Anyone Use A Rhino Carbon Fiber Shaft?

Vnv

That last pic where the wiped down shaft looks almost white on one spot looks bad. Is 90% alcohol enough to damage the finish or something? I wouldn’t be happy at all with that.

It is from the light, it is not white. It is just lighter gray after the wipe with some discoloration next to the end and top where I wiped less initially

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did some work for a local dealer who got a couple of these shafts in, customers wanted different tips on them. They seem well made and only thing I did notice about them was the black dust was horrible. I would never let a shaft out of a factory like that. It was so bad I took pictures of the two paper towels I needed to use to get all the stuff off of one. You can see the progression of each wipe with the towels (using 90% rubbing alcohol to clean)

Attachments

• IMG_0334Edit.jpg
    IMG_0334Edit.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 40

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People trying to install tips without a lathe are like people choosing to be their own lawyer. Very rarely does it end well.
I must be a rare one. I own a Willard tip setup with every imaginable collet and accessory. Been doing my own tips since I got fed up with sloppy work by both cue makers and repair guys.

I occasionally do tips for close friends as well. I let them decide how much to pay me or I do it for free. Hell I even resharpen the cutting blades to better than new. Use a 6000 grit wet stone no need to pull out the 10,000 grit one.

Never had one pop off or done any damage to a ferrule.

Just got to be careful, know what you’re doing and pay attention. I actually enjoy doing my own, get to try all sorts of tips doing your own.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
So using hand tools, how does one remove these new fangled tips with the clear disc?
I just left it on and faced it. Now I have a pooldawg8 clear milkdud. Another reason why clears aren't a great idea. But I do like the look, just not dealing with them.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
The blackening is lessening.... if lessening is a real word. :). Less charcoal than a week ago.

L.S. Dennis

i've only seen three so far but all are dead straight and play great. you said you broke one. how? just playing it? i find that almost impossible to believe. not everyone is gonna whip $400 for a cf shaft.
Zar is absolutely correct, the Rhino shafts are dead straight, and not warped as some have mentioned. They play great and as good as other shafts that cost twice the amount of $$$. The best CF shafts on the market for the money no question. I love the one I have! Don't be fooled by some less informed posters on this!

Last edited:

PVD16

I cleaned my shaft really well when I first received and have had no black residue since. Plays every bit as well as my Cue Tech shaft. The price is right to have a back up carbon fiber shaft in my case.

Lostboy45b

I just received my new shaft today. No residue whatsoever. The tip I'm not fond of but I will fix that. Not the mfg problem. So far it rolls true on my rollers and cue. I will play with it later today and write a review of MY thoughts on it.

sigep1967

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far I like mine but it is strange coming from a high deflection shaft to this lol. It is like a different game.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cleaned my shaft really well when I first received and have had no black residue since. Plays every bit as well as my Cue Tech shaft. The price is right to have a back up carbon fiber shaft in my case.
It would be interesting to know if @Island Drive has attempted to clean his in the way those who have had success did.

But he refuses to address. I dunno, maybe he enjoys complaining...?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far I like mine but it is strange coming from a high deflection shaft to this lol. It is like a different game.
Me too. I play a lot of 3c billiards and sometimes you thin the first ball...real thin.

Took a while before I could spin CB on a those hits.

Good thing there aren't any fouls in that game!

Less difficulty with the pool shaft...though the color is still odd to me.

sigep1967

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it is like I have to aim opposite of what I used to on a spin shot. The deflection is so different or none at all that now I have to pay more attention to the spin throw it is interesting to say the least lol.

dendweller

For me it is like I have to aim opposite of what I used to on a spin shot. The deflection is so different or none at all that now I have to pay more attention to the spin throw it is interesting to say the least lol.
I found the same, seemed like I traded one challenge for another. They say that the lower deflection effect is that swerve and deflection cancel each other out of more shots so I guess you have something to look forward to.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I must be a rare one. I own a Willard tip setup with every imaginable collet and accessory. Been doing my own tips since I got fed up with sloppy work by both cue makers and repair guys.

I occasionally do tips for close friends as well. I let them decide how much to pay me or I do it for free. Hell I even resharpen the cutting blades to better than new. Use a 6000 grit wet stone no need to pull out the 10,000 grit one.

Never had one pop off or done any damage to a ferrule.

Just got to be careful, know what you’re doing and pay attention. I actually enjoy doing my own, get to try all sorts of tips doing your own.
Same boat here, love the Willard. I also got tired of shoddy installed by others.

Last edited:

sigep1967

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found the same, seemed like I traded one challenge for another. They say that the lower deflection effect is that swerve and deflection cancel each other out of more shots so I guess you have something to look forward to.
It is way different than my standard shafts. they were maple with Ivory ferrels so you just learned to play the deflection. with this shaft for instance if I am shooting a med speed spinny cut shot I have to account more for spin throw as with the standard shaft the deflection canceled out the throw or at least seemed to. I just know I have to aim very differently coming from a shaft that I could make deflect 3 or more inches on table length shots to now deflecting maybe 1 to 1.5 inches. I do see more swerve if I am hitting down on a shot with spin. The main thing is how much more spin I seem to create so I just try to play closer to centerball. Oh and backhand english is kind of wonky lol my normal comfortable bridge length is not long enough for this shaft to play back hand english.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is way different than my standard shafts. they were maple with Ivory ferrels so you just learned to play the deflection. with this shaft for instance if I am shooting a med speed spinny cut shot I have to account more for spin throw as with the standard shaft the deflection canceled out the throw or at least seemed to. I just know I have to aim very differently coming from a shaft that I could make deflect 3 or more inches on table length shots to now deflecting maybe 1 to 1.5 inches. I do see more swerve if I am hitting down on a shot with spin. The main thing is how much more spin I seem to create so I just try to play closer to centerball. Oh and backhand english is kind of wonky lol my normal comfortable bridge length is not long enough for this shaft to play back hand english.
tip offset is only thing that creates more spin. cf shafts DO have a little more power due to the stiffness but they don't put more spin on the cb.

sigep1967

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tip offset is only thing that creates more spin. cf shafts DO have a little more power due to the stiffness but they don't put more spin on the cb.
well I am definitely spinning the ball more than with the old shafts don't know what the difference is but it is there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well I am definitely spinning the ball more than with the old shafts don't know what the difference is but it is there.
it may feel that way but to get more spin you have to go further from center. SLIGHTLY more spin is possible with LD shafts but its a tiny amount. Dr.Dave on LD: https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/cue/low-squirt/ I have a Rhino on my Mezz and i've seen no increase in spin but in power.