with your opponent before taking action on your own? Have the opponent remove it? Call for a referee? The were many options. The op chose the wrong one.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may have been correct by the hard definition of the rules, but I certainly would not have called it. In fact, one time I was playing in a tournament in a tight, tight race (8-8 or 8-7) and while my opponent was shooting, his untucked shirt lightly brushes a ball he was leaning over. He stood up and called a foul on himself when he noticed it. I told him thanks for calling it out but keep shooting. IMHO, classless players that try to exploit rules beyond their intent ruin the enjoyment portion of the "game" we all love. I wouldn't enjoy any victory if I had to win that way.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since it was addressed in the players meeting, dont you think you should discuss it with your opponent before taking action on your own? Have the opponent remove it? Call for a referee? The were many options. The op chose the wrong one.
Perhaps but in this case removing the template is something a player like Eddie has probably done thousands of times. It's kind of a reflex action. If they said at the player's meeting you couldn't put chalk on the rail I imagine somebody would do it out of habit.

I vote that the opponent was not a nit because I'm a nit and I wouldn't have done it. I would have laughed it off and told Eddie to let the referee do it next time.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So can I put down a ball marker and clean the cue ball/object ball? I would simply decide to act as a referee and all would be good right?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a ball marker fetish?
Sure, who doesn't? But that has nothing to do with pool.

In all seriousness, the op contended that, when he decided to remove the template rack, he was assuming the role of referee. He then assumed that left him faultless to any foul that may occur.

I don't think this kid should've called a foul, but I don't think he was wrong.

My scenario involves the same logic different scenario.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure, who doesn't? But that has nothing to do with pool.

In all seriousness, the op contended that, when he decided to remove the template rack, he was assuming the role of referee. He then assumed that left him faultless to any foul that may occur.

I don't think this kid should've called a foul, but I don't think he was wrong.

My scenario involves the same logic different scenario.

I disagree because the template is provided for every table and not a ball marker because most people clean the cue ball before a rack if it needs it. If there was a rule no chalk on the rail and someone forgot that would be a similar scenario to what Eddie did. Players do it without thinking about it.

Still not a nit move. A nit move is getting a gambling addict to give the nuts because he is desperate and you don't care if you gamble or not. Or the Fats move where he would wait until late to show up knowing the players would already be half drunk.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree because the template is provided for every table and not a ball marker because most people clean the cue ball before a rack if it needs it. If there was a rule no chalk on the rail and someone forgot that would be a similar scenario to what Eddie did. Players do it without thinking about it.

Still not a nit move. A nit move is getting a gambling addict to give the nuts because he is desperate and you don't care if you gamble or not. Or the Fats move where he would wait until late to show up knowing the players would already be half drunk.

My logic is sound. I don't agree with the foul, but the op's only real defense was the referee angle, which is soft.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
If there was a rule no chalk on the rail and someone forgot that would be a similar scenario to what Eddie did. Players do it without thinking about it.
Just curious. If there were a "no chalk on the rails" rule in place, what would be the punishment for the offending player?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just curious. If there were a "no chalk on the rails" rule in place, what would be the punishment for the offending player?
Well, I'd go for one or two warnings and then a standard foul for each occurrence, if there were such a rule.

Snooker players keep their chalk in a pocket when not chalking unless they are going to be stretched out over the table where it would be crushed and then they place the chalk on the rail.

Carom players leave the chalk on the rail during the inning but take it away from the table at the end of their inning. They are careful to place it where it cannot be thought to be marking the table for the shot.

Top snooker and carom players always bring their own chalk to a match.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I vote that the opponent was not a nit because I'm a nit and I wouldn't have done it. I would have laughed it off and told Eddie to let the referee do it next time.
I'm one of the those weird nits that pays attention to what's going on and follows the instructions of TDs. ...so although I would have most likely called the foul. I would have stopped Eddie before he reach the template, and told him I'd do so if he continued.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My logic is sound. I don't agree with the foul, but the op's only real defense was the referee angle, which is soft.

This reminds me of when I argue with my wife. You are making a case for it being a foul but you don't agree with the foul. I give up. You win the internet.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know. What was the penalty here in the semi-final match of the same tournament Eddie is discussing?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This reminds me of when I argue with my wife. You are making a case for it being a foul but you don't agree with the foul. I give up. You win the internet.
There are many rules I dont agree with, but a rule is a rule. If I dont like them to enough of a degree, I wont play. There is no excuse for ignoring them because you dont agree with them. As I said before, discuss it with you opponent before you take your own brand of action. Communication can solve many problems before they start.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many rules I dont agree with, but a rule is a rule. If I dont like them to enough of a degree, I wont play. There is no excuse for ignoring them because you dont agree with them. As I said before, discuss it with you opponent before you take your own brand of action. Communication can solve many problems before they start.

Same tournament. Semi-finals. What's the rule?