After 17 years...

Bman8910

Registered
.. I finally got the bug to play again! I was into the game heavy for about 15 years and then got burnt out, married and quit. Now I am divorced and all the time in the world to play, so I got that going for me...lol.

I am amazed at the number of custom cue makers and all the different equipment available today. If someone asked me what kind of shaft or tip I wanted, I would be lost. The go too back in the day was a Triangle and a linen ferrule, lol. I have been reading this forum for 4 weeks and still feel like a damn newbie to the game.

I live 15 minutes from Shooters in Olathe, KS so I am lucky to have a place with good equipment close by!

Observations so far...
- The matching up and adjusting bs has not changed much.I'm older now and fade it much better.
- Evidently when you book a decent loser it isn"t a given that your pool time will be paid.
- Learned that when racking your own, the 9 on the break in the 2 closest corners does not count. Never used to play rack your own, but I sort of like it.
- Shopping for a good playing cue and always wanted a SW years ago. South West evidently is filling the middle of their cues with gold nowadays... jesus
- My back muscles are not what they used to be... about 5-6 hours and my stance goes to shit. This is getting better though.

I will be posting from time to time and basically wanted to say hello. I am sure I know a handful of members if anyone here played in St. Louis 20 years ago.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Welcome Back!

.. I finally got the bug to play again! I was into the game heavy for about 15 years and then got burnt out, married and quit. Now I am divorced and all the time in the world to play, so I got that going for me...lol.

I am amazed at the number of custom cue makers and all the different equipment available today. If someone asked me what kind of shaft or tip I wanted, I would be lost. The go too back in the day was a Triangle and a linen ferrule, lol. I have been reading this forum for 4 weeks and still feel like a damn newbie to the game.

I live 15 minutes from Shooters in Olathe, KS so I am lucky to have a place with good equipment close by!

Observations so far...
- The matching up and adjusting bs has not changed much.I'm older now and fade it much better.
- Evidently when you book a decent loser it isn"t a given that your pool time will be paid.
- Learned that when racking your own, the 9 on the break in the 2 closest corners does not count. Never used to play rack your own, but I sort of like it.
- Shopping for a good playing cue and always wanted a SW years ago. South West evidently is filling the middle of their cues with gold nowadays... jesus
- My back muscles are not what they used to be... about 5-6 hours and my stance goes to shit. This is getting better though.

I will be posting from time to time and basically wanted to say hello. I am sure I know a handful of members if anyone here played in St. Louis 20 years ago.

Welcome back,
I did the pool retirement a few times myself I quit in 1983 reemerged for 8 months in 93 and then it was 2005 and Ive been in it since.

When you quit for a long period you find out you have lost some things I did. When I played in 83 I still had it all. When I played in 93 for 8 months I would warm the gamblers up and then they started hunting me and I decided then I didnt have anything I wanted to lose and I quit again but I had all of my old game. In 2005 was a different story and I was working a lot but I got it back and it will come back in time be patient and welcome back.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
17 years?
What a coincidence....that's the last time Shane didn't make a ball on the break.

Welcome back

Rookie33

Registered
I'm in the same boat myself. After an 11 year absence a lot has changed. I'm currently using a Predator SP w/Katana shaft, but find myself looking at russ espiritu custom cues making a wish list for next year.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, Rookie33...what room do you play out of? I play mostly at Crooked Cue, when I'm in town, but I'm familiar with all the other rooms too. We should get together and play some! I'm always up for meeting AzBr's! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I'm in the same boat myself. After an 11 year absence a lot has changed. I'm currently using a Predator SP w/Katana shaft, but find myself looking at russ espiritu custom cues making a wish list for next year.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

Getting married sucks. Congratulations on the divorce, and on getting back in the game!

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
You definitely found the right site to hangout at.
Whatever you do.. Don't buy any pre-flag masters chalk!

There are some super good guys and gals that hangout here.

Rob.M

-

Observations so far...

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Observations so far...

Welcome back. I took 40 years off and have been back 10 months and am now an avid player again. The technology of the game has certainly changed. Your lucky to be near a good room. The landscape of good poolrooms has changed to say the least. I am lucky like that too with a great room and good players near by. As far as stamina: hit the gym regardless of your age. Resistance training will be like money in your pocket when it comes to stamina.

qfans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
17 years

Welcome back, you're in a good town for pool, I can tell you there is at least 1 tourney a nite somewhere in KC. I took up pool in my early 40's as I couldn't play sports as much as my body told me! Lots of 9 ball here Mondays SP North Englewood, Tues Brass Rail 8 ball, Weds Red Balloon, Thurs 9 ball Brass Rail. Weekends Flamingo and Dirty Bird, Stix n Stones and Shooters Olathe. Bi weekly KC Rated run by Doug Patrick and monthly Fridays 3rd Friday Blue Springs SP and 4th Friday Whiskey Doubles at One Eyed Jacks and I believe Shooters Olathe is now doing monthly Friday tourneys. Have some fun and good luck, better get a jumper for 9 ball now, big disadvantage if you don't have one an are somewhat proficient at it. I run the Brass Rail tourneys and the 9 ball competition we had last week was pretty respectable as is Monday SP's competition. Enjoy qfans Todd W

Bman8910

Registered
Welcome back. I took 40 years off and have been back 10 months and am now an avid player again. The technology of the game has certainly changed. Your lucky to be near a good room. The landscape of good poolrooms has changed to say the least. I am lucky like that too with a great room and good players near by. As far as stamina: hit the gym regardless of your age. Resistance training will be like money in your pocket when it comes to stamina.

I agree with your statement about health. One of the main drivers of me picking the game back up is to improve my health. I have been a heavy drinker for years and I am using pool to keep me away from drinking. I am also on a serious diet and will be ramping my workouts up over the year.

Bman8910

Registered
Welcome back, you're in a good town for pool, I can tell you there is at least 1 tourney a nite somewhere in KC. I took up pool in my early 40's as I couldn't play sports as much as my body told me! Lots of 9 ball here Mondays SP North Englewood, Tues Brass Rail 8 ball, Weds Red Balloon, Thurs 9 ball Brass Rail. Weekends Flamingo and Dirty Bird, Stix n Stones and Shooters Olathe. Bi weekly KC Rated run by Doug Patrick and monthly Fridays 3rd Friday Blue Springs SP and 4th Friday Whiskey Doubles at One Eyed Jacks and I believe Shooters Olathe is now doing monthly Friday tourneys. Have some fun and good luck, better get a jumper for 9 ball now, big disadvantage if you don't have one an are somewhat proficient at it. I run the Brass Rail tourneys and the 9 ball competition we had last week was pretty respectable as is Monday SP's competition. Enjoy qfans Todd W

Thanks for the info, I have seen most of those tournaments online. I am a B player and favor the open B events and sometimes handicapped 9 ball. I have a J/B cue and know how to use it :) I have known Doug for almost 30 years and I am currently playing with one of his cues. I have not played one of his tourneys yet, but he told me I play as a 7. Brass Rail is a pretty good drive from Lenexa, if I get over that way I will look you up...

Bman8910

Registered

I had an Espiritu back in the mid 90's... It played good!