American Straight Pool Championship - Oct 19th to 23rd *free* live streaming

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the stream; not sure when anything more than whining happened. Certainly didn't seem to be any fisticuffs during the game.

He got tough on the 9 ball, didn't like it and just sat down on the next table moping for a minute. Then finally shot and missed and whined some more and Albin ran out and he eventually stalked off. (1:17:45)

He was steamed after getting a chance from here after some safeties: (1:28:39)

It happens after the match and you see Earl walk past the right side of the table back towards HL who is off screen.

If you’re suggesting it didn’t happen there was a room full of spectators who might beg to differ.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the ES thing, yes it’s true - I saw it happen.

He was playing AO and was pinned to rail. AO only needed a few balls to win and it appeared ES was just frustrated by the situation and lashed out at HL going over to him at the next table, shoving him and doing what appeared to be one of those old school swipe/kicks. I am told contact was made but I don’t believe it was serious.

ES stormed out of the tournament room making a ruckus and a quick investigation of the incident by the tournament officials followed resulting in ES being DQ with no monies awarded.

On a more positive note, the play has been exceptional with JF posting a 213, SVB a 210, and FG a 202. There is also some impressive play on the women’s side, with some old timers in attendance as well as many newer players, and I enjoyed doing commentary with BC for one of their matches.

Q-Masters is a great room, or I should say multiple rooms, with a beautiful tournament venue. I met PB last night, the thoroughly gracious founder and host of this event. And I’ve seen many familiar faces, including BJ, though I did not spot his infamous briefcase.

Lou Figueroa
Thanks for the first hand report!

I watched the stream of the earlier match "Konrad Juszczyszyn vs Earl Strickland" (link on p. 5 of this thread), and during the match Earl kept muttering about the players practicing on the table to the right of him. Finally, Earl threw down his cue and stalked off, presumably to complain to the TD about the annoyance. Earl came back, apparently unsuccessful in getting the practice players moved elsewhere, and he kept muttering things like, "Who are these guys?! They have no respect!" and giving long, hard looks at the players on the adjacent table. Eventually during the stream of Earl's match, the players on the adjacent table came into camera view as they walked around the table practicing. I recognized Joshua Filler, and I think the other player was Hunter Lombardo.

My thoughts on the match....Konrad Juszczyszyn's fast play made Earl's play seem slow and plodding. I was stunned that Earl was able to win that match because Konrad looked like he had way more talent. Anytime Earl had a long shot which he was trying to hit with some speed, I cringed because he invariably missed the shot. At one point in the match, there was a strange situation where Konrad fired in an easy combo with lots of speed, then spotted the pocketed ball and sat down, ceding the inning to Earl. I thought maybe Earl protested that Konrad never called which ball was to be pocketed. I replayed the shot about ten times before I was able to figure out what happened: a ball near Konrad's bridge hand moved. I thought I heard the tink of carbon, so either his cue hit the ball after the shot, or his hand hit the ball when he pulled his hand off the table.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gameplay is as choppy as the stream. filler has been letting kazakis off the hook a lot, and kazakis' response has been tentative breaks and missed shots. he missed ball in hand. very unlike alex. i think filler's gonna run away with it now

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tech guys have been working on it and think they have it fixed — Gorst v Szilnoki in 10.

Lou Figueroa

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
as it should be. Today, high school athletes do what would have been Olympic records of old. I would hope the players are getting better. If not there is something wrong.
There could be a different reason for that than you think. As you age, it appears that time moves faster right? Most people have chocked that up to having lived longer and it being relative to how long you live. However, It's quite possible that time is ACTUALLY moving faster. It's a much better explanation for some apparently anomalous data in science and is actually supported by the special theory of relativity. Imagine that time dilation is real AND that space/time is NOT infinite (which is kind of ridiculous anyways) but instead as the universe expands it stretches space/time. This would mean that as spacetime stretches, time speeds up. This could explain a continuous breaking of time based records from the past.

Jaden

freds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It happens after the match and you see Earl walk past the right side of the table back towards HL who is off screen.

If you’re suggesting it didn’t happen there was a room full of spectators who might beg to differ.

Lou Figueroa
No, not suggesting that. Some earlier comments had me thinking he'd left himself frozen to a ball w/no shot, lost it in the middle of the game, and got DQ'ed w/out finishing. It wasn't quite as dramatic as that; which is maybe worse since he had a couple minutes to cool off and remember he was already through to the next round anyway.

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Enjoying the heck out of this tournament, even with the occasional stream hiccups like this mornings.

The main? commentator does seem a little conflicted though, talking frequently about how great modern pros are, then a minute later talking about multiple legends of years past could destroy them in high runs. And then saying high runs are no big deal. 🤷‍♂️

geoff_182

There could be a different reason for that than you think. As you age, it appears that time moves faster right? Most people have chocked that up to having lived longer and it being relative to how long you live. However, It's quite possible that time is ACTUALLY moving faster. It's a much better explanation for some apparently anomalous data in science and is actually supported by the special theory of relativity. Imagine that time dilation is real AND that space/time is NOT infinite (which is kind of ridiculous anyways) but instead as the universe expands it stretches space/time. This would mean that as spacetime stretches, time speeds up. This could explain a continuous breaking of time based records from the past.

Jaden
If time was moving faster, then wouldn't recorded times be slower? (a larger number)