Alright -- Spill the Beans on Tony Chohan

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's pretty common knowledge that Tony went on an extended vacation for a while and I figured when he returned it was going to take him a while to get back in stroke -- if he could get back in stroke at all.

Boy -- was I wrong! The guy came back playing lights out and some have said he's playing better than he ever has.

So -- I'm guessing he had something to play on during his time away. Has this question been asked of him and answered? My curiosity is getting the best of me here. Can you imagine if you had access to a table, any table, but you could only use it only under very strict guidelines? Talk about taking your time at the table seriously.

Someone needs to ask this question and a few follow-ups and then report back to me -- pronto!

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure Keith, who talked to him while he was away, said he played pretty regularly. I can't imagine the conditions to be ideal at all though. You'd think it would screw up his stroke, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I heard that he had daily access to an old 8-footer. Close enough to the real thing, obviously! He's a monster, hits the ball smooth and brings enough firepower to embarrass some seasoned professionals.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Prison has had a big influence on billiards for many years.

Captain Mingaud did some time ....and startled the billiard world.
....nobody had heard of a draw shot before.

T Rex has a better stroke than he had before he went in.

Toastie had a similar advantage in the German army...
...played every day with no outside distractions.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

Funny you mention that about army service in Germany.

My father was stationed in Germany and is now a terror at banking on a barbox. They played banks on the 6-foot tables prevalent through German bars, nightly.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member

and Louie while in the Air Force.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Pretty sure Keith, who talked to him while he was away, said he played pretty regularly. I can't imagine the conditions to be ideal at all though. You'd think it would screw up his stroke, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Does it screw up the stroke of the Filipinos and the conditions they play in on a regular basis?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
and Louie while in the Air Force.

Which brings to mind my favorite Louis Roberts quote....

An interviewer who was fascinated by Louie's outrageous gambling asked...
...."So what is your biggest loss?"
Louie says "Would you believe a down payment on an aircraft carrier?"

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not saying much since before the prime sub and carrier market crash, I'm pretty sure you could get either for zero down.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That's not saying much since before the prime sub and carrier market crash, I'm pretty sure you get either for zero down.

A little off-subject lesson?
Okay, point taken.

Tony got to hit balls....that's the most important thing...
...the playing conditions is a distant second.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So he definitely got to play. I wonder if the table was known as his and he played on it all the time? I can envision that being the case. The novelty of having a really great player around would even be interesting to those running the show.

I would love to know exactly what he played on and how often. So far we have one mention of a bar table and another of an 8 footer.