A Pole About Shafts: Do You Use Low Deflection?

I am an excellent to pro player and I use:

• Total voters

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
PLEASE, only vote if you are A speed or higher. I'm not trying to belittle anyone, I just want to get a sampling of what excellent to pro players use - low deflection or not low deflection.

My shaft has more deflection than a politician and am considering switching in hopes I will be more consistent.

I hope some pro's will vote!

Thanks!

Matt

EZMoney

Could this be your money?
Silver Member
sorry

Sorry Kk9 I vote and I know I'm not worthy, being a B to c player.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Radially-consistent shafts

Matt:

Before you make the switch to full-blown low-deflection shafts, you might want to consider an intermediary step first -- i.e. radially-consistent standard shafts.

Examples would be:

1. An excellent standard maple or ash shaft, made from properly stored and seasoned wood. Most good cuemakers / luthiers / repairmen can make you one of these, and once you try an excellently-made standard shaft, you'll wonder how in the world you got by without it.

2. The Tiger X ULTRA high performance standard shafts. (Not the "ULTRA-X" which are Tiger's low-deflection product!). These are specifically made to be radially consistent, so no matter the orientation of the shaft, the hit (and the amount of deflection) is the same.

I personally love the hit of a non-LD shaft. To me, LD shafts (i.e. I've tried Predator's 314^2 and Z^2 products) hit like a wet noodle. Also, because my game has subconscious accounting for deflection built-in, I experienced a bit of shock when I was in my LD-fixation phase ("hey! my compensated aim meant to hit 'there' but it hit over 'here'!").

Since your game most likely has deflection-accounting built-in, you'll want to leverage that with a radially-consistent shaft. Making the jump to LD more than likely will give your game a shock, and you'll need time to adjust. Plus, you'll lose some of your Wall-abushka skills (i.e. being able to play off the wall).

You might want to read JoeyA's account of he and Alex Pagulayan both trying out Efren's cue when Efren was away from the table:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=232442

It's definitely the Indian, and not the arrow!
-Sean

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
I don't use a laminated shaft but my custom cue has very little deflection. I think a LD shaft is great, but you don't have to buy, OB, Preditor, etc. Not that these are bad shafts or anything like that. I have hit every kind of shaft i can think of, and will say that a shaft with less deflection is an obvious advantage! The consistancy is what REALLY makes the the difference. My Keith Kustom, has a hit that i cant live with out, and of course with his talants he builds a shaft with very little deflection.

just my $.02

Justin

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't use an LD shaft. I have no idea how much deflection my playing shaft has nor do I care. I aim and the ball goes in the pocket. Thats all I care about. Don't make a simple game harder.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I don't use an LD shaft. I have no idea how much deflection my playing shaft has nor do I care. I aim and the ball goes in the pocket. Thats all I care about. Don't make a simple game harder.

It doesnt make much diff. I can put down my predator and play the same with a Shon. I think the LD shafts are a sure way to get a good playing shaft
without the guesswork of how a normal shaft will play. Shon shafts play great but a lot of others just dont have that hit imo
To tell the truth there are shots I can play with the shon that I cant with the predator,such as making the cb jump off the ob in the air or full
length cue jump shot

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What is harder is figuring how to adjust for side english! An argument for the LD shafts.

I can't stand em though. Feel too light at the tip.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is harder is figuring how to adjust for side english! An argument for the LD shafts.I can't stand em though. Feel too light at the tip.

I have been using standard shafts for over 50 years and I don't need to learn how to adjust for spin all over again.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I did not mean to sound mad. :)
I am from Jersey and we tend to sound a little gruff to some people.

Why in the heck would ANYBODY want to move from Joisey to Colorado ;)???

Maniac (hope it wasn't for the (then) free water :thumbup:)

hdgis1

Matt:

2. The Tiger X ULTRA high performance standard shafts. (Not the "ULTRA-X" which are Tiger's low-deflection product!). These are specifically made to be radially consistent, so no matter the orientation of the shaft, the hit (and the amount of deflection) is the same.

-Sean

Sean - It's simply not possible to have non-laminated radially consistent shafts. Take a square dowel 1/2 x 1/2 with nice straight grain and try flexing in both the quarter sawn and flat sawn orientations. Flat sawn is always gonna bend more.

Chris

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sean - It's simply not possible to have non-laminated radially consistent shafts. Take a square dowel 1/2 x 1/2 with nice straight grain and try flexing in both the quarter sawn and flat sawn orientations. Flat sawn is always gonna bend more.

Chris

Chris:

The Tiger X-ULTRA product are laminated shafts. (In the post you quoted, I was trying to make the distinction between Tiger's "X ULTRA" and "ULTRA-X" products, which are different. They are both laminated, but only the former -- the X ULTRA -- are non-LD but laminated. Instead of being laminated in the obligatory pie-piece way, the Tiger X ULTRA is laminated in a circular, "shell" construction.)

I understand what you're saying, re: quarter-sawn vs flat-sawn, but are you saying that Tiger's products are not radially-consistent?

-Sean

Overlandy

Registered
Sorry, I was the kid who didn't read the instructions to the test. I voted and I am NOT an excellent to pro player! Story of my life I guess?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why in the heck would ANYBODY want to move from Joisey to Colorado ;)???

Maniac (hope it wasn't for the (then) free water :thumbup:)

I will answer that. In 1991 when my kids were 17 & 13 New Jersey was fast becoming a cesspool of drugs and gangs.I needed to get them away from that. Colorado has drugs and gangs but not at the epic levels of New Jersey.We got out in 1991.
And the kids turned out just fine.:grin: