Anyone know anything about a Player Named Willie Joplin

He was at the DCC this year.

I met him at the Derby city classic in january.He had a little table set up
by the vendors.He was selling several different dvd's,mostly 1-hole I think.
He also had copies of the movie Baltimore Bullet.He told me it was hard to find and that he found it in Italy.
I think he writes articles for billiard digest, or he did.
 
Bill Marshall is his real name. He also did a trick shot video. I met him at the SBE a couple years ago.
 
Scott Lee with check in here. Willie is one of his best friends...SPF=randyg
 
That's true...as are YOU, my friend, and mentor. Bill Marshall, aka Willie Jopling (not Joplin), is indeed from Lynchburg VA, and has played pool with the best of his era, for more than 65 years. He began playing, as a boy, at a country store, near his boyhood home, in Bedford VA. It had a potbellied stove, and a pool table, that his older brother played on (his brother still often accompanies him to the SBE and DCC), and he tells a story of how he had to go to the poolroom, sent by his mother, to bring his brother home for dinner! His favorite game has always been one pocket, and he has always been fascinated with trick shots (having invented many, written a book, and produced an incredible video). Bill was the FIRST person to detail the concept of tangent line physics (as it applies to pool) in writing. He has written a column for Billiards Digest since the inception of the magazine, and has discussed many players, shots, strategies, and shared billiard physics/geometry principles that he has learned over six decades of play. Bill is definitely one of the most recognized people in the game (EVERYBODY knows him), and it's always a pleasure to visit him. We roomed together at the DCC a couple of years ago, and walking around with him was like being in the company of a movie star celebrity. While he is quite humble, his personality is very outgoing, and his knowledge (and love) of pool is unparalleled. Much of what I know about trick shots is due to his mentoring! At 85 years of age, Willie can still hit them pretty square, and banks like a champion. I have seen him pocket many bank shots that looked impossible! Bill is, quite frankly, an amazing individual, and has seen (and been there) for much of pool's history...at least over the past almost 7 decades! His one pocket instructional dvd set is acclaimed by many...including Freddie the Beard himself, in a recent post here. A toast to his health and longevity. There are few people like him on this Earth! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott Lee with check in here. Willie is one of his best friends...SPF=randyg
 
Last edited:
i know i bought his 1 pocket dvd. i'm not sure if it helped my game at all but it looks pretty informative. i think the beginning part when he went over the break and getting out of the break was pretty cool
 
Willie has been around forever it seems. I met him at a BCA trade show in the late 80's or early 90's. He has written for a few different publications through the years and seems to be very knowledgable about the game.
 
He goes to the Derby City every year, very nice man, will answer any and all questions you ask. He normally puts his dvds on a table in the hall and sells them. Worth the money.
 
At first I thought you were joking with us but you really don't know Bill Marshall, aka Willie Jopling. I have both of his one pocket DVD's and they have opened my eyes to the world of one pocket. I had know idea of the shot possibilties of this game until I saw his instructional DVD's. Some of the shot he performs I still cannot do but I will practice them. whenever I need a one pocket tune up that is the first set of DVD's I reach for. He is one of the coolest guys I have met in the pool world and I speak to him every time I see him at DCC. Get the DVD's and keep them because there is know way you can remember all the things he goes over in one setting. Good luck and much Thanks to Willie!!!
 
I met him at DCC

Just return a VHS of he did on ONE HOLE, and was curious.

If I remember right, he had a standing bet with anyone, {yes anyone} in the world to play kiss pool for $10,000. For those who have never played it, the cue ball is used as a bumper, to kiss the object balls off of, and into the pocket. It's kind of a reverse pool. It's a tremendous help to learning the tangent lines and ways to avoid scratching when playing any other game.

He's a very nice guy, and spent time in the AZ room with us.
 
Willie is one of the sharpest guys in the entire pool world. He may know more about the game than anyone living today! Pretty strong statement but I can't think of anyone more knowledgeable. You will learn from every one of his DVD's or videos. Bill is the real deal!
 
Willie,,,,,,!!!

Wilie is a great ambasador for the game,,,,,,

I agree with everything everyone has said about him,,,

I"ve known him for a few years and he is most definitely a 'Living Legend''...he's also one of the great all time story tellers offering great annecdotes of past greats,,,,guys, like ""Fats'', Weannie Beanie. and my favorite..Eddie ''THE KNOXVILLE BEAR'' TAYLOR.....

Willie is also a maven on tables having played on them all,,,,,,I learned more about tables in a few coversations with him,, than at any time in my life,,,,

I had the honor of being at the same banquet table with him at last years'' VF saturday night dinner and as always,,,really was entertained by him...

At age 85,,,,he also has one of the best heads of hair in pool ...{ or anywhere else, for that matter }....

Yeah,,,,WIllie is a class act and should be in the HOF,,,,,

..........Alan........................
 
Back
Top