Archer's Place, Marietta Ga...??

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Long gone are the days of opening a room on $150k-$200k.

Wow it costs to open a room now. But the ROI is solid with full bar, vending, kitchen, pool & misc stuff
Does he have any room outside? The billiard room I play at sometimes has an outdoor volleyball court. It's pretty popular with the college kids. And pretty popular with the older guys sitting out on the patio watching the college chicks play volleyball!

And, it's not so popular around here anymore, but I hear horseshoes it's still going well in that area the country. Is that true? If so he could utilize the outside space as well.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People WAYYYYYY underestimate the amount of money dart players bring in.
It’s a MONSTER, absolutely a monster. And the size of market isn’t that huge. Meaning the amount of revenue per capita is soooo strong. It’s scalable very easily too. Easier than pool.

It’s a fun game, marketable and social

Best, hope your well,

Fatboy

PS have you see that kid “school boy” arm wrestle? Wow💪💪

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does he have any room outside? The billiard room I play at sometimes has an outdoor volleyball court. It's pretty popular with the college kids. And pretty popular with the older guys sitting out on the patio watching the college chicks play volleyball!

And, it's not so popular around here anymore, but I hear horseshoes it's still going well in that area the country. Is that true? If so he could utilize the outside space as well.
Don’t think so, parking is good tho

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many young people in America today will spend the time needed to become proficient on a 9 foot table so that they can reasonably enjoy the game - as we see- not very many at all- so we are left with 7 foot tables and all the other"stuff' in a bar that makes money for the bar owner- THAT is the real state of pocket billiards in America today.

The number of serous players on nine footers is shrinking - most of them play at home now anyhow, or in a senior center if they are so equipped, although most newly constructed senior centers have eliminated pool tables from their design; where , at one time, senior centers were being built with entire billiard rooms consisting of 2 to 6 large tables.

Throughout most states, there is a hardcore group of nine foot players that is not increasing in size as far as public rooms are concerned.

middleofnowhere

Registered
A pool room by it's very nature is not a highly profitable business. You don't open up a room thinking you're going to get rich. You open a pool room because it's the business you want to be in. Unfortunately it's going to require other financial streams to make it viable.

This can't happen though at the expense of it now no longer being a pool room. If you didn't want to be in the pool room business in the first place then open a shoe store.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A pool room by it's very nature is not a highly profitable business. You don't open up a room thinking you're going to get rich. You open a pool room because it's the business you want to be in. Unfortunately it's going to require other financial streams to make it viable.

This can't happen though at the expense of it now no longer being a pool room. If you didn't want to be in the pool room business in the first place then open a shoe store.
Private clubs with a membership base is looking like the eventual last holdout of pool players.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
They're definitely drinkers and that's where the most money is...

Jaden

It’s a MONSTER, absolutely a monster. And the size of market isn’t that huge. Meaning the amount of revenue per capita is soooo strong. It’s scalable very easily too. Easier than pool.

It’s a fun game, marketable and social

Best, hope your well,

Fatboy

PS have you see that kid “school boy” arm wrestle? Wow💪💪
Yes, I can't move him. He has a bit to go to be the best, and the WaL isn't really big, so he focuses on Golden Bear and other Russian tournaments where the money is bigger and the best show up.

Darters also do something pool players rarely do. Buy jerseys. They will buy a jersey like Harley people will buy them. 50, 100 jerseys in a closet.
You don't have to add much money, just can't do singles, has to be a blind draw. The level between casual, active, semi-pro, pro is staggering. Oh and we play cricket here.

middleofnowhere

Registered
A pool room in Missouri once told me their money was in the dart leagues.
It requires more defining then that. Do dart players come in because there is pool? Do pool players come in because there is darts? Do they both come in because they serve alcohol? Could they do without any of the three and stay in business?

McDonald's built a billion dollar business with three main items. Burgers, fries and shakes. A business usually requires a number of elements, all valuable. It is best if they augment each other.

I used to go to a pool room that had no alcohol. They sold root beer along with the best home made tuna fish sandwiches and egg salad sandwiches you ever had, an inch thick.

They had a shake machine and made real ice cream and fresh fruit shakes. The amount of sandwiches and shake's they sold everyday was astounding. There are lots of ideas that can be combined with a pool room to make it viable.

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A pool room in Missouri once told me their money was in the dart leagues.
Actually it is in the juke box, the bar and the food..............so what ever pumps those things up helps the pool side of the business survive.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I would refer you to post #142. Take a good look at that sign - GAMING MACHINES! Bingo!!
I was going to mention that earlier. Pool is represented by one small 4 letter word on that sign Nothing else indicating it is a pool room.

It shows their own lack of confidence in the pool being any draw. In fact, nothing on the sign gives a clue who this "Archer" guy is.

Print advertising is tough because you have a limited amount of words to get people's attention and make your sales pitch.

Their pitch is not pool, it is everything but. What percent of this business is actually going to be a pool room?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You are so right! I can remember in 1987 after the Color of Money movie, guys were opening pool rooms who had no idea whatsoever what pool was all about. Just like, if some remember, when everybody jumped into opening a video movie rental store. Very few people open a billiard room for the love of the game, for most they look on it as a money making opportunity and will shed the pool tables and anything to do with the game if another bigger money making opportunity comes along to push it aside- such as poker, corn hole, darts, etc, etc.

Pool will only grow, and, I am afraid, even survive in the U.S. as a professional sport in some form; if there is a ground up approach to bringing youth into the game.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Our pool room here tried adding a darts league before Covid. I guess they had a decent number of teams, but the biggest challenge was there was a number of players that were also trying to play in the pool league on the same night, so a player was often in the wrong room from where he/she was needed...messed up both leagues, allowing them to try and do both.

Not sure if they're gonna try it again or not. They are fairly busy with just pool as it is. (Plus food and bar, of course.) League Mon thru Thur, and tournaments Fri and Sat nights. Owner is always up to try new things tho, so who knows?