Are there pool halls in California?

ppzhao

With California being super lock down, are there any pool halls open? Haven't played pool since March. I'm from bay area, but willing to make a 1-2 hour drive just to play pool again.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With California being super lock down, are there any pool halls open? Haven't played pool since March. I'm from bay area, but willing to make a 1-2 hour drive just to play pool again.

How many pool halls have you called? I don't live anywhere near California but if I were you I would call all the pool halls. I called 40 or so bars in my area to find out what places had pool tables and what places did not.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

California Billiards in Fremont is open

ppzhao

How many pool halls have you called? I don't live anywhere near California but if I were you I would call all the pool halls. I called 40 or so bars in my area to find out what places had pool tables and what places did not.

Whoa, seriously? I called 3 and assumed nobody was open. Damn, 40, dedication.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
RG seemed like US open material at one time. Wonder why he backed off...

Not sure? He was on the streams a lot for a couple of years. Maybe a good decision to run a business but with the hard times right now it must be tough. Either way todays pool scene is a difficult one no matter what side you are on.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whoa, seriously? I called 3 and assumed nobody was open. Damn, 40, dedication.

Yep. We only have 1 pool hall where I live. So it is easy to know if the pool hall is open or closed. But bars with tables we have around 20 of those. I called bars I had never heard of to get an answer. Also I called places like applebees and chillis knowing 99 percent they did not have a pool table just to make sure.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure? He was on the streams a lot for a couple of years. Maybe a good decision to run a business but with the hard times right now it must be tough. Either way todays pool scene is a difficult one no matter what side you are on.

Speaking of hard times, have you heard anything of Hard Times north?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Time to update this thread a little.

Edgie's in Milpitas closed for a while -- the owners decided to retire. It has a new owner who is building it out now. My info says it will have 12 9-foot Diamonds, 14 7-foot Diamonds, and five or six carom tables (perhaps the Chevillottes it used to have). It will also have a full kitchen. They expect to open in January. http://edgiesbilliards.com

The Jointed Cue in Sacramento has reopened after a 4-year lawyer-induced closure. Here's the thread: https://forums.azbilliards.com/thre...re-opened-after-4-years-in-sacramento.536791/

The Broken Rack in Emeryville was bought out by the pot dispensary across the street. Roughly half the room was turned into more dispensary. The remainder has the most bizarre rules for renting tables I've ever seen. If you walk in off the street, you may play for only an hour and then you must leave and not return that day. You can make a reservation for three hours. They kept the two Diamonds and the carom table along with the furniture-style pool tables.

California Billiards in Fremont is open. I think there is reduced food service but there are a couple of new restaurants in that mall. The eight tournament tables are all Diamonds now.

Draw Billiards in Berkeley remains closed.

As always, call first.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Fresno, which is the largest town between Sacramento and Bakersfield on the Hwy 99 trek, the
pool halls open at either 4 or 5 pm. One closes at midnight weekdays, but other is 2 am all the time.

L.S. Dennis

If I’m not mistaken, The Great Entertainer in San Mateo is still open. Other than Town and Country in Daly City, it’s the only left on the peninsula.