A Purple Five Ball Makes No Sense to Me

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t wait for the day this backwards color scheme ball set finally loses its luster, undersells, and goes out of production.

There’s no reason with HD cameras, TVs and phones they couldn’t make the 4 purple and the 5 orange. Maybe not the classic version of those colors. But maybe with enough contrast and brightness to stand out well enough.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
They should just make all the balls the same color. And remove the numbers. And do away with the cue ball. Game would be so easy to follow then ;)

Pool Hand Luke

One guy I used to play with bought a black and white striped 8 ball because his regular partners (older) had trouble seeing the all black 8.
Meh.

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The original color choices were optimal.
White and black
3 primary {Red Yellow Blue}
3 secondary {Orange Green Purple}
1 trinary {Brown}
I was always taught that they were all 8 numbers apart: 1&9, 2& 10, 3 & 11, 4 & 12,etc.. With all of the bragging on TV resolution, it’s ridiculous to have to change colors. If the felt is Green, shouldn’t we be able to easily tell?

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching these stupid colored balls on TV is like dropping tabs of orange sunshine. A bad idea in '69 and not much better now. It's just another cheap trick for the Chi Coms to sell more unnecessary junk.

Jedco

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I hate it when people don't give new ideas a chance, I always try to keep an open mind. But like my dad used to say, if your mind is too open your brains will fall out. If their goal is to make the colors less confusing to spectators, why pick a color that's already in use? I've been watching the PLP stream all week, and even though I know damn well that the colors are different, I STILL keep mixing up the 4 and 5 ball!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a 10 ball stream last night with this set. Earl vs Josh Brothers. The set in 10 ball is even worse than for 9 ball. The 10 is black and blue, and they almost blend together to make it look like the all black 8 ball.

On a traditional set, this can happen with the 1 and the 9 ball. But the difference is in that case, the one is pocketed immediately so if there is any confusion it’s gone quickly.

With the blak set, the 10 and the 8 are on the table for 80% of each rack. So there is confusion 80% of the time.

Emily, are you listening? This set is HORRIBLE! Worse than the Cyclop set we finally got rid of.

pw98

Registered
Simple, at this point pink 4 is considered part of their brand. I guarantee there was a meeting in a boardroom with marketing in there and the word brand recognition was used at least once.

I absolutely love the black stripes but there's no way I will buy them with a purple 5. Now if they had any kind of brains at all they could have made the 4 purple and the 5 pink. Not many people play with a pink 4 unless they bought a set to look like the ones on TV, or they are playing on TV themselves.

Maybe they did it so they could trademark/patent the color of the 5 ball so they have a monopoly on the colors used in the major events?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Count me among those who had an issue with the ball colors. It did seem strange that ball colors in use for over a century would be changed. That said, Matchroom was one of many that tried different colors, and they were not the first. Aramith and Cyclops had already introduced balls having non-traditional colors. I wish that none of them had done so but we'll probably never get back to where we were.

At this point, isn't it best to just embrace (and, of course, memorize) the new colors? Is it really that difficult? My biggest hope, given where we are, is that they don't switch the colors again.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Makes me wonder who will come up with a different color for the 8 ball.

Last edited:

Guy Manges

Registered
OK, maybe purple isn't that good of a color for TV so change the four ball to pink to make it stand out more on TV. I'm OK with that.
A black and Yellow Nine Ball doesn't bother me either. Can't deny that it does stand out on the table.
HOWEVER, if purple sucked on the four ball why is it acceptable on the five ball? Orange is very vivid color and shows up great. DO THE CHINESE MASTERS AT PREDATOR HATE ORANGE? What other reason could Predator have to make this stupid change.
Maybe because the word orange doesn't rhym with any other word. Weird