Any Daz vs earl updates?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Strange story, this one. This road agent and I were on the road, and he hooked up with a stakehorse, who happened to be a meat thief. This guy's wife and two kids would go into grocery stores and steal meat. I've never seen anything like it. At their apartment, they had meat lists, like 22 rib roasts, 12 filet mignon, et cetera. :embarrassed2:

Anyway, the meat thief was steering us to different places to gamble. I was very, very green when it came to laying down the lemon at this time in my life. In one joint, unbeknownst to me, my partner was laying down the lemon, playing badly, missing shots deliberately. I looked at him and said, "What's going on? Why are you missing so badly?" Well, his opponent unscrewed his cue and quit. :D

This really pissed him off, and we left the joint. He told the meat thief that he'd hook up with him later. As we were driving, we stopped in this little town in Tennessee and went into a restaurant, which happened to be the mayor's wife's restaurant. This road agent struck me in the face. I still have a scar over my right eye from it. I ran behind the counter. The local sheriff came. He made the road agent purchase a bus ticket for me and told him to give me some money to get home, and the only money he had left after the ticket was $5.

I had to take three different buses back to D.C. It took 25 hours. I'll never forget. I couldn't even get a hot dog for 5 bucks. :angry:

that was quite a story, tough way to get back home.

and in my experience, it's not uncommon for meat thieves to 'steer'. :grin-square:

best,
brian kc

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He used to have to get a shot once a month when he would go off the deep end. He left me in Tennessee, and I only have $5 to my name. It was a 25-hour bus ride home with two transfers. I'll never forget it. He was famous for leaving people at the horse track when he lost if they rode out with him. Winning, though, he was as nice as could be to all those around him. He really was ill, though. I used to think he was faking or full of it, but I know he was sick. He had 13 shock treatments after an experience down South, but that's another story.

I'm not sure who Baldy is. What's his last name? Are you referring to Beau?

Baldwin, not sure if first or last name - everyone knew him as Baldy. He was the stakehorse for at least 10-15 years before his death ( our friend ). Used to hang out with Crazy Lou

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I watched that match...at the end Ramil said "FILIPINO, FILIPINO !"

It was a great match to watch...for some reason I remember Keith getting out when there was 'no getting out'....when he marked that game, he spun the ball on the wire...
....I thought that was cool. :)

I think I was watching this match too. I can't remember, but I definitely was at the US Open. I would usually get there Thursday. I'm pretty sure this match was 2003, I'd have to check my photos from that year.

Eric

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Notice how over the years, the Earl defenders have dried up?
I'm still a huge fan.
Earl when he is winning is definitely more enjoyable though.
He's always been nice to me at various events.
**Guess I have to edit Sig. Lol

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Never seen people go out of their way to shark someone as much as these Earl people do,.

Honestly, I think this is more like the "chicken or the egg" thing.

've seen the Earl show for many years too. I've gone to the US Open and sat in the stands for mroe than the last decade (RIP, Barry) and one interesting observation I've had from the crowd, there, was that each year there seems to be more Earl hecklers.

So, are the Earl hecklers recruiting more ppl or are the growing, heckling crowds due to something Earl himself created over the years?

Eric

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'm still a huge fan.
Earl when he is winning is definitely more enjoyable though.
He's always been nice to me at various events.

He was the greatest 9 ball player of all time in his prime in my book.

I understand that he's a good golfer. I wonder how he is on the golf course? Golf is even worse than pool at sheer aggravation. Talk about rolls!

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
His current problem, as I see it, is that he has fallen for his own act as he ages...
...saw that a lot when I was young....a lot of the action guys started falling for their own stories.,,,"Floyd" kinda went that route also...he was extremely entertaining in his prime.

Yeah Jimmy WAAAAAY Jumped The Shark rather early on though from what I remember. He was always kinda funny that way like some of the best action players. I never liked it myself except when it was in the room I was playing in. Super funny stuff would always ensue.

Earl is just Earl, he really is the real deal, but its bad when he feels like he isn't getting the love he deserves. He got slapped in the face several times by schemes and promotions that never lived up to what they were touted as and he has been treated... well, like a pool player. So I like watching Earl PLAY.... not listen to him or watch his squirm in his seat. Just play.

I do like hearing Joe Rogan impersonate him though.

Regards,

Lesh

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yeah Jimmy WAAAAAY Jumped The Shark rather early on though from what I remember. He was always kinda funny that way like some of the best action players. I never liked it myself except when it was in the room I was playing in. Super funny stuff would always ensue.

Earl is just Earl, he really is the real deal, but its bad when he feels like he isn't getting the love he deserves. He got slapped in the face several times by schemes and promotions that never lived up to what they were touted as and he has been treated... well, like a pool player. So I like watching Earl PLAY.... not listen to him or watch his squirm in his seat. Just play.

I do like hearing Joe Rogan impersonate him though.

Regards,

Lesh

Efren, you got the eight.....:rotflmao1:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Honestly, I think this is more like the "chicken or the egg" thing.

've seen the Earl show for many years too. I've gone to the US Open and sat in the stands for mroe than the last decade (RIP, Barry) and one interesting observation I've had from the crowd, there, was that each year there seems to be more Earl hecklers.

So, are the Earl hecklers recruiting more ppl or are the growing, heckling crowds due to something Earl himself created over the years?

Eric

Its a double edged sword. People have zero respect. If you tell them politely to stop making noise, they get offended.
Earl doesn't pull punches when it comes to idiots, so that just makes it worse.
It should never be the players job to tell the crowd they are making too much noise. It's the TDs. But too many times, the TD is too soft, or doesn't want to offend anyone.
That's actually one of the reasons I didn't mind the TD at the expo. Sure he can be abrasive, but when he was telling people to leave, or move, or to not make noise, or kicking them out when they were on their phone, that takes it out of the players hands, and it doesn't get as personal as it does with Earl.

I love it when a TD tells an ignorant crowd to STFU. But you know how those idiots roll. They paid for their ticket to watch, and that entitles them to do whatever the f*ck they want, and god help anyone who tells them otherwise.
For their night session pass, they feel like they can do whatever they want, and no one should say a word about it because in their minds, the tournament isn't about the players, it's about THEIR EXPERIENCE, and f*ck the players if they aren't allowed to do whatever they want.

Shoot all those idiots. Just drop them out of a plane and enjoy the SPLAT noise they make. So ridiculous.

As far as Earl is concerned.
Personally, I think it was a fleeting phenomena that morphed into what we have present day, where many more people know about it and go looking for it.

Perfect example of how a fan turns.
Derby CC when it was at the Executive West hotel.
Saw a guy, a legitimate fan, going off about Earl and how great he was. Earl was this guys hero.
Kept on interrupting Earl here and there. After this match, at the concession stand, while Earl was talking to other individuals, simply trying to get Earls attention so that all of this guys friends would think that he was tight with Earl.
Like he wanted to know Earl so he could be more popular.

Ok, I get it. The guy was a total groupie. But then, Earl was walking down the hall past the magic trick guy, and was talking to someone, and this guy was trying to get his attention and Earl was too involved in his conversation. Didn't even notice the guy. Guys friends started busting on him and the guy looked legitimately pissed.
You know who was sitting right next to Earls next match making comments below his breath? This retard.

And he totally got off on it.
And you see some examples of that everywhere you go.
The fans who don't know how to respect someone's privacy.
Doesn't help that those types don't have 3 working brain cells, but that's how stupid they are.
They actually felt like Earl OWED them some recognition as fans.
That's probably happened a lot with those types of fans.
Guy tries his best to be friendly with all of his fans, and god forbid he doesn't notice you or wants to be left alone for a sec.
Then it all gets flushed down the toilet.

I think modern day, it's just an issue of having more entitled stupid people at events who get their rocks off heckling. They are everywhere, but they stand out more with Earl cause he actually goes on tilt so they try harder.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a double edged sword. People have zero respect. If you tell them politely to stop making noise, they get offended.
Earl doesn't pull punches when it comes to idiots, so that just makes it worse.
It should never be the players job to tell the crowd they are making too much noise. It's the TDs. But too many times, the TD is too soft, or doesn't want to offend anyone.
That's actually one of the reasons I didn't mind the TD at the expo. Sure he can be abrasive, but when he was telling people to leave, or move, or to not make noise, or kicking them out when they were on their phone, that takes it out of the players hands, and it doesn't get as personal as it does with Earl.

I love it when a TD tells an ignorant crowd to STFU. But you know how those idiots roll. They paid for their ticket to watch, and that entitles them to do whatever the f*ck they want, and god help anyone who tells them otherwise.
For their night session pass, they feel like they can do whatever they want, and no one should say a word about it because in their minds, the tournament isn't about the players, it's about THEIR EXPERIENCE, and f*ck the players if they aren't allowed to do whatever they want.

Shoot all those idiots. Just drop them out of a plane and enjoy the SPLAT noise they make. So ridiculous.

As far as Earl is concerned.
Personally, I think it was a fleeting phenomena that morphed into what we have present day, where many more people know about it and go looking for it.

Perfect example of how a fan turns.
Derby CC when it was at the Executive West hotel.
Saw a guy, a legitimate fan, going off about Earl and how great he was. Earl was this guys hero.
Kept on interrupting Earl here and there. After this match, at the concession stand, while Earl was talking to other individuals, simply trying to get Earls attention so that all of this guys friends would think that he was tight with Earl.
Like he wanted to know Earl so he could be more popular.

Ok, I get it. The guy was a total groupie. But then, Earl was walking down the hall past the magic trick guy, and was talking to someone, and this guy was trying to get his attention and Earl was too involved in his conversation. Didn't even notice the guy. Guys friends started busting on him and the guy looked legitimately pissed.
You know who was sitting right next to Earls next match making comments below his breath? This retard.

And he totally got off on it.
And you see some examples of that everywhere you go.
The fans who don't know how to respect someone's privacy.
Doesn't help that those types don't have 3 working brain cells, but that's how stupid they are.
They actually felt like Earl OWED them some recognition as fans.
That's probably happened a lot with those types of fans.
Guy tries his best to be friendly with all of his fans, and god forbid he doesn't notice you or wants to be left alone for a sec.
Then it all gets flushed down the toilet.

I think modern day, it's just an issue of having more entitled stupid people at events who get their rocks off heckling. They are everywhere, but they stand out more with Earl cause he actually goes on tilt so they try harder.

I have to disagree with you somewhat. Yes, people in the crowd should act like they have some sense and common decency but at the end of the day it absolutely is all about the crowd, the fans. These pros are only pros so that whatever promoter can sell tickets, sell streams, sell concessions , sell space to vendors etc. That is the point of any pro sporting event - generating revenue. Where does the revenue always come from? The fans. There would be exactly 0 events anywhere if there were no chance of revenue by the means I listed above. Why would any promoter put out money to host an event and often adding money to boot. They wouldnt. As far as Earl or anyone else " owing " the fans anything, well no I wouldn't say that. What I would say though is maybe they should realize it is totally in their own best interest to interact with them and keep them happy within reason. Once more, without the fans there would be nothing. Now as I said earlier the fans / crowd should act like they have common sense. But to put it in perspective look at the heckling some baseball players take as well as pros in any other sport. The fact that pool players don't male that much money shouldn't change the fact that they should behave as pros.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
I have to disagree with you somewhat. Yes, people in the crowd should act like they have some sense and common decency but at the end of the day it absolutely is all about the crowd, the fans. These pros are only pros so that whatever promoter can sell tickets, sell streams, sell concessions , sell space to vendors etc. That is the point of any pro sporting event - generating revenue. Where does the revenue always come from? The fans. There would be exactly 0 events anywhere if there were no chance of revenue by the means I listed above. Why would any promoter put out money to host an event and often adding money to boot. They wouldnt. As far as Earl or anyone else " owing " the fans anything, well no I wouldn't say that. What I would say though is maybe they should realize it is totally in their own best interest to interact with them and keep them happy within reason. Once more, without the fans there would be nothing. Now as I said earlier the fans / crowd should act like they have common sense. But to put it in perspective look at the heckling some baseball players take as well as pros in any other sport. The fact that pool players don't male that much money shouldn't change the fact that they should behave as pros.

I'm not disagreeing with you about pool needing it's fans.
Pool is in the "players can't earn a decent living" category because there aren't enough paying fans buying enough products to attract big sponsors.
But pool fans as well as pool players, are the nittiest cheapskates on the planet. Worst demographic to try and cater to. It's a total lost cause.
You have guys spending hundreds of dollars on legitimate professional sporting events, willing to buy way overpriced hot dogs, beers, and other items during those experiences.
Pool players crying about spending $20 at the expo to watch pros for a once a year event. Total joke.

But as far as your other argument is concerned, you cannot compare heckling in other sports to pool.
Baseball, they already have their multi million dollar contracts.
Most other sports they are already getting paid before the fact.
Heckling becomes a non issue.
See how those baseball players react when they are destitute, hungry, and can't pay their bills unless they make a score. Might be quite a different story, but we will never know now, will we.

The CLOSEST thing I think compares, is the quiet and focus required in golf, despite them making decent sponsorship money.
How come you don't have fans heckling players left and right in that sport?
What do they do with fans that DO use their phones or heckle in golf?

wincardona

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On more than one occasion I wanted to walk out of a match Earl was playing in. I couldn't do it though because it was my event. Call it uncomfortable or pissed off or just tired of seeing a 50 year old baby throw his toys I have no problem seeing why someone would just decide to walk out of that sh!tshow.

What happened here is what always happens to Earl fans. They get a dose up close and realize it sucks to sit and watch a guy cry, b!tch and insult fans. The reaction is always one of four things:

- Leave. Like the poster here did

- Troll Earl. Like you say you would do at least thats what I get out of "Have fun with it". This happens alot and some of Earls biggest "Fans" come just to watch or make him tilt.

- Stay the course. This is most fans. They just put up with it. They laugh at it the first hour and just shake their head after that. This is what I did. Three times. Cause I'm as sharp as an anvil.

- Make excuses. This group is made up of mainly amateur psychiatrists who will talk your ear off about all the reasons Earl is a jerk that are out of his control. When asked to defend this hypothesis it usually just ends in "Well its just a shame is all and its not his fault."

Earl is gonna Earl. At this point my favorite part of seeing him play anything is the reaction of his fans who have not seen him up close for the full show. Its straight up schadenfreude on my part but its so damn funny.

I'm standing by for the twelve foot table with one pocket in the middle of each rail.

You're absolutely right about Earl and his fans, actually you would of made a great journalist. I'm a fan and you should get back into what you do so well..streaming matches, you're among the best. And yes, shorter matches is a much more exciting format, three out of five or four out of seven. Always a pleasure reading you.

Bill Incardona

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I'm not disagreeing with you about pool needing it's fans.
Pool is in the "players can't earn a decent living" category because there aren't enough paying fans buying enough products to attract big sponsors.
But pool fans as well as pool players, are the nittiest cheapskates on the planet. Worst demographic to try and cater to. It's a total lost cause.
You have guys spending hundreds of dollars on legitimate professional sporting events, willing to buy way overpriced hot dogs, beers, and other items during those experiences.
Pool players crying about spending $20 at the expo to watch pros for a once a year event. Total joke.

But as far as your other argument is concerned, you cannot compare heckling in other sports to pool.
Baseball, they already have their multi million dollar contracts.
Most other sports they are already getting paid before the fact.
Heckling becomes a non issue.
See how those baseball players react when they are destitute, hungry, and can't pay their bills unless they make a score. Might be quite a different story, but we will never know now, will we.

The CLOSEST thing I think compares, is the quiet and focus required in golf, despite them making decent sponsorship money.
How come you don't have fans heckling players left and right in that sport?
What do they do with fans that DO use their phones or heckle in golf?

I agree with ya SS. I go to a lot of baseball games, and it always makes me laugh at the goofs who get "off" on yelling at the other team players.... they got seats close to the field, and what to call the guy an "ahole" or "you suck", etc.... what is the point of that exactly ?

It's a 2-way street in pool, and the TD's need to bounce the trouble makers, and control the pro's, quite easy actually, but it's not done often, thus both sides push that envelope imho.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think I was watching this match too. I can't remember, but I definitely was at the US Open. I would usually get there Thursday. I'm pretty sure this match was 2003, I'd have to check my photos from that year.

Eric

I'm thinking 2002...the year Ralf beat Alex in the finals.