Anyone play with an Elk Master? Tip suggestions

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never played with an Elk Master. I like medium to slightly soft tips. Any thoughts? I don't want a layered tip. What should i go with?

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with Elkmasters. The Milk Duds made by the guy here on AZ also play pretty sporty! Sorry I can't remember his name, I'm sure someone will chime in with his name. Like you I prefer a good piece of Water Buffalo leather over a layered tip, not saying the layered tips don't play well, just personal preference. Hope that answers your question.

Last edited:

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Straight out of the box elkmasters are the softest tip you can buy. I don't know if I would recommend an elkmaster that hasn't been soaked and pressed, but those play more like a medium/medium hard (Which I absolutely 100% love). Triangles I think are closer to medium-hard straight out of the box.

I think if you want a non-layered medium soft tip, probably a ki-tech by outsville.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They work

I have heard good and bad about Elk Masters, like every other tip.

Efren used them and I think other pros did.

I use the Elk Master "Milk Duds" Pooldawg8 sells on this forum. Those and the medium Talisman tips work for me and they don't cost as much as the Kamui's I liked.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Earl says elk Master tips are all he ever uses so you got to figure that's a pretty good endorsement.

The pooldawg8 Milk Duds are also exceptional non layered tips in mine and many others opinion.

GL

best
brian kc

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried elk masters in the past and was just never a fan. Maybe I got some bad ones?

Lately I have switched to layered tips but for years I pressed my own lepro tips. I still have a few that I put on my old Schon cues.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a milk dud installed on one of my shafts a couple of weeks ago. Thank you Black Balled and Pooldawg8. I play with hard pressed triangles. I have hit it a few times and had one pretty productive 3 cushion session with it. I am going to play with it tonight in a 9 ball match. I have noticed that they shed chalk like crazy all over the shaft. Maybe it's the impregnated chalk in the tip.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Straight out of the box elkmasters are the softest tip you can buy. I don't know if I would recommend an elkmaster that hasn't been soaked and pressed, but those play more like a medium/medium hard (Which I absolutely 100% love). Triangles I think are closer to medium-hard straight out of the box.

I think if you want a non-layered medium soft tip, probably a ki-tech by outsville.
I am using a Ki-tech right now. It's consistently soft throughout the tip and doesn't seem to mushroom much.

https://outsville.com/products/ki-tech-techno-dud

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best non-layered tip I tried, and one of the best overall I tried, is the Ki-Tech tip from Outsville. I like the soft ones, had two put on, both did not mushroom and stayed soft for a long long time. I put a medium on a cue and liked that one as well, although it was not put on as well as the softs so that one did mushroom a bit, but I think it was just a different installation method. The first one Mike Webb did, the Medium someone else put on.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
A LePro is med/soft right out of the box, and they play great.

Every third LePro is great but the other two are significantly different and total crap IMO (generally they are much harder, don't hold chalk as well, glaze over more easily, etc). Triangles play much like a good LePro, have a medium or even a softer side of medium feel (even though like LePro they are technically rated as a "hard" tip), and they are consistent from tip to tip. I would vote that he give triangle a try.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Elkmaster tips are awesome.
Just squeeze them down in a vice to your desired firmness.
One of the most versatile tips ever made.
Milk duds play great too; when properly made.
They're one of my favorite.
Triangles are nice as well,
but a pressed Elkmaster just feels like magic.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Elkmaster tips are awesome.
Just squeeze them down in a vice to your desired firmness.
One of the most versatile tips ever made.
Milk duds play great too; when properly made.
They're one of my favorite.
Triangles are nice as well,
but a pressed Elkmaster just feels like magic.

" I am experimenting with this technique myself ...
A friend gave me a "screw together " tip press-
it keeps the tip domed-
Press the Elk Master tip medium-firm for a few days- "No milk or cream or half and half"
SEEMS TO PLAY GREAT!!!