Anyone else think the inter state ivory ban is dumb?

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the use of ANY ivory nowadays is similar to wearing real fur coats - in my opinion a human using these is simply an asshole. Why not to use human bones for ferrules or inlays right away? There are plenty of bones at your local graveyard😎

What’s wrong with wearing a real fur coat?

I’m curious. Do you eat real meat? Wear leather shoes? Maybe have a leather wallet, belt, or leather seats in your car? How about a leather tip on your cues?

Cuedup

Many people see a difference between using the leather from a cow for a shoe and harvesting an animal to be strictly used for its skin.

Cuedup

Both animals are bred to slaughter for profit.
Are you really condemning one while condoning the other?
I condemned neither. You're triggered.

How about hunting? Do you see a distinction between hunting a deer, eating the meat and having the trophy mounted on the wall vs just cutting the head off and leaving the rest to waste?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I condemned neither. You're triggered.

How about hunting? Do you see a distinction between hunting a deer, eating the meat and having the trophy mounted on the wall vs just cutting the head off and leaving the rest to waste?
I'm not triggered. You are talking in riddles.

Yes, the distinction is the former is hunting, the latter is poaching.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There ‘s so much legally harvested elephant ivory already in the USA “before” America joined the ban
on elephant ivory in 1978 that the supply seemed unassailable and did not need any replenishment.

Eliminating the use of that ivory only aggravated the poaching problem because it drove up the price
of poached ivory since pre-ban ivory from the mid-70’s and decades earlier was effectively eliminated.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Using ivory in cues is dumb imo.
There are materials that produce a similar feel to ivory so the desire for it has become decorative. Maybe just carry a pearly white puppy in your purse to accessorize your pool game and leave ivory to the animals.
Seems like crossfit to me. Not sure I've talked to someone with ivory without them mentioning it.

Relax, I'm joking...

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Using ivory in cues is dumb imo.
There are materials that produce a similar feel to ivory so the desire for it has become decorative. Maybe just carry a pearly white puppy in your purse to accessorize your pool game and leave ivory to the animals.
Seems like crossfit to me. Not sure I've talked to someone with ivory without them mentioning it.

Relax, I'm joking...
Name joint and ferrule materials that have similar feel to ivory . Something that clean too in off-white or white.
I'd love to have some .

Rusty in Montana

Everything dies so why not utilize everything possible , friends of mine have hunted in Africa and all the meat from what they have harvested went to the local villagers they also receive a royalty check from the hunters and in area's such as this poaching is a rarity .

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I think the use of ANY ivory nowadays is similar to wearing real fur coats - in my opinion a human using these is simply an asshole. Why not to use human bones for ferrules or inlays right away? There are plenty of bones at your local graveyard😎
Yeah real fur is bad…that’s why the west coast can’t stop the nutria rat. There used to be a good trade for it and much trapping in Louisiana but with the fur “ban” and crying west coasters it now has to be supplemented by the government to pay trappers to kill it just to use for crab bait and alligator feed. The industry used to support itself to hold back the extremely invasive species. This is nothing like ivory l.

Last edited:

Rusty in Montana

Real fur for real people folks the fur trade is still alive and well with trappers of all ages still going out and humainly harvesting renewable resources and in doing so help slow the spread of rabies , parvo , distemper and sarcastic mange .
Which in turn helps keep predatation to a minimum for livestock producers and in many cases pets who's owners don't fallow the guidelines when away from a fenced yard or there property, coyotes and other predators have been known to ignore property lines and fences .

Sorry I don't want to go off topic but I felt the truth needed to be said .

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Real fur for real people folks the fur trade is still alive and well with trappers of all ages still going out and humainly harvesting renewable resources and in doing so help slow the spread of rabies , parvo , distemper and sarcastic mange .
Which in turn helps keep predatation to a minimum for livestock producers and in many cases pets who's owners don't fallow the guidelines when away from a fenced yard or there property, coyotes and other predators have been known to ignore property lines and fences .

Sorry I don't want to go off topic but I felt the truth needed to be said .
No apologies, bro. These topics bring out the blind ignorance in otherwise intelligent people.

Rusty in Montana

I'd like to make a correction my post should of had sarcoptic mange instead of sarcastic mange darn spell check anyway . Ha ha sorry for any confusion that may of caused .