Accu-Stats Invitational!!! Dress Code?

What's the proper dress code?

• Total voters

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Looks like the fans are going to "Make It Happen".... 6 players, chosen by the fans, round robin.... 8ball... Alternating breaks...

The one question I don't think they are asking is from a fan's perspective what would you want to see for a dress code?

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Looks like the fans are going to "Make It Happen".... 6 players, chosen by the fans, round robin.... 8ball... Alternating breaks...

The one question I don't think they are asking is from a fan's perspective what would you want to see for a dress code?

Jeans and a collared shirt are ok with me as are the dress pants and a collard shirt. In my opinion there is no need to make the guys play in a vest. If a vest is required, they should require a vest with a full back as opposed to it hooking at the back of the neck and with a strap around the lower back as is the popular choice for vests with a tux.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I didn't vote. To me, it would all depend on what the room temperature is going to be in the room. The warmer the room, the more inclined I am to let them wear what they want.

Maniac

Last edited:

thommy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My preference would be for the slacks and dress shirts. I just like the old school look. but i voted for jeans and a collared shirt because I sure as hell don't want to see ripped sweat pants:angry:

Murdoch7627

Frank Reid aka "Fly Man"
Silver Member
I think there is a more important question. That is, what dress code would best promote professional pool in the USA and give Mr. Fleming's concept the best chance of attracting major sponsors and national television?

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This dress code nonsense has been going on for years in professional pool events. Making pool players dress business casual or even wear tuxedos in an effort to bullshit the public and create some fictitious image.

It's done nothing to help pool.

Like Minnesota Fats said, "Putting a tuxedo on a pool player is like putting ice cream on a hot dog."

Its a professional event, they should dress like professionals.

I voted black pants,black shoes,dress shirt and vest.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
This dress code nonsense has been going on for years in professional pool events. Making pool players dress business casual or even wear tuxedos in an effort to bullshit the public and create some fictitious image.

It's done nothing to help pool.

Like Minnesota Fats said, "Putting a tuxedo on a pool player is like putting ice cream on a hot dog."

Image is everything

Fats never promoted anyone or anything but himself.....

Barry Hearn and a few others worked hard to get player recognition and snooker on the map in the UK turning it into a professional sport.....

Based on the pictures below I bet you could guess who made more if you knew nothing about the games or players....

ronnie-o-sullivan-image-2-304576064.jpg Won over $323,000 at the Crucible this year

2011USOpenD2TakaoTakayamaChampionDarrenAppleton4.jpg Won $30,000 for his US Open win arguably the most prestigious title in pool

Pool needs an image over haul in a bad way.... The players don't look any different than the fans when they are out in the hallways...

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Since pool is an "on your feet" game, dunno if I like the black dress shoes requirement. Comfort should take precedence over style with shoes. I think slacks, polo shirt, etc. perfectly acceptable. Sort of like golfers wear on TV?

Murdoch7627

Frank Reid aka "Fly Man"
Silver Member
Image is everything

Barry Hearn and a few others worked hard to get player recognition and snooker on the map in the UK turning it into a professional sport.....

Based on the pictures below I bet you could guess who made more if you knew nothing about the games or players....

View attachment 225500 Won over $323,000 at the Crucible this year

View attachment 225501 Won $30,000 for his US Open win arguably the most prestigious title in pool

Pool needs an image over haul in a bad way.... The players don't look any different than the fans when they are out in the hallways...

Great Post - even with pictures to help. It is a shame that many in the US pool world still don't get it and many never will.

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's true and I'm not a big admirer of his. Still, I agree with fats in that "putting a tuxedo on a pool player is like putting ice cream on a hot dog."

Maybe you've been watching too many Sprite commercials. Dress codes ain't ever done shit for pool, nor will they ever.
Image is everything

Was the dress code the key contributing factor in doing that? I think not.

That is really bad logic. I could post pictures of professional 9-ball players wearing tuxedos, and it proves absolutely nothing.

View attachment 225500 Won over $323,000 at the Crucible this year

View attachment 225501 Won $30,000 for his US Open win arguably the most prestigious title in pool

The dress code has been tried for years for this purpose, and it doesn't work. Creating some bullshit image for pool never has and never will be an effective way to help the game.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Just think how much more money professional golfers would make if they dressed like snooker players on the golf course.

Murdoch7627

Frank Reid aka "Fly Man"
Silver Member
"Dress codes ain't ever done shit for pool, nor will they ever."

Thanks for proving my point. Some will never get it and you are indeed one of those. Those who say it can't be done should at least get out of the way of those who are doing it. Thank you again, Mr. Fleming, for trying to improve the image of pool and trying to plant the seeds for a professional tour in the USA with both a dress code and a shot clock. Your concept is the only hope for a USA professional pool tour that has the possibility of getting national exposure and "big time" sponsors

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
Equipment Question, too...

Along the same lines, I would like to see a poll on the balls to be used. I prefer the regular pattern solid and stripe balls (traditional), but I believe Accu-Stats is planning on using the red/yellow balls without any numbers (or stripes) and either a black or zebra stripe 8-ball. I would create the poll myself, but not sure how to do so yet...

This would be the same type of set used in an Exhibition this year at the DCC with Brandon Shuff and another player whose name escapes me at this moment.

Thanks for any opinions on this matter, or possibly a separate poll if anyone is so inclined to create...if so, I will ensure Pat receives the results.

Much respect.

~Razor

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
My vote is for Dress Slacks color of choice, Dress Shirt or Polo color to complement the Slacks, and Soft Soled Dress Shoes designed for people on their feet all day "Dockers has a very nice line".

Image is everything, and the sport could use an Image boost. Most Older People only know the Old Image and that's what is Real to Them. Golf's Image is what it is because people have alway's seen it portrayed how it is on Television. However I'm sure there is alot of pool being played by a whole bunch of people in the country club's but the general public will never see those same respectable people enjoying the game we love.

Black Cat:cool:

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as accu-stats doesn't use those horrible looking elephant billiard balls that they used last time, I don't think it would make that much of a difference what balls they use. I loved everything about about the accu-stats 2001 8-ball invitational tournament. I particularly hated that god awful elephant 8-ball with the white spiral design on it.

Along the same lines, I would like to see a poll on the balls to be used. I prefer the regular pattern solid and stripe balls (traditional), but I believe Accu-Stats is planning on using the red/yellow balls without any numbers (or stripes) and either a black or zebra stripe 8-ball. I would create the poll myself, but not sure how to do so yet...

This would be the same type of set used in an Exhibition this year at the DCC with Brandon Shuff and another player whose name escapes me at this moment.

Thanks for any opinions on this matter, or possibly a separate poll if anyone is so inclined to create...if so, I will ensure Pat receives the results.

Much respect.

~Razor

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
Edit: Off-topic. I will see if I am smart enough to create another poll/thread regarding the red/yellow/zebra eight ball vs. regular balls.

Last edited:

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pay a little homage to the greats of yesteryear. Black pants and vest. And use the traditional balls. None of that red/yellow crap. This is pool mister.