Advice for Grady Mathews & Other Promoters

Spade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been following these threads and posts about UPA, Charlie Williams, Dragon Promotions.

I think its interesting that Charlie or Dragon Promotions never respond to these "bashing" posts and threads

Also, it's interesting despite some of the hardcore people on this forum adamant on the "evils" of Williams or Dragon, that he seems to just keep getting bigger and bigger and gaining more ground and success of any other in modern pool today.

Obviously they have more fans and supporters than detractors, otherwise they would be out of business I imagine. I think if I was Grady or another promoter on this forum, I would watch would I would say and post because i doubt sponsors and corporate America would want to support an entity that reacts emotionally and handles their affairs this way in public.

Despite Charlie's young age, it amazes me that he has this kind of wisdom when compared to people who are twice his age.

So whether you love him or hate him, the kid is successful and has billard industry and corporate businesses and TV networks behind him. All the things that other promoters want and wish they had.

So taking some notes and a page out of Charlie/DP's book may be a smart move.

PS I'll probably get bashed like ive seen by the forum regulars, but I've come to understand that many (sorry to say this) "normal" people with "common sense" don't like to post on here because it's a no win situation when it comes to certain topics. I, as many of my friends do, completely support Charlie & Dragon for what they have done and continue to do for our beloved sport.
 
Last edited:
Spade said:
I've been following these threads and posts about UPA, Charlie Williams, Dragon Promotions.

I think its interesting that Charlie or Dragon Promotions never respond to these "bashing" posts and threads

Also, it's interesting despite some of the hardcore people on this forum adamant on the "evils" of Williams or Dragon, that he seems to just keep getting bigger and bigger and gaining more ground and success of any other in modern pool today.

Obviously they have more fans and supporters than detractors, otherwise they would be out of business I imagine. I think if I was Grady or another promoter on this forum, I would watch would I would say and post because i doubt sponsors and corporate America would want to support an entity that reacts emotionally and handles their affairs this way in public.

Despite Charlie's young age, it amazes me that he has this kind of wisdom when compared to people who are twice his age.

So whether you love him or hate him, the kid is successful and has billard industry and corporate businesses and TV networks behind him. All the things that other promoters want and wish they had.

So taking some notes and a page out of Charlie/DP's book may be a smart move.

Oh boy......here we go again.

Southpaw
 
Southpaw said:
Oh boy......here we go again.

Southpaw

LOL sorry, wasn't try to start any fussing.
I think being more low key when it comes to these topics would be better as a businessman. If he has problems with Charlie, he should talk to him first before blasting him behind his back in a public forum.

I like to see Grady get his due and succeed in his ventures as well. I just feel he needs to have the right intentions and a genuine heart. Not promoting event to spite someone.
 
Spade said:
I've been following these threads and posts about UPA, Charlie Williams, Dragon Promotions.

I think its interesting that Charlie or Dragon Promotions never respond to these "bashing" posts and threads
Also, it's interesting despite some of the hardcore people on this forum adamant on the "evils" of Williams or Dragon, that he seems to just keep getting bigger and bigger and gaining more ground and success of any other in modern pool today.

Obviously they have more fans and supporters than detractors, otherwise they would be out of business I imagine. I think if I was Grady or another promoter on this forum, I would watch would I would say and post because i doubt sponsors and corporate America would want to support an entity that reacts emotionally and handles their affairs this way in public.
Despite Charlie's young age, it amazes me that he has this kind of wisdom when compared to people who are twice his age.

So whether you love him or hate him, the kid is successful and has billard industry and corporate businesses and TV networks behind him. All the things that other promoters want and wish they had.

So taking some notes and a page out of Charlie/DP's book may be a smart move.
PS I'll probably get bashed like ive seen by the forum regulars, but I've come to understand that many (sorry to say this) "normal" people with "common sense" don't like to post on here because it's a no win situation when it comes to certain topics. I, as many of my friends do, completely support Charlie & Dragon for what they have done and continue to do for our beloved sport.

And the sole purpose of your thread is to ...?

I guess that the same lessons can, and should, also be learned and practiced by others as well.:rolleyes:



Jimmy
 
Spade said:
I've been following these threads and posts about UPA, Charlie Williams, Dragon Promotions.

I think its interesting that Charlie or Dragon Promotions never respond to these "bashing" posts and threads

Also, it's interesting despite some of the hardcore people on this forum adamant on the "evils" of Williams or Dragon, that he seems to just keep getting bigger and bigger and gaining more ground and success of any other in modern pool today.

Obviously they have more fans and supporters than detractors, otherwise they would be out of business I imagine. I think if I was Grady or another promoter on this forum, I would watch would I would say and post because i doubt sponsors and corporate America would want to support an entity that reacts emotionally and handles their affairs this way in public.

.

it is the god-given right of every pool player to whine and b!tch as they see fit. :)
 
The purpose of the thread is to help.
also to point out some truths about conducting business and who/what is harming and hurting pool
 
Spade said:
The purpose of the thread is to help.
also to point out some truths about conducting business and who/what is harming and hurting pool

You forgot your 'IMO'.

Everybody has one.
 
I am gonna keep my nose mostly out of this one, but.....

People say lots of things about Charlie, I can't comment on most of that because I don't know the details of their individual situations.

I do know this. Charlie and Cindy Lee work their asses off to put these events on. They have some help for sure, but if they just walked away tomorrow (which sounds like it may happen) pool in the US will be worse not better.

This stands for all promoters of game: Janis, Zuglan, Berhman, Grady. One thing they all have in common is that somewhere out there is someone who is convinced they are evil and bad for pool. :D That happens when you DO things instead of just talk about things other people DO.
 
other thread

Spade said:
I've been following these threads and posts about UPA, Charlie Williams, Dragon Promotions.

I think its interesting that Charlie or Dragon Promotions never respond to these "bashing" posts and threads

Also, it's interesting despite some of the hardcore people on this forum adamant on the "evils" of Williams or Dragon, that he seems to just keep getting bigger and bigger and gaining more ground and success of any other in modern pool today.

Obviously they have more fans and supporters than detractors, otherwise they would be out of business I imagine. I think if I was Grady or another promoter on this forum, I would watch would I would say and post because i doubt sponsors and corporate America would want to support an entity that reacts emotionally and handles their affairs this way in public.

Despite Charlie's young age, it amazes me that he has this kind of wisdom when compared to people who are twice his age.

So whether you love him or hate him, the kid is successful and has billard industry and corporate businesses and TV networks behind him. All the things that other promoters want and wish they had.

So taking some notes and a page out of Charlie/DP's book may be a smart move.

PS I'll probably get bashed like ive seen by the forum regulars, but I've come to understand that many (sorry to say this) "normal" people with "common sense" don't like to post on here because it's a no win situation when it comes to certain topics. I, as many of my friends do, completely support Charlie & Dragon for what they have done and continue to do for our beloved sport.

First , there is a recent thread from Randy G, I think in response to Grady's thread.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=71789

Second, like they say this is IMO and everyone has one, BTW I am a player/fan/railbird that saw a few of the greats play, mostly years ago. Most of what I have learned about the various pool orgs. I have learned from reading on here, but to get to my point, I have seen and read about Grady Mathews' contribution to the game for 30 years. Don't know him personally. I think the fact that he has made a significant contribution, over many years, is unimpeachable, and makes him due some respect.

I don't know much about Charlie or Randy G. but the tone of RG's thread seemed to be 'my way or the highway', 'take it or leave it', to Men's U.S. professional pool players. I know this is a 'What have you done for me lately' world and everyone can lineup with whomever they choose.

I'll leave it at that and just wish Grady all the luck in the world with any future endeavors in the pool world.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JAM
JCIN said:
I am gonna keep my nose mostly out of this one, but.....

People say lots of things about Charlie, I can't comment on most of that because I don't know the details of their individual situations.

I do know this. Charlie and Cindy Lee work their asses off to put these events on. They have some help for sure, but if they just walked away tomorrow (which sounds like it may happen) pool in the US will be worse not better.

This stands for all promoters of game: Janis, Zuglan, Berhman, Grady. One thing they all have in common is that somewhere out there is someone who is convinced they are evil and bad for pool. :D That happens when you DO things instead of just talk about things other people DO.

Sanity at last
I totally agree. (I take it back, there are normal people here that post)
 
speaking in general terms, you get out of something about what you put into it, unless you have bad luck or something, a positive attitude and smart hard work is the trick, no matter who does what in bussiness, promotions, etc.
 
Back
Top