Anybody in Orlando or NY?

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
I will be in Orlando at a convention April 30-May 2. I will be staying at the host hotel without a car, but I will bring my cue if anyone wants to play for fun or we could go to a local tournament. I don't care what game - 8 ball, 9ball, straight pool, one pocket...I'm game. Let me know, otherwise, I won't bring my cue.

The reason I brought up NY is because my 24 year old baby is moving there if she finds a job. She graduated college last year with a degree in business and IT, and wants to be a fashion designer running her own empire. Is there anyone who has contacts regarding a job and cheap housing for her? And maybe take her under their wing because you know NY, alone, beautiful tiny girl, gulp!

I thought I would lump both requests in the same post since the 2nd one probably should go in NPR but hey, I'm saving digital room this way! :p

Thanks everyone, in advance.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump for one very good pool player and a hell of a nice lady. I met Linda here in Chicago at Chris's a couple years ago. Hope some AZ member has some time to show her around your hometown she's wonderful to hang out with!

Dan

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump

Cmon Azer's there must be someone down in Orlando that wants to get schooled by Linda. Believe me it's not so bad to get beaten by a girl!!!

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
The reason I brought up NY is because my 24 year old baby is moving there if she finds a job. She graduated college last year with a degree in business and IT, and wants to be a fashion designer running her own empire. Is there anyone who has contacts regarding a job and cheap housing for her? And maybe take her under their wing because you know NY, alone, beautiful tiny girl, gulp!

Beautiful 24 year old girl huh????? :) hmmmmm.....

HAHAHA Jobs are all over this city but "cheap housing" is not. She should find an apartment in Jersey City, NJ and take the PATH train. Its quick into Manhattan and cheaper than the 5 boros.

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
http://cuephoria.com/

Shameless plug for a fine spot!!

Cue-Phoria Billiards and Cafe
2050 Semoran Blvd.
Winter Park, FL 32792
Ph: 321-972-1867

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4...code_result&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CBkQ8gEwAQ

Thanks for the tip. It's less than 8 miles away and looks like a nice room. I only have Tuesday, May 1 available to play and their tournaments are on Wednesdays. I can always go and hit balls, but I was hoping to meet some AZBers while I was there. I'll post on Facebook and see if anyone there is from FL.

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
Beautiful 24 year old girl huh????? :) hmmmmm.....

HAHAHA Jobs are all over this city but "cheap housing" is not. She should find an apartment in Jersey City, NJ and take the PATH train. Its quick into Manhattan and cheaper than the 5 boros.

Yeah, she is beautiful, inside and out and I want her to stay that way! Thank you so much for the insider tip. I will let her know. It may be that she can then find a job in NJ, and only commute to NY for fashion shows, etc. Will she automatically have the big hair if she lives in Jersey? :p

Last edited:

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
The reason I brought up NY is because my 24 year old baby is moving there if she finds a job. She graduated college last year with a degree in business and IT, and wants to be a fashion designer running her own empire. Is there anyone who has contacts regarding a job and cheap housing for her?

Thanks everyone, in advance.

Depending on her situation, I'll agree that living in NJ might be a better choice. At least, for now.

If anything, she can find a more affordable place. I would also recommend having a car so that she isn't limited to living near the PATH train. Living outside of NYC/Newark/Jersey City/Hoboken, you need a car to get around. While there is public transportation into the City from just about anywhere in NJ, you still may need a car to get to the train/bus station. While NYC is truly a city that one can live in without a car, the higher rent for an apartment will negate the savings.

If she chooses to go this route, move to a town that has a train line, that runs to NYC, close by. There are lots of towns that are within a 45 minute commute to Manhattan. If you live in any of the outer boroughs of NYC, it is easily 45 minutes to get into Manhattan, so it really is the same thing.

Look up some train/bus lines here- http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

(NY Penn is Manhattan)
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Eric

Last edited:

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
Sent you a PM.. I can answer both your questions.. haha

Adam

Thanks Adam, will see you in FL.

Ok, now you can see why I'm worried about her. She's trusting, she's super smart, and she's tiny. And she no longer has her 6'7" boyfriend to protect her.

Pics from iPad 242 (Medium).jpg

Pics from iPad 243.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Depending on her situation, I'll agree that living in NJ might be a better choice. At least, for now.

If anything, she can find a more affordable place. I would also recommend having a car so that she isn't limited to living near the PATH train. Living outside of NYC/Newark/Jersey City/Hoboken, you need a car to get around. While there is public transportation into the City from just about anywhere in NJ, you still may need a car to get to the train/bus station. While NYC is truly a city that one can live in without a car, the higher rent for an apartment will negate the savings.

If she chooses to go this route, move to a town that has a train line, that runs to NYC, close by. There are lots of towns that are within a 45 minute commute to Manhattan. If you live in any of the outer boroughs of NYC, it is easily 45 minutes to get into Manhattan, so it really is the same thing.

Look up some train/bus lines here- http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

(NY Penn is Manhattan)
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Eric

I agree with Eric. Many of the outerlying areas to NYC (e.g. suburbs) are very affordable, yet easy to commute into NYC.

For example, up until I purchased my house where I am now, I was renting in a beautiful little village known as Bronxville (http://villageofbronxville.org/). Everything in that village is walking distance -- nice cafes, restaurants, shopping area, public parks with walking, biking, and jogging areas, ponds, etc. Also, there's the Bronxville train stop for the "Harlem Line" of the MetroNorth train stop, within walking distance everywhere in Bronxville. (Don't let "Harlem" scare you -- that's just the name of this particular line of the MetroNorth commuter train, which travels through Harlem on its way north to the suburbs. Besides, Harlem these days is quite nice -- cleaned-up, and has a nice theater district to boot, but I digress...) The MetroNorth commuter train, depending on what time of day you catch it, is Express into Grand Central Station -- about 20 minutes total. I *wish* I had that short of a commute into NYC now! (My train from Putnam County [Brewster] is 90 minutes.)

http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

There are nice places to live all around NYC; you just have to look. There are lots of places in Westchester County (which Bronxville is in) which is the first non-NYC county outside of NYC itself, on the northern side. Yes, Westchester County has a reputation for being expensive, but that's for property and school taxes; if you rent, you can actually get a nice place with some careful research.

Hope this is helpful; drop me a PM if you have any pointed questions about any areas outside of NYC itself, especially going north!
-Sean

Last edited: