A real CTE shot for you to try.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
In honesty the conversation didn't get too far. He showed me the concept and had me hit some easy shots. I kept asking how the cue should be directed and he said to forget about the cue and just hit it. I realized at that point that this was a pivot system. Aim at a fixed spot and adjust your pivot as needed to pocket the ball. I got more out of his Greenleaf stories. Over the years following that I would give CTE another try based on conversations here but it never worked for me. The ball orientation mystery thing doesn't work for me.
Nonsense. Highly doubtful. Show us how to accomplish "pivot as needed".

Go on, can't wait for the video on this one.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nonsense. Highly doubtful. Show us how to accomplish "pivot as needed".

Go on, can't wait for the video on this one.
What part is nonsense? He had me draw a circle with vertical lines at the A, B and C lines and said I needed to aim either the ccb or edge cb at one of those lines. I think he wanted me to do a half ball pivot but honestly after 20 years I just don't remember. It was my interpretation that since Hal didn't want to talk about what I had to do with the cue, that I would naturally stroke in a direction that made the ob go in the pocket.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
What part is nonsense? He had me draw a circle with vertical lines at the A, B and C lines and said I needed to aim either the ccb or edge cb at one of those lines. I think he wanted me to do a half ball pivot but honestly after 20 years I just don't remember. It was my interpretation that since Hal didn't want to talk about what I had to do with the cue, that I would naturally stroke in a direction that made the ob go in the pocket.
Ok, you must be the ONLY person he said this to"20" years ago. As for the half-ball pivot, if he told you to that then he was NOT telling you to aim and "pivot as needed". You contradict yourself and don't even realize it.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's back up to where we have common ground because I don't understand why we disagree. We're talking about pure geometry for the moment, if you will. Forget the pool table, 2x1 or pockets. Two balls are 2 diamonds away. You aim center cb to edge ob for a "half ball hit." You can see the alignment clearly. Now move the two balls somewhere else but still 2 diamonds away. Same result, right? Now do the same thing with two lines. The first is cb edge to B and the second is center to edge. You line them up when they are 2 diamonds away from each other and it looks a certain way. Move the balls to a different place still the same 2 diamonds apart and it still looks the same, correct?

Are we on the same page here? If not then can you explain the geometry?
Not on the same page. You guys have approached this wrong for a long time. I will not talk geometry. I will not talk half ball hits.

Two different shots you would have two different contact points, right?
Two different shots you also have two different places where the CTEL crosses the object ball. It's what we've always said.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Half ball pivot to take the cue to CCB.

Not on the same page. You guys have approached this wrong for a long time. I will not talk geometry. I will not talk half ball hits.

Two different shots you also have two different places where the CTEL crosses the object ball. It's what we've always said.
If the distance between the balls is the same, then how can there be 2 different sets of lines from & to the specifically defined points on the balls If the distance between the balls is the same, then how can there be a different CTE line or a different edge to A, B, or C line? To say that there is or can be such certainly seems to be irrational & go against science. Why will you not talk science such as geometry? All the Game of Pool, physically is, is Geometry & Physics. What you say here goes against the science of geometry.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, you must be the ONLY person he said this to"20" years ago. As for the half-ball pivot, if he told you to that then he was NOT telling you to aim and "pivot as needed". You contradict yourself and don't even realize it.
You don't comprehend what i write. Read it again. It was my conclusion from what Hal was telling me that a variable pivot was going to be the only way to pocket the balls. He had my eyes going in one direction and the cue lined up in another so there seemed to be a lot of play in how you draw the cue back. I don't remember all the details, only that he didn't want me to think about how I was drawing the cue back.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem oddly averse to talking about geometry in a game that is based largely on geometry. What are you afraid of?

No, they don't if we're not talking about pocketing balls. What you are doing is you are finding the shot line to a pocket for each shot first, then you are saying that they have two different contact points. If you find the shot line that way then you cannot still be looking at edge to B and center to edge anymore.

Then one of them is no longer actually center to edge, or CTEL. Is this really that complicated?

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how many of the "cte" Altar Boys paid full retail for the book. I wonder how many of the "cte" Altar Boys read any portion of the book. I wonder how many of the "cte" Altar Boys read the entire book. I wonder how many of the Facebook Choirboys have read it.

Why is there no published review of the book? Let me rephrase the question: why is there no published review of the book?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the distance between the balls is the same, then how can there be 2 different sets of lines from & to the specifically defined points on the balls If the distance between the balls is the same, then how can there be a different CTE line or a different edge to A, B, or C line? To say that there is or can be such certainly seems to be irrational & go against science. Why will you not talk science such as geometry? All the Game of Pool, physically, is Geometry & Physics. What you say here goes against the science of geometry.
You are new to the party. Nice first post. Jumping right into the CTE wars. Some on here would be very suspicious of that.
I would just say, go watch The Truth Series by Stan on youtube for the answers to all your questions.

POOL IS A VERY VISUAL GAME

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem oddly averse to talking about geometry in a game that is based largely on geometry. What are you afraid of?

No, they don't if we're not talking about pocketing balls. What you are doing is you are finding the shot line to a pocket for each shot first, then you are saying that they have two different contact points. If you find the shot line that way then you cannot still be looking at edge to B and center to edge anymore.

Then one of them is no longer actually center to edge, or CTEL. Is this really that complicated?
I'm guessing it's very complicated for you.

Each CB and OB relationship has it's own unique PERCEPTION. I don't know why you can't understand this

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
If the distance between the balls is the same, then how can there be 2 different sets of lines from & to the specifically defined points on the balls If the distance between the balls is the same, then how can there be a different CTE line or a different edge to A, B, or C line? To say that there is or can be such certainly seems to be irrational & go against science. Why will you not talk science such as geometry? All the Game of Pool, physically, is Geometry & Physics. What you say here goes against the science of geometry.

OK so science and logic dictate that if the CB/OB are the same distance apart, you would get the same physical alignment from anywhere. That is assuming your eyes are on the AL/SL like lasers on 2D lines drawn from the CB to the OB. But in reality that isn’t how it works. While aligning to the AL/SL your eye focus is on the OB. During that focus each eye sees a separate CB. If you close one eye at a time you can notice this. Hence my finger magic trick mentioned earlier. So then begs the question, how our eyes align the AL/SL to this perceptual phenomenon. It’s interesting because if you just let your eyes do what comes natural, it leads to the NISL. It may take some practice to recognize what the “correct” visual for AL/SL looks like, but once you do it works the same all over the table shot fore shot. Every perception is unique.

What I have noticed is on a given shot when AL/SL are “on”, then I check each eye alignment individually, they may not necessarily look perfectly aligned “on” their respective line. It is the combination of the two lines that make the whole shot picture look “on”.

You might read this and think: ok so the AL/SL can be anything my eyes decide what looks "on". And so the actual shot line influences what my eyes tell me is "on". But I don't think that is accurate either, because the system works equally well with shots where the shot line and/or pocket is completely out of the visual shot picture. Such as banks and long cuts. Or curtain shots. I can also take a specific CB/OB orientation and reset the balls to go through all the perceptions and find the pockets without even thinking about what pocket I'm aiming for, I just focus on the system.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'll be honest... I kinda want to try this whole AL/SL crossed eyed aiming thing just to see why someone would want to make something so simple, so difficult. Has anyone experienced headaches or other medical issues while first trying the CTE method...? I have an inner ear problem that comes and goes. Could CTE for a newb help trigger vertigo...?

Side note: I'm watching the Truth Series now.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
I'll be honest... I kinda want to try this whole AL/SL crossed eyed aiming thing just to see why someone would want to make something so simple, so difficult. Has anyone experienced headaches or other medical issues while first trying the CTE method...? I have an inner ear problem that comes and goes. Could CTE for a newb help trigger vertigo...?

Side note: I'm watching the Truth Series now.
It's not nearly as complicated as it sounds. We are dissecting everything in this thread for the sake of... science? But in reality all you do is follow simple instructions: put your eyes at an offset to see AL/SL, then look at CCB, then as Hal would say, whack it :)

You are new to the party. Nice first post. Jumping right into the CTE wars. Some on here would be very suspicious of that.
I would just say, go watch The Truth Series by Stan on youtube for the answers to all your questions.

POOL IS A VERY VISUAL GAME
I figured this would be coming as I have seen it done to others. I am not new to the 'party'. I have been reading AZB for many years if not a full decade or more. I mostly only read the Instructors Forum & this Aiming Forum. I look in on the Main Forum, but I have no interest in most of what is there. Since I am now retired, I joined to be a member for the specific purpose of being able to post in the two other forums.

I have seen the back & forth between the 2 sides regarding CTE for a long time. So why would my first post not be in either the Aiming or Instructors forums? I mainly became a member to try to help those telling the Scientific truth about CTE & discuss aiming in general & the more common issues that come up in the Instructors Forum.

Those telling the scientific truth about the reality of the science have done a fairly good job at that & for doing so they have continually gotten hit with the attack the messenger tactic. Your post to me is a somewhat light version of that. Why can't you & others of the pro CTEers simply stay on the topic of the the reality of the science regarding the subject matter?

I have seen many of Mr. Shuffett's old videos including his 5 shots video & some of his new ones. None of that changes the Reality of Science.

So again, Why do you refuse to talk about the Science of Geometry as it relates to the topic?

What you & others, including Mr. Shuffett, say about the the same = different is simply not possible via any objective manner.

OK so science and logic dictate that if the CB/OB are the same distance apart, you would get the same physical alignment from anywhere. That is assuming your eyes are on the AL/SL like lasers on 2D lines drawn from the CB to the OB. But in reality that isn’t how it works. While aligning to the AL/SL your eye focus is on the OB. During that focus each eye sees a separate CB. If you close one eye at a time you can notice this. Hence my finger magic trick mentioned earlier. So then begs the question, how our eyes align the AL/SL to this perceptual phenomenon. It’s interesting because if you just let your eyes do what comes natural, it leads to the NISL. It may take some practice to recognize what the “correct” visual for AL/SL looks like, but once you do it works the same all over the table shot fore shot. Every perception is unique.

What I have noticed is on a given shot when AL/SL are “on”, then I check each eye alignment individually, they may not necessarily look perfectly aligned “on” their respective line. It is the combination of the two lines that make the whole shot picture look “on”.

You might read this and think: ok so the AL/SL can be anything my eyes decide what looks "on". And so the actual shot line influences what my eyes tell me is "on". But I don't think that is accurate either, because the system works equally well with shots where the shot line and/or pocket is completely out of the visual shot picture. Such as banks and long cuts. Or curtain shots. I can also take a specific CB/OB orientation and reset the balls to go through all the perceptions and find the pockets without even thinking about what pocket I'm aiming for, I just focus on the system.
Firstly, I respect that you as a proponent have never taken your exuberant fervor down into the attack the messenger & personal insults realm.

Secondly, It is good & I thank you for acknowledging Science & Reasonable, Rational, Cognitive Logic.

However, the things that you have said & are saying here do not in any manner do away with the reality of science.

Multiple sets of shots with the 2 balls an equal distance apart can only yield the same lines between the defined points & can only yield one bisecting line between them if the directions are followed objectively. Hence only one outcome angle can be achieved if the defined pivot is done & straight stroke is delivered to center cue ball relative to the line of the stick.

It is rather easy to be fooled into doing something different if one is focused on a predetermined outcome & science says that such must be happening if you & others say that you are doing the same thing & yet getting a different outcome angle. That can NOT be the reality. It is just that simple.

So, what is the reality regarding those who are supposedly using CTE successfully. There have been suggestions made over the years that have been refused to be acknowledge by the side you are on. Currently Dan White & BC21 have made suggestions & Dan White seems to be investigating what specifically you are doing in order to get a different outcome angle via supposedly doing the same thing.

For the same separation between the balls to get a different outcome angle using the 2 lines between the defined points requires that something different has been done. The suggestion or claim of some visual phenomena is bogus.

Looking at 2 spheres(balls) the same distance apart with lines between the defined points on those spheres anywhere in The Universe those lines along with the bisecting line between them will be in the same places relative to the spheres/balls.
For balls a certain distance apart, with the defined pivot a 15 inside = a particular outcome angle & that angle will be the same regardless of where the balls are on the table IF the procedure is followed objectively & not subjectively. It really is that simple.

There was/is a lot of talk about the rails & pockets & curtains. None of that matters. For a set of 2 balls with the same distance of separation between them the defined points on the balls & the lines between those points remain the same no matter where those balls are put as does the bisecting line between them. There is no visual phenomena that makes human beings see them in any other orientation as long as they are not twisted onto some other plane other than the horizontal plane upon which they sit & the human being remains in the vertical alignment.

FYI, The picture of what we see is actually up side down on the retina of our eye & it is our brain that reverses that image so that we have the correct picture of the reality in our minds eye. Light travels in a straight line & is only bent when traveling gravity free & then affected by the enormous gravity of a planet, etc. before it leaves that gravitational field on a slightly different angle. That does not happen on the planet when light is under the constant affect of gravity.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I figured this would be coming as I have seen it done to others. I am not new to the 'party'. I have been reading AZB for many years if not a full decade or more. I mostly only read the Instructors Forum & this Aiming Forum. I look in on the Main Forum, but I have no interest in most of what is there. Since I am now retired, I joined to be a member for the specific purpose of being able to post in the two other forums.

I have seen the back & forth between the 2 sides regarding CTE for a long time. So why would my first post not be in either the Aiming or Instructors forums? I mainly became a member to try to help those telling the Scientific truth about CTE & discuss aiming in general & the more common issues that come up in the Instructors Forum.

Those telling the scientific truth about the reality of the science have done a fairly good job at that & for doing so they have continually gotten hit with the attack the messenger tactic. Your post to me is a somewhat light version of that. Why can't you & others of the pro CTEers simply stay on the topic of the the reality of the science regarding the subject matter?

I have seen many of Mr. Shuffett's old videos including his 5 shots video & some of his new ones. None of that changes the Reality of Science.

So again, Why do you refuse to talk about the Science of Geometry as it relates to the topic?

What you & others, including Mr. Shuffett, say about the the same = different is simply not possible via any objective manner.
You are right. My bad. Welcome to AZ. Great to have you.

You want to talk science and geometry ? Ok You start. How exactly does CTE not live up to the science and geography. It would be helpful to have some specifics instead of an opinion.

Also, please state your experience with CTE so we know your words are valid and not from the keyboard.