APA on the Corona Virus

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Teams are pulling out on their own anyway. Each player must decide for themselves how much risk they are willing to accept for themselves and their families regardless of APA's decision. It will resolve whether or not APA or the local league make good decisions. This would avoid the forfeits and so forth.

Pool table cloth and balls being breathed on, sneezed on and touched by hundreds of people, potentially with a disease that could kill you, your wife, your granny. I couldn't think of a more ideal way to spread it. Think about that next time you're in a league match. Is it really worth it? Not trying to stoke the paranoia, just trying to be realistic.

Last edited:
Bob Jewett gave me a red vote thing because he thought my take wasn't helpful to the discussion, so I've come to the conclusion that Bob Jewett may be a communist and is also hoarding toilet paper.

If any of you fine folks find your local Wal-Mart short on supply of toilet paper, just remember Bob Jewett most likely bought all of it and buried it in his backyard to spite you.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett gave me a red vote...

Well, you can't blame elderly people for being scared, as of the right now the only concern about this virus is the propagation to the elderly. Of the extremely small percentage of people who will die, the overwhelming majority will be the elderly (as usual). It's a serious concern for them and it's understandable.

But, pandemics in this millennium like H1N1 in 2009 or SARS in 2004 (intently this COVID-19) were obviously worse, but for some they will never be better educated by any other than a television. it's a shame too, as instead of educating themselves and reassuring their neighbors they'll be safe, they instead choose to put fear into them. That mentality is a virus in itself, one which any other virus envies.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Teams are pulling out on their own anyway. Each player must decide for themselves how much risk they are willing to accept for themselves and their families regardless of APA's decision. It will resolve whether or not APA or the local league make good decisions. This would avoid the forfeits and so forth.

Pool table cloth and balls being breathed on, sneezed on and touched by hundreds of people, potentially with a disease that could kill you, your wife, your granny. I couldn't think of a more ideal way to spread it. Think about that next time you're in a league match. Is it really worth it? Not trying to stoke the paranoia, just trying to be realistic.

By your guidelines, any pool hall that lets people through their doors to play pool would be just as irresponsible as any sanctioned league would be for letting play continue. It's not just on the APA, it's every pool hall/league/tournament going on in the country.

Why should the APA absorb blame as the title of this thread suggests when so many others in the pool industry are equally to blame.

I have nothing against the APA nor do I think it's the next best thing since sliced bread, but the APA gets enough hate on these forums without now trying to pin the spread of coronavirus on them. If pool halls aren't closing their doors to players, they should be held equally responsible for any spread of the virus as anyone else, including the APA.

But, I bet you don't see too many pool halls closing their doors, eh?

It's ultimately an individual decision whether or not you want to risk catching the virus. Staying self-quarantined is the best possible solution, but not everybody can do that.

And I'm not arguing with you, TATE. I agree with you in fact. My response is more for the posters that are looking for anything they can negatively post about the APA.

Maniac

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
In NJ, one of the counties is the epicenter of COVAD-19 cases, all large venues above 500 have been shutdown and one town in that county (Teaneck, NJ) has announced self quarantine.

If one local APA league operator decides to go ahead and continue league play, while other nearby APA league operators are suspending, then the blame should be his, not the National organization?

South Korea was doing a fantastic job of controlling COVADー19 for the first 30 patients. Then #Patient31 came along, did not adhere to social distancing and caused 2 clusters that were responsible for 80% of South Korea's infections. APA League Operators, please don't be #Patient31.

Well, you can't blame elderly people for being scared, as of the right now the only concern about this virus is the propagation to the elderly. Of the extremely small percentage of people who will die, the overwhelming majority will be the elderly (as usual). It's a serious concern for them and it's understandable.

But, pandemics in this millennium like H1N1 in 2009 or SARS in 2004 (intently this COVID-19) were obviously worse, but for some they will never be better educated by any other than a television. it's a shame too, as instead of educating themselves and reassuring their neighbors they'll be safe, they instead choose to put fear into them. That mentality is a virus in itself, one which any other virus envies.
I'm just glad that he hasn't figured out a way to hit me with his cane through the internet

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well in Illinois APA had the decision made for them.
All Bars and Restaurants will close in Illinois starting Monday

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You lack of understanding on this is fascinating.
How do you explain what is happening in Italy?
Are you a flat earther or something?

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett gave me a red vote thing because he thought my take wasn't helpful to the discussion, so I've come to the conclusion that Bob Jewett may be a communist and is also hoarding toilet paper.

If any of you fine folks find your local Wal-Mart short on supply of toilet paper, just remember Bob Jewett most likely bought all of it and buried it in his backyard to spite you.
Bob always seems to do the right thing.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob's a pretty decent guy. He gives out lesson information to any who ask. I have a notebook full of his drills. He's well connected too. Forget the cane, he has a unbreakable 29" Revo to shove up your ass. He gets them free ya know.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I just came back from the grocery store, a couple of people almost came to blows over a box of pasta. It was an eye opening excursion for me and left me very disappointed in society.
I'm seeing primal instincts beginning to return and I'm just as scared of this as everyone else. In thinking about things though I've began to wonder, it's pretty normal to see the American
public over react to just about everything, but are we? People are dying out there, but more people than die from the flu, or any other infectious disease? You can do the research, but in
truth most research is subjective. It's generally not a problem to find something labeled as facts to prove your own point.
Bars and restaurants closing, I haven't heard of movie theaters closing but I'm sure it's coming, places that we work are shutting down and what effect will that have on our income position,
and if we accrue sick time or vacation time how long before that is exhausted.
Closing all these places and shutting down our places of employment is wiping out something that might be pretty important and that's social interaction. Social media will become far more
important than ever before. It will be the only method of human contact for some of us.
So all that being said, I'm kinda between the APA position on this thing, good? Bad? I don't know, but I do know that I will probably begin to look more forward to league night than I ever have before.
I can play all the pool I want at my own table in my house, and I enjoy that, but I love my friends and I enjoy that couple of hours a week with them. I've said many times that I don't go there to play
really, playing, meh..... I can take it or leave it, but I love the environment. Besides that, how long can we stay home locked up, afraid of what might happen if we leave?
Sure, I'll be more careful, we will likely not kiss or hug at the end of the night like we normally do, I doubt that the match will conclude with a hand shake but if we do I'm sure we will wash thoroughly,
I'll be the only one using my chalk and I'll have my hand sanitizer in my bag and that will most likely be the only thing I'll share with anyone. I can't imagine not having something to look forward to,
even if it's just league night.
I think it's a personal decision and it really should be left to the teams, but if they choose to sit out the rest of the session they shouldn't be penalized for it or charged for matches before they're allowed
to play again.
I don't want to get sick or be sick, no one does, but I, but we need to maintain some normalcy. I will bet, that when this is over, when it ends and we all take stock, we will find that the divorce rate has
blown up, and crimes are at an all time high.
I don't think it's so much how we live through this crisis, but how we come out of it. It's like pool according to Mark Twain, this crisis won't build any personal character as much as it will reveal it. So far it don't look good

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just came back from the grocery store, a couple of people almost came to blows over a box of pasta. It was an eye opening excursion for me and left me very disappointed in society.
I'm seeing primal instincts beginning to return and I'm just as scared of this as everyone else. In thinking about things though I've began to wonder, it's pretty normal to see the American
public over react to just about everything, but are we? People are dying out there, but more people than die from the flu, or any other infectious disease? You can do the research, but in
truth most research is subjective. It's generally not a problem to find something labeled as facts to prove your own point.
Bars and restaurants closing, I haven't heard of movie theaters closing but I'm sure it's coming, places that we work are shutting down and what effect will that have on our income position,
and if we accrue sick time or vacation time how long before that is exhausted.
Closing all these places and shutting down our places of employment is wiping out something that might be pretty important and that's social interaction. Social media will become far more
important than ever before. It will be the only method of human contact for some of us.
So all that being said, I'm kinda between the APA position on this thing, good? Bad? I don't know, but I do know that I will probably begin to look more forward to league night than I ever have before.
I can play all the pool I want at my own table in my house, and I enjoy that, but I love my friends and I enjoy that couple of hours a week with them. I've said many times that I don't go there to play
really, playing, meh..... I can take it or leave it, but I love the environment. Besides that, how long can we stay home locked up, afraid of what might happen if we leave?
Sure, I'll be more careful, we will likely not kiss or hug at the end of the night like we normally do, I doubt that the match will conclude with a hand shake but if we do I'm sure we will wash thoroughly,
I'll be the only one using my chalk and I'll have my hand sanitizer in my bag and that will most likely be the only thing I'll share with anyone. I can't imagine not having something to look forward to,
even if it's just league night.
I think it's a personal decision and it really should be left to the teams, but if they choose to sit out the rest of the session they shouldn't be penalized for it or charged for matches before they're allowed
to play again.
I don't want to get sick or be sick, no one does, but I, but we need to maintain some normalcy. I will bet, that when this is over, when it ends and we all take stock, we will find that the divorce rate has
blown up, and crimes are at an all time high.
I don't think it's so much how we live through this crisis, but how we come out of it. It's like pool according to Mark Twain, this crisis won't build any personal character as much as it will reveal it. So far it don't look good

I, for one, cant stand social media. I detest facebook. Dont do Twitter. AZ IS my social media. This, and CastBoolits.com. I will miss league night but I wont have any problems holing up for a while. This crisis is a lot like alcohol. Drinking alcohol doesn't make people assholes and idiots. It just brings it closer to the surface.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I would say league play will be suspended, just a question of when and who does it. It's irresponsible not to at this point. CSI finally got it right.