a sore loser?

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was in this morning's news..... I think they took the game a bit too seriously...but then it was at the 'Looney Bin'......:confused:

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/19005094.html

A fight over a game of pool ended with gunfire early this morning at a northeast Wichita comedy club.

Shortly before 2 a.m., a group of men began fighting over the game inside the Loony Bin, but then ventured outside in the parking lot.

Outside, a pair of men opened fire on a man in his late 20's, said Wichita Police Lt. Walker Andrews.

But before police arrived, the man ran to an apartment complex north of the club to escape the men and waited for EMS to arrived.

The man was taken to the hospital in serious condition with two gunshot wounds in his leg.

Police are searching for the two suspects. If you have any information, call police.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the '70s when I used to go on the road playing pool with a road agent, so to speak, I always wanted to hit all the bars down South to look for action.

Interestingly, my counterpart always hated playing pool in bars and would rather play in pool rooms where no alcohol is served. The reason is that gambling and alcohol don't mix. Fights always seem to erupt when people are gambling and drinking.

This incident at the Looney Bin -- what a name?! :eek: -- seems to be an example of just that.

Even today, I would much rather be in a pool room where no alcohol is served. I enjoy this atmosphere much better than a bar.

Most pool players, those who want to get in action, don't drink alcohol anyway. They're sucking on their H20 bottles.

Of course, in my case, there is always one glaring exception! :eek:

JAM

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
gabesmom said:
This was in this morning's news..... I think they took the game a bit too seriously...but then it was at the 'Looney Bin'......:confused:

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/19005094.html

A fight over a game of pool ended with gunfire early this morning at a northeast Wichita comedy club.

Shortly before 2 a.m., a group of men began fighting over the game inside the Loony Bin, but then ventured outside in the parking lot.

Outside, a pair of men opened fire on a man in his late 20's, said Wichita Police Lt. Walker Andrews.

But before police arrived, the man ran to an apartment complex north of the club to escape the men and waited for EMS to arrived.

The man was taken to the hospital in serious condition with two gunshot wounds in his leg.

Police are searching for the two suspects. If you have any information, call police.

lol, people getting out of line at "the looney bin"? Go figure. Gabe and I played some less than savory characters at a bar in Athens one time and Gabe broke and ran 5 straight racks of 8 ball. Our opponents didn't even get to shoot. We were playing for $20 a rack/each and thought the guys might be ticked off thinking we hustled them by bringing in a ringer. They didn't want to play against Bruce B because they knew him so they had a choice between Gabe and Corey, lol. They paid and we went to another bar. Good Times.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the '70s, I had a gun pulled out on me in Dalton, Georgia. Back then, it was legal for locals to carry guns on their person. I was side-betting with a local fellow. My road partner was playing against the local's friend on a bar table.

I was very frightened and began to cry. The bartender saw what happened and told me not to worry, that he would walk me and my friend out to our car. The bartender told the local that he had too much to drink and that he should leave.

I had visions of getting shot in my head as we traversed our way in the parking lot to our vehicle. It is the longest 100 yards I have ever walked.

When the D.C. sniper hit my area, I was reminded of this incident. I stayed home a lot during the sniper era. I made Keith pump all the gas at the gas stations. :eek:

JAM

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Not surprising

Kathy,
I can't help but wonder if the newspaper would have better described what happened as "Fight erupts DURING pool game" rather than "over" because that would make more sense.

There are a few certain people who seem compelled to run their mouth. Not playful woofing, but run their mouth as in always butting in with sarcastic or caustic comments, always being negative, etc. Always, as in not just having a bad or off day, it's who they ARE. They're misfits. Most like that are proud that they don't belong, even though the reality is nobody would WANT them as a friend anyway.

I like almost everybody and really cherish friendships & I try real hard to be as nice as I can possibly be to everyone, even strangers. But, even guys like me who have loads of patience sometimes are FORCED to "do things" because of a very small % of guys who are basically bullies who just pick & pick & think they can do anything or say anything and nothing's ever going to be done to them. Talking & reasoning don't work with guys like that. For example, I'm thinking of one AZB member in particular that I would love to meet in person to see if he's the same way then as he is when hunkered down over a keyboard. If I'm ever lucky enough to "bump into" him, we're for sure going to find out.
And I know it's bad to even talk like that, but if "normal" ??? :)eek: ) people like me even have these thoughts....what about those who don't have as much restraint?

What should happen to the guy that JAM mentioned, who pulled a gun on a girl! (Sorry, I mean very nice lady:) ) No excuse for a guy like that & there should be no questions about what has to happen to him after he does something like that.

Seriously, I think the papers like to put the words "Pool Hall" into their police blotter or police section to help make the story sound seemier. And the opposite effect would be "Gunfire erupts over golf game", which would attempt to shock the reader over mayhem happening over a "cultured gentlemen's game". Seems like if it nvolves any sporting event, it makes more news than if it just happened in someone's house.

The bottom line is all it takes is one jerk messing around with somebody who, how to put this delicately......well, was the wrong person to have messed around with:D .

That's as "politically correct" as I can put it. Perhaps my esteemed & venerated pal JohnnyT could possibly chime in to help further explain some of the machinations that typically result in ambulances being called to pool rooms.:eek: He knows so much about this subject that he could right a book! Oh wait, he already did! :D http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=node=154606011&field-keywords=pms+with+guns

Kathy, please keep us posted on the outcome if possible. And thanks for posting that info.

Reactions: JAM

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
As a former nurse one thing always comes to mind when I read or hear these things. Why and the hell don't they shoot each other in the head. Are they bad shots or just legmen. Shoot them anywhere but the head and some poor overworked nurse has to put up with and take care of them. Johnnyt

PS. I have a true story about the FBI coming outside one of my patient/bank robbers rooms...but it's not pool related.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Johnnyt said:
As a former nurse one thing always comes to mind when I read or hear these things. Why and the hell don't they shoot each other in the head. Are they bad shots or just legmen. Shoot them anywhere but the head and some poor overworked nurse has to put up with and take care of them. Johnnyt

PS. I have a true story about the FBI coming outside one of my patient/bank robbers rooms...but it's not pool related.

I ain't wet my pants since I was about 2. I almost did just now!:eek:
You're incredible! My man......

Awesome post John. Thank you!

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Johnnyt said:

That even beats the "paying the biker chick $50.00" to pop somebody" story!

We need to contact HBO or SHOWTIME to see if they can get a mini-series going about your life & views. That would get you more money than even if we hit the powerball in corvette's lottery-post celebration thread!

And you made sure to sign your name to your post!
That really was a good one!:D

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
corvette1340 said:
lol, people getting out of line at "the looney bin"? Go figure. Gabe and I played some less than savory characters at a bar in Athens one time and Gabe broke and ran 5 straight racks of 8 ball. Our opponents didn't even get to shoot. We were playing for $20 a rack/each and thought the guys might be ticked off thinking we hustled them by bringing in a ringer. They didn't want to play against Bruce B because they knew him so they had a choice between Gabe and Corey, lol. They paid and we went to another bar. Good Times.

Yeah, the name of the comedy club is funny!

Thanks for the road story. I've heard a few from Gabe, but clearly only a small fraction. I probably don't want to know about most! :eek:

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terry Ardeno said:
Kathy,
I can't help but wonder if the newspaper would have better described what happened as "Fight erupts DURING pool game" rather than "over" because that would make more sense.

There are a few certain people who seem compelled to run their mouth. Not playful woofing, but run their mouth as in always butting in with sarcastic or caustic comments, always being negative, etc. Always, as in not just having a bad or off day, it's who they ARE. They're misfits. Most like that are proud that they don't belong, even though the reality is nobody would WANT them as a friend anyway.

I like almost everybody and really cherish friendships & I try real hard to be as nice as I can possibly be to everyone, even strangers. But, even guys like me who have loads of patience sometimes are FORCED to "do things" because of a very small % of guys who are basically bullies who just pick & pick & think they can do anything or say anything and nothing's ever going to be done to them. Talking & reasoning don't work with guys like that. For example, I'm thinking of one AZB member in particular that I would love to meet in person to see if he's the same way then as he is when hunkered down over a keyboard. If I'm ever lucky enough to "bump into" him, we're for sure going to find out.
And I know it's bad to even talk like that, but if "normal" ??? :)eek: ) people like me even have these thoughts....what about those who don't have as much restraint?

What should happen to the guy that JAM mentioned, who pulled a gun on a girl! (Sorry, I mean very nice lady:) ) No excuse for a guy like that & there should be no questions about what has to happen to him after he does something like that.

Seriously, I think the papers like to put the words "Pool Hall" into their police blotter or police section to help make the story sound seemier. And the opposite effect would be "Gunfire erupts over golf game", which would attempt to shock the reader over mayhem happening over a "cultured gentlemen's game". Seems like if it nvolves any sporting event, it makes more news than if it just happened in someone's house.

The bottom line is all it takes is one jerk messing around with somebody who, how to put this delicately......well, was the wrong person to have messed around with:D .

That's as "politically correct" as I can put it. Perhaps my esteemed & venerated pal JohnnyT could possibly chime in to help further explain some of the machinations that typically result in ambulances being called to pool rooms.:eek: He knows so much about this subject that he could right a book! Oh wait, he already did! :D http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=node=154606011&field-keywords=pms+with+guns

Kathy, please keep us posted on the outcome if possible. And thanks for posting that info.
You're right. The fight could have been over something else, like what you said. It will probably be on tonight's news, and may explain more. Who knows, they could have argued over a girl, or which came first - the chicken or the egg, while playing pool. But then, it could have been over the 'rack' or something. :confused:
Whatever it was, made someone mad enough to pull the guns out!:eek: