A request to see a cue build

daimion

Something Clever...
Silver Member
Hey there all! I would like to inquire if anyone has links to threads that contain photos of the cue building process from beginning to end? I am quite interested in seeing the building process start to finish. As im sure many others are. Thanks for your time!

daimion

Something Clever...
Silver Member
Joey that i have seen before. But im asking more towards the reference of builders here on AZ. Saw a post several months ago never tagged it. And it seems my searching prowess isnt as strong as previously thought. Looking for like a photo portfolio of the entire process.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Your best bet would be to search threads started by these 2 cuemaker/Azer, Scdiveteam and hillscues.

These two gentlemen are generous about educating average joes like me on how they build their cues with step by step pictures. You won't be disappointed.

daimion

Something Clever...
Silver Member
great suggestion jive! thanks a lot! and ill still accept any links to aforementioned info!!!

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many different approaches to cuebuilding. I don't think you're going to find anyone that shows the process from beginning to end in a single thread. Most of the "how-to" videos can't show everything in one DVD.

I have posted photos, videos and links under "How veneers are used in cues" on my website. Following those links will lead you to more information on other sites as well.

Rick Geschrey of Esoteric cues has put up a number of photos of his building process on single-core cues and Darrin Hill of Hill's Cues has posted his full-splice technique on this site. Bob Flynn of Denali cues also shows his single-core process on his website.

daimion

Something Clever...
Silver Member
thanks for all responses and links everyone! and i wasn't looking for anything specific just enjoy seeing stuff come together from random to finished product!

pwmike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue build

That was neat video. That would be similar to the way Schon builds their cues.

97Buick22

Go Blackhawks!
Silver Member
Not long ago cuemaking was seen as a very special art that was kept secret by many famous cuemakers. If you wanted to learn you had to figure it out yourself or apprentace under a established maker. I remember when I started and had no forums or help, just Chris Hightowers book and my tool & die backround. Boy times have changed in the last 10 years.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Not long ago cuemaking was seen as a very special art that was kept secret by many famous cuemakers. If you wanted to learn you had to figure it out yourself or apprentice under a established maker. I remember when I started and had no forums or help, just Chris Hightowers book and my tool & die backround. Boy times have changed in the last 10 years.

I worked as an observer and an apprentice for nearly two years before I even bought my first lathe ( an old Logan ). Then it took me a while to finally make a cue I could sell. It took some time just to rebuild the lathe. It took a while just get the taper dialed in. I hated the stock taper that came with first taper machine I had. Some just go with the taper that come with the machine and don't even know the numbers.
Daimion, if you really want to learn, go buy a metal lathe and start making scrap. Buy an old metal lathe if you are on a budget and re-build it.
If you don't have the heart to re-build an old lathe, you probably won't have the heart to build a cue. Cue making will make you cry a few dozen times ( if not hundreds of times ) and question why you even got into that mess.
Buying a metal lathe would be a good gut check now.

daimion

Something Clever...
Silver Member
I made this post strictly with the intention of seeing random pieces turn into a functional piece of art. I have no interest in making cues. Those who obviously felt comfortable with sharing at one point or another, have done so. And i appreciate that and them for their craft and expertise. As it might be their primary source of income or not, i can respect the secrecy kept. Information volunteered is another thing entirely :)

daimion

Something Clever...
Silver Member
thank you guys for your addition to the post! i enjoy seeing things come together!

daimion

Something Clever...
Silver Member
that is a stunning haley! awesome box work also! great addition to the thread thanks a ton!